PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 US Senior Ladies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

B.Cooper
08-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Zawadzki has the whole package, hugh effortless jumper, flexible, spins well, and her skating skills are very good. The people who say Agnes's skating skills are not good enough are really reaching, because they know they can't knock her on jumps and spins.

She is also very consistent, she will be hard to beat.

I also really like how Nagasu carries the ice she has all the qualities you look for in a skater as well. It will be between her and Agnes this year for the USA.

I also noticed some people on this board only like a certain type of skater!:wideeyes:

Not putting my money on Zawadzki yet. Not consistent...yet. IIRC, she was 8th after SP at junior worlds and second in FS and 2nd overall. Pulled up ISU protocol sheets... Only a couple -GOEs in SP, e on 3F (and a fall?); in LP, e on 3F again...only element with -GOE. So...lots of potential. Programs loaded with potential for tech element score....but PCS has a way to go still.
Will be interesting to see what she looks like on the SGP this fall.

Zhang: I think Tammy and a new approach may help her. It just may take some time.

Nagasu...gets her cast off this week? Lots of work to do and hopefully the foot has recovered. Long time to be off the ice.

Has a similar thread been started on the US men?????

pinky166
08-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Chipso1 you are right on, when you see her in person you can appreiciate her even more. Agnes is so powerful she does not have to get as deep in the knees to obtain speed. I do think she should work on stroking a little more and I imagine she will. We have to remember she just turned 16 not long ago. ;)

I'm concerned about Agnes's height. She's 5'6" already and may still be growing, and maybe it's just a coincidence, but it seems like the ladies skaters who are tall have consistency issues on their jumps.

pinky166
08-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Ksenia Makarova was 5th at the SP in Worlds 2010, and less than 10 points below bronze overall. I'm with bek, she is definitely at least a bronze medal contendor this year, I don't care how many times she beat or lost to pinky, er, Christina Gao last year. ;)

It's not just that she lost go Gao, she also lost to Murakami, Shelepen, Musademba, and Nishino on the JGP just last season. Ksenia is good and all but I don't think any of the skaters I listed who defeated her on the JGP just last season could realistically medal at Worlds this year, with the exception of maybe Murakami or Gao, but some strange things would probably have to go down at Worlds to have that happen. Granted, Ksenia appeared to make great progress at the end of last season, but if she was capable of being that good all along, then her scores from earlier last season suggest she is inconsistent. She scored 76 points for her FS at JGP Minsk last fall, and even if it was a meltdown, have you ever seen the likes of Kim, Asada, Ando, Lepisto, Suzuki, etc score 76 points for a FS even if they had a total meltdown? I haven't. Maybe the international judges will give Ksenia higher PCS this season and if they are really high then maybe she has an outside shot at bronze at Worlds, but unless that happens, I see her as pretty comparable to Ashley Wagner, who couldn't medal at the GPF even though 4 out of 6 competitors bombed.

chipso1
08-31-2010, 01:12 AM
Here's a video of Kiri's exhibition in the FSC of Bloomington ice show in May. Before her injury, I believe, but beautiful nonetheless. :) She just exudes charisma and star quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQGXvdhjbVU

ETA: And, Kiri skating a number her sister (Courtney) choreographed for the Grassroots 2 Champions Young Artists Series (this was skated in July?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zak8GoJd5Q

bek
08-31-2010, 04:11 AM
It's not just that she lost go Gao, she also lost to Murakami, Shelepen, Musademba, and Nishino on the JGP just last season. Ksenia is good and all but I don't think any of the skaters I listed who defeated her on the JGP just last season could realistically medal at Worlds this year, with the exception of maybe Murakami or Gao, but some strange things would probably have to go down at Worlds to have that happen. Granted, Ksenia appeared to make great progress at the end of last season, but if she was capable of being that good all along, then her scores from earlier last season suggest she is inconsistent. She scored 76 points for her FS at JGP Minsk last fall, and even if it was a meltdown, have you ever seen the likes of Kim, Asada, Ando, Lepisto, Suzuki, etc score 76 points for a FS even if they had a total meltdown? I haven't. Maybe the international judges will give Ksenia higher PCS this season and if they are really high then maybe she has an outside shot at bronze at Worlds, but unless that happens, I see her as pretty comparable to Ashley Wagner, who couldn't medal at the GPF even though 4 out of 6 competitors bombed.

Not every skater progresses the way Kim/Asada/Ando did. Those girls were child prodigies. Some people's careers go a little bit slower. Ksensia has improved tremendously since then and she know has a real 3lutz, real 3flip and all of the triples.

pinky166
08-31-2010, 04:19 AM
Here's a video of Kiri's exhibition in the FSC of Bloomington ice show in May. Before her injury, I believe, but beautiful nonetheless. :) She just exudes charisma and star quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQGXvdhjbVU

ETA: And, Kiri skating a number her sister (Courtney) choreographed for the Grassroots 2 Champions Young Artists Series (this was skated in July?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zak8GoJd5Q

She's so cute. If Rockne and Mary Beth doesn't work out Kiri should consider doing pairs and singles, she's tiny and so charismatic I think she could be good with Rockne.

pinky166
09-01-2010, 04:18 AM
Not every skater progresses the way Kim/Asada/Ando did. Those girls were child prodigies. Some people's careers go a little bit slower. Ksensia has improved tremendously since then and she know has a real 3lutz, real 3flip and all of the triples.

I've actually thought about it and Ksenia medaling at Worlds this year could be quite plausible because if you consider that Joannie most likely won't compete, if Yuna does compete it will be her first competition of the season after winning Olympic gold, breaking off with Orser, finding a new coach, and dealing with all that, Mao where she's going through all the changes in her technique may be having a transitional season, Lepisto will probably double some of her jumps, Mirai may still not be back to 100% by then. So who does that leave to medal? Likely Miki, maybe Carolina but who knows, Kanako but that seems like a long shot. So that leaves the door open for someone like Ksenia or a US lady ( YES I DO MEAN CHRISTINA GAO :D....among others) to potentially medal. I hadn't taken into the whole Joannie/Yuna/Mao situation into consideration before, but now that I am, things seem much more open.

LilJen
09-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Anyone know if Kimmie Meissner filed papers to compete at her regionals?

gkelly
09-02-2010, 02:41 PM

*The filing is all done online now, no actual papers any more.

*The deadline was 11:59 last night.

At this point, I assume the only people who know are Kimmie and those who know her. Now that the deadline has passed, the processing will begin today. It's not yet business hours in Colorado Springs.

Stephanie
09-02-2010, 03:29 PM
I would think that if Kimmie didn't register for regionals she would be removed from the international selection pool list on the USFS website.

Do skaters with byes (I'm thinking about Inoue/Baldwin and Sasha Cohen here) still have to register for the competitive season by yesterday's deadline?

Sylvia
09-02-2010, 03:36 PM
I would think that if Kimmie didn't register for regionals she would be removed from the international selection pool list on the USFS website.
That's what I would expect USFS to do as well.

Do skaters with byes (I'm thinking about Inoue/Baldwin and Sasha Cohen here) still have to register for the competitive season by yesterday's deadline?
Yes.

Stephanie
09-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Thank you for the answers, Sylvia! :)

Polymer Bob
09-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Could Kimmie still be granted a last minute Grand Prix assignment? I think there is still a TBA spot at Skate America.

Nomad
09-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Could Kimmie still be granted a last minute Grand Prix assignment? I think there is still a TBA spot at Skate America.

It's been filled by Alexe Gilles.

RD
09-02-2010, 07:15 PM

I suppose we'll find out soon enough...