PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 US Senior Ladies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

haribobo
11-02-2010, 02:35 AM
Alissa was great! She is going to kick SO much butt at Sectionals. :biggrinbo

:lol: This is the best post you've ever done. This reminds me of that one time Todd Eldredge skated at Sectionals. Fair, and yet, at the same time, totally crazy. Like Sanjaya competing against Melinda Doolittle on American Idol.

chipso1
11-02-2010, 02:41 AM
I hope Alissa gets a bye through Sectionals now! Kind of pointless to make a GP gold medalist compete at a U.S. qualifying event, but stranger things have happened. :rolleyes:

If she does get a bye, it will open up another spot for a Mids girl, which is good since so many are so comparable scores-wise. The top 7 scorers from their respective regionals headed to Mids are:

Tatyana Khazova SW 114.74
Morgan Bell SW 113.84
Katy Jo West SW 113.79
Samiera Abou-Nasr UGL 113.39
Kayla Grayson UGL 112.56
Alicia Hsu EGL 110.79
Maria Sperduto UGL 110.25

In addition to ^, there's also Chelsea Morrow who wasn't required to compete at EGL last month. It's not the toughest region for senior ladies this year, but the top 4 could be different on any given day, IMO.

Marco
11-02-2010, 04:40 AM
Has there been any case where a skater makes GPF but fails to qualify for Nationals?

RFOS
11-02-2010, 04:57 AM
Not that I know of, and making the GPF currently gives a skater a bye to Nationals. But Alissa won't know whether she makes the GPF until after Sectionals, so she needs to compete there (though if she skipped it and made the GPF I think she could still go to Nationals? And also if somehow she somehow didn't place in the top 4 at Sectionals but made the GPF?).

Polymer Bob
11-02-2010, 03:51 PM
My understanding is that making the podium at GPF puts a skater in the A-Envelope. But that just matters for funding. I never heard that making the GPF gives a skater a bye to Nationals.
Then again, I haven't read all the rules.

In any case, Alissa can't take the risk. She has to compete at Sectionals to assure herself a spot at Nationals.

chipso1
11-02-2010, 04:05 PM
In any case, Alissa can't take the risk. She has to compete at Sectionals to assure herself a spot at Nationals.

I'm sure she plans on competing at Mids anyway unless she hears otherwise from TPTB at U.S. Figure Skating.

Sylvia
11-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Not that I know of, and making the GPF currently gives a skater a bye to Nationals.
Correct. This is not a "rule" in the USFS rulebook but a current policy annually set by the chair of USFS' Competitions Committee and made known to all the Senior (and Junior) Grand Prix skaters before the start of the season. It's not something that currently is published online or can be linked to online.

But Alissa won't know whether she makes the GPF until after Sectionals, so she needs to compete there (though if she skipped it and made the GPF I think she could still go to Nationals?
I personally don't think she would risk not competing at Mids unless she was given a late bye by TPTB at USFS (what chipso1 posted above).

And also if somehow she somehow didn't place in the top 4 at Sectionals but made the GPF?).
My assumption is that she could still go to Nationals if she made the GPF. :)

Lanna
11-02-2010, 09:05 PM
It's not something that currently is published online or can be linked to online.

:confused: From the Rulebook (http://www.usfsa.org/Content/2011%20Rulebook.pdf)

3157 If a senior skater who did not place in the top five at the previous U.S.
Figure Skating Championships earns a berth in the ISU Grand Prix Final or
the ISU Junior Grand Prix Final, the skater will receive a bye to the current
U.S. Figure Skating Championships only in the discipline in which they
have earned the berth.

A. In the case of a senior skater, the number of skaters qualifying to U.S.
Figure Skating Championships would be four from each sectional
championship, plus the skaters who placed in the top five at the previous
U.S. Figure Skating Championships, plus the skater(s) who earned a
berth in the ISU championships mentioned above either as a senior or
junior skater.

B. Skaters who meet the requirements of rule 3156 (B) or (C) also qualify
for the U.S. Figure Skating Championships.

3158 A junior skater who earns a berth in either the ISU Grand Prix Final or the
ISU Junior Grand Prix Final will receive a bye to the current U.S.
Championships only in the discipline in which they earned the berth.

A. In the case of a junior skater, the number of skaters qualifying in the
junior events at the U.S. Championships would be four from each
sectional championship plus the skater(s) who earned a berth in the ISU
championships mentioned above.

Personally, I love that they allow someone to qualify for the senior GPF and still skate juniors at nationals. :lol:

Sylvia
11-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the rulebook link, Lanna. :) To clarify/amend my post ;), there is an International Competition Byes document that is issued to all the international selection pool (ISP) skaters before the start of each season by the Chair of USFS' Competitions Committee. This used to be published online but hasn't been in recent years. It shows which international competitions receive byes through Regionals and/or Sectionals and which do not. The 2nd JGP = singles bye through Regionals, which has been in effect for the past several years, is currently not a published rule.

pinky166
11-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Alissa should just compete at sectionals. She will win by a landslide and it will help boost her confidence and give her another chance to compete before TEB. Seems like a win-win situation.

chipso1
11-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Alissa should just compete at sectionals. She will win by a landslide and it will help boost her confidence and give her another chance to compete before TEB. Seems like a win-win situation.

I'm not sure if it's worth the missed training time and travel if she isn't required to compete there. It would be nice for her to get a bye so another Mids sr. lady could get the chance to compete in Greensboro, too.

Theatregirl1122
11-02-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm not sure if it's worth the missed training time and travel if she isn't required to compete there. It would be nice for her to get a bye so another Mids sr. lady could get the chance to compete in Greensboro, too.

Doesn't Alissa train at the Detroit Skating Club? If so, I don't think the travel to Ann Arbor will be much of a hardship.

newbatgirl
11-03-2010, 01:40 AM
Didn't Emily Hughes get a bye to Nats simply by competing at Skate America last year? Or was that a timing thing?

RockTheTassel
11-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Didn't Emily Hughes get a bye to Nats simply by competing at Skate America last year? Or was that a timing thing?

No, Emily had to compete at sectionals in order to qualify for 2010 Nationals.

RD
11-03-2010, 02:02 AM
No, Emily had to compete at sectionals in order to qualify for 2010 Nationals.

Really? I thought she went to the regionals, then once she filled in for Cohen at SA she got a bye through sectionals.