PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 US Senior Ladies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Jayar
09-09-2010, 07:57 PM
It's looking like some of the Grand Prix Senior ladies with byes through Sectionals still may have to compete at heir respective Regionals -- Dobbs (CP), Musademba (SA), Gilles & Zawadzki (SW). Fortunately, as long as they place in the top 4 of their Regional (to be eligible for their bye from Sectionals to Nationals), none of them should take a Sectionals spot from the 5th or 6th (in SW) place finisher at Regionals.

So, Sylvia... If one of Zawadzki or Gilles is in the top 4 at SWP, and the other is 5th. Do they keep their bye?

gkelly
09-09-2010, 08:05 PM
The loop was fine, IMO. I'm surprised her combo spin and spiral sequence were both called level 1, too. In rewatching that video, I timed her positions at 3 seconds, 5 seconds and 4 seconds. Under the 08-09 rules, with those times and the difficult variations she did, wouldn't that be a level 3? I can't remember if the SpSq rules changed between the 08-09 season and the 09-10 season...

Just guessing.

The first spiral position was barely 3 seconds. If the panel timed it at less, then she didn't have an inside edge spiral that counted, which was required in the short program.

Similarly in the combo spin, the forward sit and the layback were barely 2 revolutions (the back sit definitely less than 2). Hard to tell exactly without slow motion. If either of them didn't count, then she was missing a basic sit or a basic upright position, which are required in the short program spin combo.

That may have been a very picky tech panel.

Coco
09-09-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm basically making an emotional argument. I do think the 3loop was fine, though. And from what I can recall of the rules that season, she should have had at least an L2 for the combo spin.

For the spirals, I remember the rule is pretty harsh in the SP. She did bobble and appear to drop her leg fairly low in her first spiral, before the COE, but not sure about the impact of that.

Maybe she was really slow, but even so, her PCS marks, and the paltry +GOE on her 2a only serve to reinforce my opinion that she got jobbed a bit here.

ETA: For a point of comparison, Rachael Flatt (3rd in SP) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBHWWL-C_KQ

And Fumie Suguri (1st in SP) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgvjcie5Ct8&NR=1

Polymer Bob
09-09-2010, 08:09 PM
When Mira Leung got low scores at her last Canadian nationals, somebody called it, "Go away marks". :(

crzesk8dad
09-09-2010, 08:10 PM
So, Sylvia... If one of Zawadzki or Gilles is in the top 4 at SWP, and the other is 5th. Do they keep their bye?

What bye would they have? If they have to compete at their regional (btw Z and G would be at SW not SWP), it's because they don't qualify for the bye (one week away at an International prior to or after the regionals, etc)?

Right? :huh:

Sylvia
09-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Jayar was referring to Zawadzki's and Gilles' projected bye through Midwestern Sectionals. I wrote: "... as long as they [Zawadzki and Gilles] place in the top 4 of their Regional (to be eligible for their bye from Sectionals to Nationals)"... so the answer to Jayar's question is no, they both would have to place 4th or higher at SW.

chipso1
09-09-2010, 08:18 PM
What bye would they have? If they have to compete at their regional (btw Z and G would be at SW not SWP), it's because they don't qualify for the bye (one week away at an International prior to or after the regionals, etc)?

Right? :huh:

They have a bye through Sectionals, though (due to GP assignments). What's unclear now is whether their GPs give them a bye through Regionals as well. If not, then both would technically have to compete at Regionals because neither was top 5 in senior at Nationals last year.

chipso1
09-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Amanda Dobbs has been assigned to the Finlandia Trophy (Oct. 8-10), giving her a bye through CP Regionals. Her Cup of China assignment gives her a bye through the Pacific Coast Sectionals.

Sylvia
09-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Dobbs trains in SWP but her Regional is still Central Pacific (Peninsula SC). Never mind, it's been corrected. :)

haribobo
09-09-2010, 09:43 PM

The 5th place person would be eliminated. No bye, dunzo. Enjoy your GP event, and enjoy your competition-free 2011 year. :P Now, are there realistically 4 SW ladies that can beat Gilles? I really doubt it.

jlai
09-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Megan Oster placed 5th at Upper Great Lakes Regionals in 07-08 and didn't make it to sectionals and didn't qualify, though she had 2 gps (she eventually withdrew from both so we didn't get to see the awkward 2GP-skaters-not-making-nationals scenario).

pinky166
09-10-2010, 02:59 AM
The 5th place person would be eliminated. No bye, dunzo. Enjoy your GP event, and enjoy your competition-free 2011 year. :P Now, are there realistically 4 SW ladies that can beat Gilles? I really doubt it.

Depends on which Gilles shows up to SW sectionals....

5Ali3
09-10-2010, 04:22 AM
Jayar was referring to Zawadzki's and Gilles' projected bye through Midwestern Sectionals. I wrote: "... as long as they [Zawadzki and Gilles] place in the top 4 of their Regional (to be eligible for their bye from Sectionals to Nationals)"... so the answer to Jayar's question is no, they both would have to place 4th or higher at SW.

Respectfully, I'm not sure this is clear - let's call them Smith and Jones instead. Say Smith places 4th and Jones 5th. Smith qualifies for Sectionals, but has an international conflict, and is byed to Nationals. Jones becomes one of the top four competitors from that Regional and qualifies for Sectionals once Smith accepts her international bye. Then Jones has an international conflict and is eligible for a bye to Nationals.

This is dependent, of course, on one of the original top four skaters withdrawing from Mids. If Smith places fifth and all four skaters who placed above her compete at Mids, then Smith is not eligible for a bye, regardless of her international conflict.

As always, let's hope we don't have to find out!

Sylvia
09-10-2010, 04:29 AM
Say Smith places 4th and Jones 5th. Smith qualifies for Sectionals, but has an international conflict, and is byed to Nationals. Jones becomes one of the top four competitors from that Regional and qualifies for Sectionals once Smith accepts her international bye. Then Jones has an international conflict and is eligible for a bye to Nationals.
Oh, right. I didn't think of this possibility.

If Smith places fifth and all four skaters who placed above her compete at Mids, then Smith is not eligible for a bye, regardless of her international conflict.
That is my understanding as well. Thanks for explaining it more clearly!

crzesk8dad
09-10-2010, 04:44 AM
They have a bye through Sectionals, though (due to GP assignments). What's unclear now is whether their GPs give them a bye through Regionals as well. If not, then both would technically have to compete at Regionals because neither was top 5 in senior at Nationals last year.

Thanks Chips01 and Sylvia..I get it.