PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 US Senior Ladies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

smarts1
09-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Christina Gao is also very convincing this season thusfar, having won the silver medal (with a 22 point gap between 2nd and 3rd and who cares about those Russian ladies) at JGP Austria (her spins have imrpoved somewhat!).

This season is going to be interesting! We'll have to see what happens the other top runners!

As for Rachael, she always starts out somewhat slow and not on her A-game (which explains why she hasn't qualified for the GPF as of yet.)

smarts1
09-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Here's Gao's LP from Austria....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEVXvJ0Q3fY

Polymer Bob
09-19-2010, 09:41 PM
This season is going to be interesting! We'll have to see what happens the other top runners!

We haven't seen Alissa, Mirai or Caroline skate yet. We will probably not know how they are doing until the Grand Prix.

B.Cooper
09-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Rachael's FS from Sarah and Drew:

Great job by Rachael! :) This is exactly what she needed after a subpar SP, and I'm so happy for her!

Flatt had smokin' 3Lutz-3Loop combo in the warm up for the SP and LP. Just looks like it isn't quite consitent yet...so, her scores will continue to go up! ;)
A new look for her this season...love the short hair, a new sense of movement across the ice IMO, very character driven programs, great choreo and her fluidity has improved!

DickButtonFan
09-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Agnes has nice jumps but I don't like her spirals, spins, or choreography. I think mirai has it all, well above the others, but of course we don't know how her injury will affect things plus she needs to be consistent. Agnes could place top 3 especially if others make mistakes which is highly possible. Her jumps are huge.

oleada
09-19-2010, 10:38 PM
I think Agnes has a lot of the strengths and weaknesses of any Tom Z. skater.

Jenna
09-20-2010, 12:52 AM
I think Agnes' spins and spirals are actually quite good...one could argue about choreography though.

Jayar
09-20-2010, 02:09 AM
Oh, right. I didn't think of this possibility.

That is my understanding as well. Thanks for explaining it more clearly!
\

That was what I was asking...

smarts1
09-20-2010, 02:20 AM
We haven't seen Alissa, Mirai or Caroline skate yet. We will probably not know how they are doing until the Grand Prix.

Mirai might be the one with the setback, but I'm sure she'll be fine.

Caroline and Alissa have both made significant coaching changes (and reports have said that Caroline has improved immensely), so I'm assuming the only way they can go is up and better.

stjeaskategym
09-20-2010, 03:39 AM
Polymer Bob if you have seen Agnes skate recently you would not be making that comment. Agnes is the clearly superior and getting better. I know you might think I'm a homer for Agnes, but that is not the case. I have seen a lot of skating, Agnes has it all including the rare combination of strength and flexibility. I think an argument could be made that she was the best female last year.

I think Polymer Bob was pretty spot on in saying the U.S. doesn't really have one US lady clearly superior to the others. Agnes is a great skater, but I think it's way too soon to call her "clearly superior" to all the other US ladies. She hasn't even competed in any "real" Sr competitions against the top Sr ladies yet. If I'm looking at the overall package, I still prefer Mirai, but Agnes is getting better and no doubt she's a great jumper.

bek
09-20-2010, 03:42 AM
Yeah I'm not so sure Agnes is clearly superior. I think Mirai is the top US lady right now and will be unless Agnes REALLY cuts it up a storm on the GP, and the problem for Agnes is I do think her speed and stroking will potentially hold her back from the top ranks.

chipso1
09-20-2010, 03:53 AM
Agnes' speed is adequate -- she's not slow and she's not lightning fast.

Compared to some of the other U.S. ladies, she doesn't have the most difficult Grand Prix events. In Canada, her main competition will be Lepisto, Phaneuf, Czisny and Makarova, none of which are known for their consistency (though all get nice PCS). She needs to hit the 3T+3T in the SP to stay with Lepisto and Makarova, IMO.

In Russia, she's up against Ando, Makarova, Suzuki and Wagner. I could see Agnes taking silver or bronze at at least one of these events, if not both. She kind of lucked out in the fact that she doesn't meet up with Asada, Flatt or Nagasu in her events.

bek
09-20-2010, 03:55 AM
Agnes' speed is adequate -- she's not slow and she's not lightning fast.

Compared to some of the other U.S. ladies, she doesn't have the most difficult Grand Prix events. In Canada, her main competition will be Lepisto, Phaneuf, Czisny and Makarova, none of which are known for their consistency (though all get nice PCS). She needs to hit the 3T+3T in the SP to stay with Lepisto and Makarova, IMO.

In Russia, she's up against Ando, Makarova, Suzuki and Wagner. I could see Agnes taking silver or bronze at at least one of these events, if not both. She kind of lucked out in the fact that she doesn't meet up with Asada, Flatt or Nagasu in her events.

Her speed will hold her back from world podiums. With Mirai, all she needs is for her jumps to get credited and she's fighting for world podium spots.

pinky166
09-20-2010, 03:55 AM
So about Lindsay Davis definitely being able to make it out of sectionals this year, if she skates like she did in Graz, I don't see that happening. 12th at a JGP is not that impressive, and her score was pretty low, significantly lower than the scores Ellie was putting up last year on the JGP. I don't know what happened in the FS but Lindsay hardly rotated anything. Too bad too because I quite liked her SP.

chipso1
09-20-2010, 04:04 AM
Her speed will hold her back from world podiums. With Mirai, all she needs is for her jumps to get credited and she's fighting for world podium spots.

I disagree about Agnes. I feel like this is beating a dead horse, but if you've seen her skate live and in person, you'll notice she's not slow. Please don't use grainy quality YouTube videos to judge her speed by. Yes, she's NOT Carolina Kostner when it comes to this area, but she's NOT slow either, and to be honest, I can't see her PCS (especially for skating skills) being low if she skates lights-out.

And while Mirai is my favorite U.S. lady, that's a big *if* with her at this point, especially if she's battling back from injury. I would love to see her on the World podium this year, but she needs to overcome her nerves-induced underrotating.