PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 US Senior Ladies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Marco
08-27-2010, 03:30 AM
It was in a different spin. Since there was no restriction on how many times the "both directions" feature could be used during a program, she should have gotten credit for it in both spins if she had enough revolutions in both of them.

:huh: My recollection (which can be wrong obviously) is that she did it on the same spin. I remember being very impressed. I need to watch it again. :cool:

pinky166
08-27-2010, 03:58 AM
Senior.

She's got a ways to go then to be up with Gao, Cesario, and Gong, but she can maybe get there by January once her injury is all better.

As for Mirai, GPs aren't all that important, it's not a huge deal if she doesn't do great at them and doesn't qualify for the final, Worlds is a more important competition for her, and she has plenty of time to be ready for that (or for nationals, when the team is selected).

RD
08-27-2010, 04:04 AM
As for Mirai, GPs aren't all that important, it's not a huge deal if she doesn't do great at them and doesn't qualify for the final, Worlds is a more important competition for her, and she has plenty of time to be ready for that (or for nationals, when the team is selected).

She has too much national competition to be a definite shoo-in for the World Team...

chipso1
08-27-2010, 05:23 AM
She's got a ways to go then to be up with Gao, Cesario, and Gong, but she can maybe get there by January once her injury is all better.

I think it's important to remember that Kiri has only been back to skating for about 6 weeks. I'm impressed that she landed a clean 3L in her short program and was able to stay vertical during her free skate.

Gao, Cesario and Gong have been training full-out all summer, so it's a bit unfair to compare Kiri to them right now. I'm sure she'll continue to improve in the next few weeks. :)

pinky166
08-27-2010, 03:16 PM
She has too much national competition to be a definite shoo-in for the World Team...

I know she has a lot of competition, I'm not denying that. I am saying it won't be crucial for her to be in great form until January, when World Team spots are on the line and there will be a lot of competition to earn one of those spots. It would be great if she could make the GPF but it's not like her chances of making the World Team will be bashed if she doesn't make the GPF, as I don't expect most of the ladies on the GP to make the GPF, and further, some of the top contenders for Worlds won't even be competing on the GP circuit but the JGP circuit.

Eris
08-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Stress fracture ices Nagasu's summer training plans
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100827&content_id=13984202&vkey=ice_news

Sylvia
08-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Stress fracture ices Nagasu's summer training plans
Thanks! :) I also posted that article link in the Champs Camp thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74787&page=2

It looks like Felicia Zhang is moving up to Senior - she is scheduled to test Senior FS this Friday. Good for her! Looking forward to seeing her at Easterns and (hopefully) Nats.
Felicia Zhang tweeted earlier today that she has passed her USFS Senior FS test and is officially a Senior lady! :cool:

Nomad
08-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Congratulations to Felicia! :cheer:

Polymer Bob
08-27-2010, 09:54 PM
I don't expect most of the ladies on the GP to make the GPF, and further, some of the top contenders for Worlds won't even be competing on the GP circuit but the JGP circuit.

At this point in the season, I will be conservative and consider the top contenders for the U.S. World team to be the 5 internationally ranked skaters. Then, other girls will have a chance to knock them off if they can. Not surprisingly, the same 5 girls are ranked on the IceNetwork list as the ISU list. Though the order is different.

They are:

Skater ……………… ISU Rank ……… Ice Network Rank

Rachael ……………… ( 9 )……………………… ( 9 )
Caroline ……………. ( 10 ) ………………….. ( 18 )
Alissa …….…….…… ( 14 ) …….…..………. ( 14 )
Mirai ………....……… ( 15 ) …………………. ( 12 )
Ashley ………….…… ( 17 ) …………………. ( 13 )

pinky166
08-27-2010, 10:41 PM
At this point in the season, I will be conservative and consider the top contenders for the U.S. World team to be the 5 internationally ranked skaters. Then, other girls will have a chance to knock them off if they can. Not surprisingly, the same 5 girls are ranked on the IceNetwork list as the ISU list. Though the order is different.

They are:

Skater ……………… ISU Rank ……… Ice Network Rank

Rachael ……………… ( 9 )……………………… ( 9 )
Caroline ……………. ( 10 ) ………………….. ( 18 )
Alissa …….…….…… ( 14 ) …….…..………. ( 14 )
Mirai ………....……… ( 15 ) …………………. ( 12 )
Ashley ………….…… ( 17 ) …………………. ( 13 )

Caroline and Alissa are questionable as top contenders at this point, based on how they did last season. Gao has been skating really well all summer and Siraj just put up a junior FS score comparable the those Alissa and Caroline commonly get at senior competitions, and this was at the 1st JGP of the season and her 1st JGP competition ever. Then there is Agnes, and potentially Cesario and Gong and maybe Baga to think about.

