PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 US Senior Ladies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

sk9tingfan
09-20-2010, 03:09 PM
I hope we get updates on Mirai's injury. Somebody posted something over on GoldenSkate I never realized. She has no senior ISU medals. Maybe she will pick up 1 or 2 this Grand Prix.

When you realize that much of her time competing after her championship at Nationals was affected by a significant growth spurt and injuries, her confidence level, etc. had to have been significantly affected. Her performances at Nationals and the Olympics this year as well as her SP at Worlds (before her meltdown during the LP) IMO were more indicative of her true capabilities. It really is a shame that she is injured yet again. I hope she is in true fighting form by January. My expectations of her will be reduced until then.

Polymer Bob
09-20-2010, 04:37 PM
It really is a shame that she is injured yet again. I hope she is in true fighting form by January. My expectations of her will be reduced until then.

It may be true that Mirai won't be in shape until January. But then we run into the old argument - ( that I'm sure will never be settled ) - of how Grand Prix results affect National judging. If Mirai does poorly in the Grand Prix, will that drop her a placement or 2 at Nationals, even if she shows up in shape?

pinky166
09-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Isn't it, though? ;) Look, I guess we'll see on the GP how the international judges react to Agnes' skating. The seemed to like her just fine at Jr. Worlds, so I'm not buying into the doom and gloom just yet. :)

Jenna, Adelina Sotnikova did the 3Lz+3Lo in her FS in Austria this week (I think she's the first since Ando, though).

I hope the new UR rules will encourage a lot more of our girls to start attempting 3/3s at international events. The only way to get better at them is to practice!

So far, the senior ladies are planning/attempting:
--Rachael: 3Lz+3Lo (in practice), 2A+3T
--Agnes: 3T+3T, 2A+3T, 3Lz+3T (in practice)
--Mirai: 3Lz+3T, 2A+3T (from last season)
--Christina: 3F+3T, 2A+3T (in practice)
--Amanda: 3T+3T (from last season)
--Kristiene: 2A+3T
--Yasmin: 3T+3T (in practice this summer)

We could also see attempts from Caroline (3F+3T?), Ashley (3F+3T or 3F+3Lo?) and maybe even Alissa? Nationals will be exciting!

Czisny had a 3t-3t combo planned in her FS back in the 08-09 season, I don't think she even landed it in competition, but I assume she was landing it in practice considering she had it planned in her program. This past season she didn't put the 3t-3t in her LP, but I know way back in 05-06 she was practicing 3lz-3t and even landed it in her 05 SA FS, though it was under-rotated.

UGG
09-20-2010, 05:50 PM
It may be true that Mirai won't be in shape until January. But then we run into the old argument - ( that I'm sure will never be settled ) - of how Grand Prix results affect National judging. If Mirai does poorly in the Grand Prix, will that drop her a placement or 2 at Nationals, even if she shows up in shape?

I doubt it. Do GP results really affect nationals? They did not work in Ashley's favor last year.

sk9tingfan
09-20-2010, 05:55 PM
I doubt it. Do GP results really affect nationals? They did not work in Ashley's favor last year.

I tend to agree with you. While Ashley did relatively well at the Grand Prix, she had certain shortcomings that were recognized at the time, i.e., two footing certain jumps. Rachael got a bump from Skate America at Nationals, but suffered by comparison at the Olympics and Worlds. IMO, that suggests that US judges should be more circumspect about using their judging for making political statements about the "chosen ones". It could backfire on them again.

haribobo
09-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Summer Rankings thru September 20, 2010

TIER 1 (Top 6 @ 2010 or 150+)
Agnes Zawadzki 187
Christina Gao 167
Rachael Flatt 163
Vanessa Lam 158
Ashley Wagner 153
Kristiene Gong 153
Mirai Nagasu
Amanda Dobbs

TIER 2 (Top 12 @ 2010 or 140+)
Samantha Cesario 147
Raina Narita 141
Yasmin Siraj 140
Alissa Czisny
Caroline Zhang
Kristine Musademba
Alexe Gilles 119
Melissa Bulanhagui 110

TIER 3
Lindsay Davis 135
Karen Zhou 135
Joelle Forte 129
Carolyn Ann Alba 127
Kiri Baga 116
Becky Bereswill
Felicia Zhang

Sylvia
09-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Here's an updated Senior Ladies list by region (Regional & Sectional byes are not indicated at this time but hopefully soon!): http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/scoretracker/2010-2011-senior-ladies-results/

pinky166
09-20-2010, 07:25 PM

That's because though Ashley made the GPF and no other girls did, the scores she earned in those competitions were very comparable to those put up by Czisny, Nagasu, Flatt. And then when the GPF rolled around and Ashley had a great opportunity to medal after Rochette and Leonova bombed and Kim and Ando skated cautiously, she skated about as well as she could in both programs and still wound up placing 4th with a score well off of 3rd place.

