PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 US Senior Ladies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Polymer Bob
09-10-2010, 12:28 PM
I think that's how it always worked. If a skater has a bye through Sectionals, but must compete at Regionals, he must do well enough at Regionals to get to Sectionals. Otherwise the bye is forfeit.

Sylvia
09-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Vanessa Lam, who turned 15 in June and was 8th in Junior at 2010 U.S. Nationals, won the Senior Ladies event at the Golden West club competition this past weekend with a total score of 158.19

I was there [at Golden West] ... she [Vanessa Lam] fell twice in the long (triple toe and her triple flip, I believe). Her spins are fabulous and the attention to detail in her choreography has been improved immensely.
I read a report over at the Golden Skate forum that Lam's Senior SP is to "Time to Say Goodbye" and her jumps were 3Lz+2Lo, 3F fall, "beautiful spread eagles into 2a."

She is coached by the 1975 World Champion Diane DeLeeuw and Douglas Chapman and I'm told that her family heritage is Vietnamese ("Lam" can also be a Chinese/Cantonese name).

Polymer Bob
09-10-2010, 09:11 PM
I used to work with a Vietnamese guy named Lam. I think his grandfather was European. Our production floor was really hot in the summer. He used to take a towel that was damp with sweat, and fling it around his body like Bruce Lee working nunchucks. :lol:

madm
09-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Amanda Dobbs has been assigned to the Finlandia Trophy (Oct. 8-10), giving her a bye through CP Regionals. Her Cup of China assignment gives her a bye through the Pacific Coast Sectionals.

Can someone clarify? I believe the bye through Sectionals is only for singles. She must still compete in pairs at Sectionals, right?

chipso1
09-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Can someone clarify? I believe the bye through Sectionals is only for singles. She must still compete in pairs at Sectionals, right?

Yes. Her bye is for singles.

crzesk8dad
09-13-2010, 04:44 AM
Yes. Her bye is for singles.

But Chips01, since Cup of China (Nov 5-8) is immediately before Pacific Coast (Nov 9 to 12) wouldn't that come into play and give her a bye for the pair team as well?

Jenna
09-13-2010, 04:52 AM
Yes, it would. Looks as if Dobbs really lucked out.

chipso1
09-13-2010, 05:38 AM
But Chips01, since Cup of China (Nov 5-8) is immediately before Pacific Coast (Nov 9 to 12) wouldn't that come into play and give her a bye for the pair team as well?

I didn't realize they were separated by one day...I suppose it does, though has this situation ever come up before? I do wonder if the USFS will grant Dobbs/Jacobsen an automatic bye to Nationals, especially since they've only competed at Indy this season, IIRC. Perhaps they'll be monitored in late November/early December? I'm not sure.

Sylvia, you ALWAYS have the answers! ;) What's the deal here? :)

stjeaskategym
09-13-2010, 05:41 AM
Yes, it would. Looks as if Dobbs really lucked out.

In that case, Dobbs might as well sign up for ice dance and get a bye to Nationals in all three disciplines. :lol: Why should having a singles bye have anything to do with a pairs bye? I wonder if she would receive a pairs bye if she was, say, on a brand new Novice pair team as opposed to a Sr pair team with Nationals experience.

Not that Dobbs even needs a pairs bye because I'm pretty sure when only 4 skaters/teams are registered for Sectionals, they have the option of not competing there since all 4 will automatically advance to Nationals (or at least that's how I remember it working in the past). But still... I would find it bizarre if Dobbs got a pairs bye without having to do anything in pairs at all, yet Czisny may have to squeeze Sectionals in with two GPs. :lol:

stjeaskategym
09-13-2010, 05:59 AM
I didn't realize they were separated by one day...I suppose it does, though has this situation ever come up before? I do wonder if the USFS will grant Dobbs/Jacobsen an automatic bye to Nationals, especially since they've only competed at Indy this season, IIRC.

Felicia Zhang would be in a similar situation if she and Taylor Toth had received a Skate America slot (and therefore a pairs bye to Nationals)... Would Felicia get a bye to Nationals in Senior Ladies as well (assuming she made it through Regionals)?

It's an interesting situation.

chipso1
09-13-2010, 06:21 AM
Not that Dobbs even needs a pairs bye because I'm pretty sure when only 4 skaters/teams are registered for Sectionals, they have the option of not competing there since all 4 will automatically advance to Nationals (or at least that's how I remember it working in the past). But still... I would find it bizarre if Dobbs got a pairs bye without having to do anything in pairs at all, yet Czisny may have to squeeze Sectionals in with two GPs. :lol:

Yes, but I believe there could be more than 4 teams competing out of Pacs this season (some have options of which Sectional to compete out of): Dobbs/Jacobsen, Marley/Brubaker, Davis/Leftheris, Vise/Baldwin, and Chase/Marron.

Sylvia
09-13-2010, 06:30 AM
I don't believe Amanda Dobbs is guaranteed a Senior pairs bye through Sectionals due to her Cup of China singles assignment, but Dobbs/Jacobsen may not have to compete at Pacific Coast Sectionals anyway because there will likely not be more than 4 Senior pairs per sectional this year.

Yes, but I believe there could be more than 4 teams competing out of Pacs this season (some have options of which Sectional to compete out of): Dobbs/Jacobsen, Marley/Brubaker, Davis/Leftheris, Vise/Baldwin, and Chase/Marron.
Here's the thread for projected U.S. Pairs and Dance teams at Sectionals that indicates the currently known Senior pairs Sectional distribution at this time: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74733

stjeaskategym
09-13-2010, 07:37 AM

No Chase/Marron, he is retired... So if Dobbs/Jacobsen want to skip Sectionals, they can. That might be a little disappointing though, for Jacobsen especially, since they have not gotten to compete much this season as a pair, so maybe they will try to squeeze it in and make it work around Amanda's busy singles schedule.

Stephanie
09-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Felicia Zhang would be in a similar situation if she and Taylor Toth had received a Skate America slot (and therefore a pairs bye to Nationals)... Would Felicia get a bye to Nationals in Senior Ladies as well (assuming she made it through Regionals)?

It's an interesting situation.

Or Lindsay Davis if she and Themi get SA or even Ice Challenge (Senior B), which I don't think is really fair as I think she'd have a very difficult time getting out of sectionals this year.

haribobo
09-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Or Lindsay Davis if she and Themi get SA or even Ice Challenge (Senior B), which I don't think is really fair as I think she'd have a very difficult time getting out of sectionals this year.

Who else are you expecting to contend besides Vanessa Lam, Karen Zhou, and Kristiene Gong? At this point I'd say Lindsay has at least a 50/50 shot.