RD
08-28-2010, 04:52 AM
I say it's way too soon to tell. I wouldn't be ready to count Zhang out just yet, actually (damn, I sound like PB now ;) )- I think the field is, for the 4th straight year, wide open. Any of the five girls mentioned above have a decent shot at the world team if they can bring it. I still think Czisny got real lucky last year and can't see her winning another national title. If anyone's gonna be a repeat winner I'd call Nagasu

NMURA
08-28-2010, 06:09 AM
As shown in the results of Olys and WC, the international judges refused to accept Flatt as the No.1 American lady. Despite some setbacks, Nagasu has won the position in everyone's eyes. She will be given the national title barring major meltdowns.

Zawadzki and Gao are needed to maintain the spots of JGP and Jr Worlds. They will never place top 2 at US nationals even if their performances are better than Nagasu and Flatt in everyone's eyes.

chipso1
08-28-2010, 06:15 AM
Zawadzki and Gao are needed to maintain the spots of JGP and Jr Worlds. They will never place top 2 at US nationals even if their performances are better than Nagasu and Flatt in everyone's eyes.

I wouldn't say Zawadzki and Gao "will never place top 2 at US nationals," especially if they skate better than Flatt and Nagasu. Both have gorgeous jumps, and could very well sneak in for medals if the top ladies have off-performances. It will be very competitive this year, with Wagner, Zhang, Dobbs, Musademba and perhaps even Siraj all contending.

Squibble
08-28-2010, 06:58 AM
I'm asian, so maybe I'm biased

Gee, do you think so?

I think some combination of Asian womens' work ethic, upbringing, and ability to maintain a slim physique into their adulthood makes them less likely to crash and burn in a sport like figure skating.

And you can't deny that most (not all) of the top female skaters at the international level are Asian.

Would you care to back up your statements with facts, or do you subjectively decide who is a top skater based on your own predilections?

How about looking at Personal Best Scores under CoP (http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/pbslto.htm)?

The ten highest Personal Bests belong, in order, to: Kim, Asada, Rochette, Slutskaya, Cohen, Ando, Arakawa, Nagasu, Meissner, Lepistφ. That's five skaters of Asian ancestry and five of European ancestry.

The next ten highest belong, in order, to: Kostner, Flatt, Suguri, Suzuki, Kirk, Sokolova, Phaneuf, Nakano, Zhang, and Kwan. Again, five and five.

If we go back ten years earlier, to the period from 1993 to 2000, the following women finished in the top five at the Olympics or Worlds at least once: Baiul, Bobek, Bonaly, Butyrskaya, Chen, Chouinard, Gusmeroli, Hubert, Hughes, Kerrigan, Kielmann, Kwan, Lipinski, Malinina, Markova, Rechnio, Sato, Szewczenko, and Soldatova. That's three skaters of Asian ancestry, fifteen of European ancestry, and one of African ancestry or nineteen of African ancestry, depending on how you look at it. ;)

The main difference between the two periods is that Russia and France had a lot of talented top-level skaters then and that Japan has a lot now. That sort of cyclical variation is common in many sports and generally reflects trends in different countries' popular culture, economic conditions, and the like, not one racial group's work ethic, upbringing, or ability to maintain a particular physique.

haribobo
08-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Flatt's skating was very weak at Glacier Falls, and I don't mean jumps. It wouldn't be surprising for Zawadzki, Czisny, Wagner, and/or Zhang to outskate her on the GP and at Nationals. Flatt *could* turn things around, but by no means is she guaranteed top 2 at Nationals. If you take away jumps, I'm not sure Flatt would rank top 10 among current US senior ladies skaters. Add jumps back in, and there's still a number of ladies capable of keeping up with her...

We have Gong, Cesario, Vanessa Lam, Siraj, Musademba, Dobbs, Gilles, Bulanhagui, Baga, F. Zhang......

And that's not to mention our good juniors like Cain, Dinh, Marley, Keiser, Kulgeyko, Wang, Daniels, Jiang, Gold, Hicks, Edmunds, etc.

Nagasu is on the rebound from an injury so it's hard to say with her. At this point I think Wagner/Gao/Zawadzki are just as capable/likely of top 2 at Nationals as Nagasu/Flatt. In theory at least, there are so many others in the equation also.