Polymer Bob
09-20-2010, 08:27 PM

I think this was correct …….. for last year. At last year’s Grand Prix, several U.S. ladies did fairly well, but not great. This caused very little effect at Nationals. However, I do believe that when a skater has a remarkable performance in the GP, …. remarkably good or remarkably bad, …. this will have an effect on National scores.

As much as we want to see her there, Mirai may have to make a very hard decision on the GP if she is not back in shape. :(

stjeaskategym
09-20-2010, 08:44 PM
So about Lindsay Davis definitely being able to make it out of sectionals this year, if she skates like she did in Graz, I don't see that happening. 12th at a JGP is not that impressive, and her score was pretty low, significantly lower than the scores Ellie was putting up last year on the JGP. I don't know what happened in the FS but Lindsay hardly rotated anything. Too bad too because I quite liked her SP.

I still think barring a meltdown, Davis would be fine at Sectionals. Her Graz FS was a meltdown, and she can skate a lot better than what she did. Her SP was well received considering she popped the 3Lo into a double. In the LP, she ended up popping just about everything. Clearly, she can do better.

That's because though Ashley made the GPF and no other girls did, the scores she earned in those competitions were very comparable to those put up by Czisny, Nagasu, Flatt. And then when the GPF rolled around and Ashley had a great opportunity to medal after Rochette and Leonova bombed and Kim and Ando skated cautiously, she skated about as well as she could in both programs and still wound up placing 4th with a score well off of 3rd place.

True. I thought despite Nagasu's lower GP placements, she demonstrated higher scoring potential on the Grand Prix than Wagner. Wagner skated very well on the GP and didn't score all that great compared to Nagasu who made many mistakes. Even still, Wagner came pretty darn close to making the Olympic team even with a fall in the SP, so I don't see any evidence of Wagner's good GP results "not working in her favor" at Nationals.

smarts1
09-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Isn't it, though? ;) Look, I guess we'll see on the GP how the international judges react to Agnes' skating. The seemed to like her just fine at Jr. Worlds, so I'm not buying into the doom and gloom just yet. :)

Jenna, Adelina Sotnikova did the 3Lz+3Lo in her FS in Austria this week (I think she's the first since Ando, though).

I hope the new UR rules will encourage a lot more of our girls to start attempting 3/3s at international events. The only way to get better at them is to practice!

So far, the senior ladies are planning/attempting:
--Rachael: 3Lz+3Lo (in practice), 2A+3T
--Agnes: 3T+3T, 2A+3T, 3Lz+3T (in practice)
--Mirai: 3Lz+3T, 2A+3T (from last season)
--Christina: 3F+3T, 2A+3T (in practice)
--Amanda: 3T+3T (from last season)
--Kristiene: 2A+3T
--Yasmin: 3T+3T (in practice this summer)

We could also see attempts from Caroline (3F+3T?), Ashley (3F+3T or 3F+3Lo?) and maybe even Alissa? Nationals will be exciting!

Ashley said in an interview that she really wants to go for a 3F-3T in her short and long this season, as well as possibly a 2A-3T. I think her team has scraped the 3F-3Lp, which is a bummer because no one does that combo anymore.

Caroline should most likely have a triple-triple in her programs (unless Gambill decides against it, which to me would be bizarre).

pinky166
09-20-2010, 09:59 PM
True. I thought despite Nagasu's lower GP placements, she demonstrated higher scoring potential on the Grand Prix than Wagner. Wagner skated very well on the GP and didn't score all that great compared to Nagasu who made many mistakes. Even still, Wagner came pretty darn close to making the Olympic team even with a fall in the SP, so I don't see any evidence of Wagner's good GP results "not working in her favor" at Nationals.

Agreed. Ashley got very high scores at Nationals, especially when you consider the scores Alissa and Caroline got at nationals (though neither skated very well), in comparison. Mirai was the wildcard at nationals who happened to deliver, had she not been clean in the SP or had made visible errors in the FS, Ashley would have gone to Vancouver instead of her.

Polymer Bob
09-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Caroline should most likely have a triple-triple in her programs (unless Gambill decides against it, which to me would be bizarre).

Absolutely. Even a triple-triple with a mule-kick would be better than none.

pinky166
09-21-2010, 02:11 AM
Absolutely. Even a triple-triple with a mule-kick would be better than none.

Especially with the new rule on URs. Caroline has been consistently landing 3f-3t for the past few seasons even though usually the second jump is UR, with the new rules, she'll still gain points doing a 3f-3t< over a 3f-2t.

Triple Butz
09-21-2010, 02:16 AM
Especially with the new rule on URs. Caroline has been consistently landing 3f-3t for the past few seasons even though usually the second jump is UR, with the new rules, she'll still gain points doing a 3f-3t< over a 3f-2t.

Actually, I think she's gotten credit for it more times than not. It may be an ugly combination, but she usually manages to whip the toe around fast enough.