PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 US Senior Ladies

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Sylvia
06-15-2010, 12:00 AM
So Kiri is going to compete as a senior at nationals, yes? Sounds like it based on the fact she's signed up to compete as a senior at upcoming competitions.
Unfortunately, Kiri Baga tweeted today that she has a stress fracture (doesn't mention where) and that she will be "Off for a couple weeks. :( I'll be back to normal in no time."

Any word on whether Agnes decided on JGP or SGP for the upcoming season?
Senior GP, as we now know.

Is it possible for a skater to get 2 GP assignments, and still have to do Regionals and/or Sectionals?
In recent years, skaters with 2 GP assignments have not had to compete at Regionals or Sectionals, but the skaters have to wait for an official confirmation from USFS about this.

chipso1
06-15-2010, 01:36 AM
From the new SKATING magazine re: Agnes Zawadzki...

To make the jump to the senior level, she has been working on triple-triple combinations. Already in her arsenal are a triple toe-triple toe and a double Axel-triple toe. Zakrajsek said that she is working on a triple Lutz-triple toe combination as well as the daunting triple Axel.

pinky166
06-15-2010, 03:45 AM
From the new SKATING magazine re: Agnes Zawadzki...

Sounds good, I think especially with the new rules about URs, we'll see a lot more ladies attempt 3-3s this season.

Marco
06-15-2010, 03:52 AM
I think it's much more important for her to work on her speed. Did the article mention that anywhere?

chipso1
06-15-2010, 03:56 AM
I think it's much more important for her to work on her speed. Did the article mention that anywhere?

No, but having seen her live at Nationals, I must say that her speed was completely adequate. I'm not quite sure where all these reports about her Caroline Zhang-esque slowness are coming from...:confused:

pinky166
06-15-2010, 04:16 AM
No, but having seen her live at Nationals, I must say that her speed was completely adequate. I'm not quite sure where all these reports about her Caroline Zhang-esque slowness are coming from...:confused:

Agnes is really tall for a skater at 5'6", so while she may be slow for someone her size, I feel like her speed is probably perfectly adequate due to her long legs.

Marco
06-15-2010, 04:27 AM
Watching her at Junior Worlds I had 2 impressions re: power and speed

1. she was skating slowly
2. her stroking wasn't very efficient

Her speed was adequate in the sense that she was able to rotate and land her jumps with the speed she had going into them; but from a competitive standpoint, her lack of speed was apparent and that could affect GOEs as well as PCS.

chipso1
06-15-2010, 04:50 AM

Her speed was adequate in the sense that she was able to rotate and land her jumps with the speed she had going into them; but from a competitive standpoint, her lack of speed was apparent and that could affect GOEs as well as PCS.

The version of her Jr. Worlds free skate that I uploaded to YouTube is kind of messed up (if that's the version you're referring to). If you notice, even her jump rotations are slowed down, and when I play the video directly on my computer in WMP, the same thing happens. I'm not sure if the file is too big for YouTube to process or what (the file is 160 MB).

jlai
06-15-2010, 05:34 AM

I adore Agnes' jumps; they're a thing of beauty. But I also think her stroking isn't very efficient, but then I'm no expert so we'll see what happens on gp. I suspect her height might be more of an issue since she's already 5'6''

Marco
06-15-2010, 07:47 AM
I adore Agnes' jumps; they're a thing of beauty. But I also think her stroking isn't very efficient, but then I'm no expert so we'll see what happens on gp. I suspect her height might be more of an issue since she's already 5'6''

Her lutz is absolutely glorious.

Speaking of height, isn't Nicole Bobek also 5'5 (and now Mirai Nagasu must be 5'4?)?

pinky166
06-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Her lutz is absolutely glorious.

Speaking of height, isn't Nicole Bobek also 5'5 (and now Mirai Nagasu must be 5'4?)?

An article before the Olympics said Mirai was 5'3.5" which I think is about right because she didn't look much bigger than Rachael, Ashley, and Sasha who are all about 5'2" in the podium pictures from nationals. Further, those couple inches can make a difference. Lots of successful ladies singles skaters are 5'4" (Yuna, Mao, Miki, Alissa, Caroline, Sarah Meier, Laura, half the ladies at US nationals, a lot og the juniors, etc), but only a handful are 5'6" or 5'7", virtually none are taller than that. It may be a coincidence that Carolina, Cynthia, Alexe, and Kiira all struggle with their jump consistency, but it may also have something to do with the fact that they are all 5'6" or 5'7".

pinky166
06-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Oh and I wonder if Agnes is working on fixing the lip yet. I know Tom helped Rachael successfully fix her flutz so maybe he can do the same for Agnes's lip?

shan
06-15-2010, 02:58 PM

Most skaters coached by Tom Zakrajsek are either adequate or slow. I don't know how much that will be addressed. I hope it will!

smarts1
06-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Oh and I wonder if Agnes is working on fixing the lip yet. I know Tom helped Rachael successfully fix her flutz so maybe he can do the same for Agnes's lip?

Tom said he would work on that in the off season in an interview after Junior Worlds.

I think the other thing Agnes has to fix is her right arm/shoulder. It needs to be pulled back further to ensure she has enough torque for the rotation and to ensure she doesn't overrotate the takeoff.

Sylvia
06-19-2010, 04:01 PM
A few updates...

Kiri Baga - registered for Senior at a Minnesota club comp. in late June
Unfortunately, Kiri tweeted this week that her injury (unspecified stress fracture) will keep her off the ice for 2 more weeks, plus 2 additional weeks of no jumping after that. So it appears her competition debut will delayed for a while. :(

Reposting the following about Amanda Dobbs from the Programs thread in GSD:

Amanda debuted her short program a couple of weeks ago at the Central Valley Open [June 4-5] and landed the 3 Flip in the program.
Registered for the Senior Ladies event at L.A. Open in mid-July: Kristiene Gong (her debut with Frank Carroll), Karen Zhou (Angela Nikodinov is listed as a coach) and Lindsay Davis.

Vanessa Lam currently has the highest Senior Ladies club comp. score of the young season (146.77 at the All Year FSC comp. in early June).

A friendly public service reminder that the Kiss and Cry forum where summer competition news, events & results are discussed will require a Season Pass or paid subscription starting on July 1st -- see this thread in the Board Business forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73939