PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 US Senior Ladies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

HisWeirness
09-04-2010, 11:26 PM
^ I was hoping they would at least give her the EGL bye because she has 2 GPs (plus she IS a former US senior champ, not that it officially counts for byes)

If you can get 2 Senior GPs (and pass USFSA monitoring) then you probably don't need to do regionals...

stjeaskategym
09-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Here's my (unofficial) list of 10 U.S. Senior ladies who currently have a bye through Sectionals in November to 2011 Nationals:
Flatt, Nagasu, Wagner, Cohen (if she plans to compete), Gao - they were top 5 at 2010 Nationals; Dobbs & Musademba (Cup of China); C. Zhang & Gilles (Skate America); and Zawadzki (Cup of Russia).

Neither of Czisny's GP events gives her a bye though her Regional or Sectional -- it's a 7-day window for non-Asian competitions

So Dobbs, Musademba, Zhang, and Gilles are already qualified to Nationals due to the luck of their Grand Prix dates/locations, while Czisny is not qualified to Nationals due to the unluckiness of her Grand Prix dates/locations. I'm not sure if it makes sense to have some skaters doing Sectionals and some not doing Sectionals simply because of the luck of assignments. To me, if you're good enough to receive two Grand Prixes, you should be allowed to compete at your own Nationals without worrying about Sectionals.

danafan
09-05-2010, 12:26 AM
To me, if you're good enough to receive two Grand Prixes, you should be allowed to compete at your own Nationals without worrying about Sectionals.

I was just going to post something like this. I wish the US Figure Skating would follow what happens in Canada, where any skater with a senior grand prix assignment is qualified directly to the Canadian Championships.

Polymer Bob
09-05-2010, 01:33 AM
To me, if you're good enough to receive two Grand Prixes, you should be allowed to compete at your own Nationals without worrying about Sectionals.

I believe there is an unwritten, unspoken, unmentioned, unofficial rule to this effect. But we will see if that is the case. :)

pinky166
09-05-2010, 02:25 AM
I believe there is an unwritten, unspoken, unmentioned, unofficial rule to this effect. But we will see if that is the case. :)

I guess this makes sense, but at the same time, for skaters like Czisny and Zhang who were both more than capable of finishing top 5 at nationals last season, but finished 10th and 11th, having them do sectionals would sort of be an appropriate wake up call - ie, become more consistent, because if you bomb at sectionals you might not even make it to nationals.

Sylvia
09-05-2010, 02:39 AM

I believe there is an unwritten, unspoken, unmentioned, unofficial rule to this effect.
Yes, this was the case last season, for example, for all the U.S. skaters with 2 Senior GP assignments (they didn't have to compete at either Regionals or Sectionals if they didn't already have a bye through one or both), but it's not the case this season from what I know at this time.

ETA: Forgot to mention that, for the past several seasons, the JGP singles skaters receiving a 2nd JGP assignment have been getting a bye through their respective Regionals (in Senior or Junior) no matter what the dates of their JGP or Regional, and I believe this will remain in effect for this season as well.

Polymer Bob
09-05-2010, 02:49 AM
I guess this makes sense, but at the same time, for skaters like Czisny and Zhang who were both more than capable of finishing top 5 at nationals last season, but finished 10th and 11th, having them do sectionals would sort of be an appropriate wake up call - ie, become more consistent, because if you bomb at sectionals you might not even make it to nationals.

Maybe. But Caroline suffered - ( if my count is correct ) - three injuries last summer and fall. And she lost considerable training time. Her back sprain must have still been bothering her at 4CC because she didn't do her pearl spin. On top of that, we're going to force her to do Sectionals?

I'm not sure what happened to Alissa.

Nomad
09-05-2010, 03:15 AM
I don't think anything "happened" to Alissa. She made a boatload of errors, just like she's done at 7 out of 9 Nationals.

stjeaskategym
09-05-2010, 05:07 AM

I definitely understand the reasons for having anyone outside the top 5 from last year's Nationals compete at Sectionals... But if Zhang will be allowed to skip Sectionals because of her GPs, then so should Czisny. It's out of the skaters' control which GPs they get, and the luck of which GPs they end up receiving shouldn't matter in terms of getting byes through to Nationals. Either give the byes to everyone with 2 Sr GPs, or don't give byes to anyone (which of course isn't possible).

Yes, this was the case last season, for example, for all the U.S. skaters with 2 Senior GP assignments (they didn't have to compete at either Regionals or Sectionals if they didn't already have a bye through one or both), but it's not the case this season from what I know at this time.

I hope they end up just doing what they did last season. It would be rather silly if Czisny ends up being the only one not directly qualified to Nationals just because she wasn't lucky enough to get assigned to, say, Cup of Russia instead of TEB.

pinky166
09-05-2010, 05:29 AM
I don't think anything "happened" to Alissa. She made a boatload of errors, just like she's done at 7 out of 9 Nationals.

All the more reason to make her go through sectionals. If she skates up to her potential, she'll win by a landslide and easily qualify for nationals. Plus I thought Alissa liked competing a lot because it gives her more opportunities to deal with her nerves. So really, a relatively low pressure competition like sectionals could be good for her confidence and give her a chance to shake off her nerves before nationals.

Jenna
09-05-2010, 05:33 AM
^ I agree that giving Alissa a little bit of a "wakeup call" may be good for her. If she has to compete at Sectionals, perhaps she will realize that she is wayyyyy too talented to not be byed to Greensboro and fight harder when she gets there. Confidence building is key for her.

RD
09-05-2010, 05:51 AM
Who knows, maybe she feels she could use the extra experience. Still, if the other skaters that have 2 GPs get to skip qualifying, I think to be fair the same opportunity should be extended to Alyssa.

Polymer Bob
09-05-2010, 01:15 PM
I tend to suspect, in my heart of hearts and gut of guts, that Alissa will get a bye to Nationals. I just can't conceive of a skater with 2 GP events having to go through Sectionals. In theory, she could podium at the Grand Prix Final and fail to make Nationals. :wideeyes:

In that case, she would get Team A Tier 2 envelope funding. :D

RFOS
09-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I tend to suspect, in my heart of hearts and gut of guts, that Alissa will get a bye to Nationals. I just can't conceive of a skater with 2 GP events having to go through Sectionals. In theory, she could podium at the Grand Prix Final and fail to make Nationals. :wideeyes:

In that case, she would get Team A Tier 2 envelope funding. :D

If she qualified to the Grand Prix final then she would get a bye to Nationals.

ETA: Well, I didn't check the dates of her GP events first. ;)

her grace
09-05-2010, 02:07 PM
I wonder if the reason that byes aren't automatically given to each skater with 2 GPs is to reduce the number of total skaters at nationals. The more skaters, the more expensive the event.