PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 US Senior Ladies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

chipso1
09-07-2010, 01:01 AM
A little OT hre, but did Lam really achieve that total score with 3 falls in the competition? If that is true, I cannot wait to see how high she scoes if she goes clean.

Are you looking at the protocols? Or how do you know Lam fell 3 times? I haven't found Sr. Ladies FS jump notes anywhere online yet...

Stephanie
09-07-2010, 01:03 AM
Interesting point. Can the USFSA stop a skater from going to a foreign Grand Prix event?
Can the USFSA stop a skater from going to the Final?

Yes, USFS could refuse to submit a skater's name to the Grand Prix pool/selection group. There were rumors that Skate Canada did this a few years ago with Sandhu, IIRC.

Jenna
09-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Are you looking at the protocols? Or how do you know Lam fell 3 times? I haven't found Sr. Ladies FS jump notes anywhere online yet...

Someone posted that upthread.

Polymer Bob
09-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Yes, USFS could refuse to submit a skater's name to the Grand Prix pool/selection group. There were rumors that Skate Canada did this a few years ago with Sandhu, IIRC.

Yes they could. But can the USFSA stop a skater who has already been selected? I suppose something drastic would have to happen for them to try to do something like that.

Sylvia
09-07-2010, 01:39 AM
Here was the earlier post from someone who was at Golden West:
Vanessa had a fall in the short and two falls in the long and still received the highest score in the competition by over 44 points. Her artistry has immensely improved from what I saw last season.

Vanessa Lam's total FS segment score was 106.08. Someone passed along the FS score breakdown to me as follows: 58.78 TES and 49.30 PCS with -2 in deductions.

Coco
09-07-2010, 01:50 AM
Yes they could. But can the USFSA stop a skater who has already been selected? I suppose something drastic would have to happen for them to try to do something like that.

I think they can. Skaters with international assignments, in years past, had to be monitored or compete at a summer competition in order to be approved for their trip, since USFS is footing the bill for GP competitors.

It was after such a monitoring session that Kimmie w/drew from her GP, which nullified her sectionals (or was it regionals) bye, and ended her season.

Polymer Bob
09-07-2010, 02:01 AM
It was after such a monitoring session that Kimmie w/drew from her GP, which nullified her sectionals (or was it regionals) bye, and ended her season.

Can you imagine how sad that would have sounded at a regional?

"And next to skate ...... former National, Four Continents and World champion .......
..................... KIMMIE MEISSNER !!!!" :(

Sylvia
09-07-2010, 02:03 AM
Uh, PolymerBob, skaters are announced at Regionals/Sectionals/Nationals by name and the club they represent. That's it.

I think they can. Skaters with international assignments, in years past, had to be monitored or compete at a summer competition in order to be approved for their trip, since USFS is footing the bill for GP competitors.
USFS foots the bill for all the Skate America competitors (U.S. and foreign) and the expenses for the U.S. skaters' coaches at the GP events, but the other 5 GP host federations cover the expenses for the invited skaters.

I don't recall a specific monitoring session for Meissner last summer that led to her withdrawal? All I remember is that she was not able to compete/be monitored in a required summer competition (I think it was Skate Detroit originally) and subsequently she withdrew herself from both of her GP events. ETA link to Meissner's GP withdrawal press release on Oct. 8, 2009: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=43610&type=news

Sylvia
09-07-2010, 02:44 AM
Back on topic...

Seeing as this is the senior ladies thread though anyone know if Blake Rosenthal is going to compete this season? I know she's starting Harvard, but it is very close to the Skating Club of Boston, so potentially she could train there if she wanted to continue.
I posted back on page 2 of this thread that I had heard (unofficially) that Blake Rosenthal was retiring from competitive skating. I think it would be very difficult for someone to attend Harvard full-time and continue to train at a high level (as Emily Hughes can attest). Rosenthal did register for the U.S. Collegiate Championships last month but did not compete. Brittney Rizo did compete at Collegiates (after taking the 2009-10 season off to enjoy her freshman year at college), but I haven't heard whether or not she has entered New England Regionals.

Polymer Bob
09-07-2010, 03:24 AM
Apparently, Kimmie has learned an important principle ..........
........................... Vote early, and vote often. :D

http://www.exploreharford.com/news/5874/early-voting-kicks-off-harford-friday-polls-opened-10-am-bel-air/

stjeaskategym
09-07-2010, 03:31 AM
Here was the earlier post from someone who was at Golden West:
Vanessa Lam's total FS segment score was 106.08. Someone passed along the FS score breakdown to me as follows: 58.78 TES and 49.30 PCS with -2 in deductions.

That's quite a score with two falls. It's only a summer competition, but still.

RD
09-07-2010, 03:43 AM
What did I tell people about Christina? It seems to me that she is living up to her hype, and what's better is that score she posted was at the very beginning of the summer and she achieved it without using all her jumping passes (she did two combos only, and each one only had 2 jumps, had she done another 3 jump combo her score would have been even higher) :)

ONE summer comp and you're saying this? Again, we must wait to see if a) she can make a smooth transition to the top level of senior competition and b) if she has any staying power. Even with Mirai Nagasu I'd say we only know a) about her, and not b). Let alone Gao or that other girl...

Polymer Bob
09-07-2010, 03:43 AM
That's quite a score with two falls. It's only a summer competition, but still.

Perhaps someone saw the -2 deduction and assumed they were falls.

Jenna
09-07-2010, 03:58 AM
It could be one fall and a time violation...but who knows. In any case, that's a great score. I mean, she would've beat Cohen in the FS last year..and according to Sylvia's TES/PCS breakdown, she would've beat Mirai on the TES.

RD
09-07-2010, 04:05 AM

I remember there was a big stink raised on the boards that she should have been waived through, or at least given a private session, but she wouldn't have been ready by January anyway. She was dead in the water as soon as she got injured

Anyway, back on topic:

It could be one fall and a time violation...but who knows. In any case, that's a great score. I mean, she would've beat Cohen in the FS last year..and according to Sylvia's TES/PCS breakdown, she would've beat Mirai on the TES.

Can we just assume that the scores would translate across competition levels like that? Already, internationally we see a good amount of inconsistency in scoring from event to event. I don't know how the USFS is but I thought this was one of the things Cop was supposed to make possible. Really, maybe they're just a bunch of numbers only relevant in competitions that have the same panel...oh well.