PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 US Senior Ladies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Marco
08-26-2010, 05:19 PM
But she can do camel spins in both directions and get other features on the "wrong direction" spin. How many other skaters can claim that?

Off the top of my head - Kwan and Buttle, and before COP too. :cool:

gkelly
08-26-2010, 06:25 PM
But can they do a difficult position or an edge change, or, say, 8 revolutions, in the clockwise spin?

Buttle yes

Klimkin maybe (I found one example that seemed to be trying for an outside edge, might or might not have counted in IJS)

Kwan ?? not that I'm aware of

Marco
08-26-2010, 07:57 PM
But can they do a difficult position or an edge change, or, say, 8 revolutions, in the clockwise spin?

Buttle yes

Klimkin maybe (I found one example that seemed to be trying for an outside edge, might or might not have counted in IJS)

Kwan ?? not that I'm aware of

In her Arienne debut at the World Pro, Kwan did the reverse camel with a catch foot.

And also Fontana. At Turin Olympics she was doing both the camel and sit in her reverse direction IIRC. (NOt that it adds further under IJS, but it's got to be difficult - and the only other person I remember doing it was John CUrry)

gkelly
08-26-2010, 08:20 PM
In her Arienne debut at the World Pro, Kwan did the reverse camel with a catch foot.

So she did. Thanks.

And also Fontana. At Turin Olympics she was doing both the camel and sit in her reverse direction IIRC. (NOt that it adds further under IJS,

Actually it does -- reversing direction within a spin (camel or sit only as of this year) is a feature in and of itself. Of course they need to be held for 3 revolutions, which Fontana didn't do but I don't remember what the rules about that were in 2006. And two features are needed for level 2, although they can be achieved in the regular direction, as Fontana did.

Anyway the point is that Flatt has exhibited some advanced spinning skills that few other skaters have used. So even if she isn't the fastest spinner in the world and doesn't have the flexibility of some of her competitors, she does have other ways to get some extra points out of her spins.

pinky166
08-26-2010, 08:28 PM
BTW, I know she's not a senior lady yet, but Nina Jiang apparently had a pretty good showing in her JGP debut SP, landing a 3t-3t, 3lo, 2a. Wheee!

Sylvia
08-26-2010, 08:33 PM
And Nina Jiang's fellow teammate at the Courchevel JGP, Yasmin Siraj, is in 6th after the SP (to Jiang's 3rd), reportedly falling on 3Lz (no combo) and doubling her planned 3Lo. (See the JGP Courchevel thread in the Kiss and Cry forum for more info.)

Phil Hersh tweeted earlier today: https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/22197052025

Just learned skater Mirai Nagasu, 4th in Oly, has been off ice about 6 weeks with stress frac in foot. Supposed to be back by Sept. 1
ETA: Nagasu IS at Champs Camp (I will go post in the Champs Camp thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2855804#post2855804 )

Marco
08-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Actually it does -- reversing direction within a spin (camel or sit only as of this year) is a feature in and of itself. Of course they need to be held for 3 revolutions, which Fontana didn't do but I don't remember what the rules about that were in 2006. And two features are needed for level 2, although they can be achieved in the regular direction, as Fontana did.

Anyway the point is that Flatt has exhibited some advanced spinning skills that few other skaters have used. So even if she isn't the fastest spinner in the world and doesn't have the flexibility of some of her competitors, she does have other ways to get some extra points out of her spins.

I phrased it poorly. What I meant was, she would have gotten the feature anyway with just the reverse camel as part of her combo spin, doing the reverse sit as well didn't add another feature although it must have been extremely difficult.

re: Flatt - she got the COP points which I am sure is all she cared about. I don't think it contradicted my opinion that she was a mediocre spinner. For example Bonaly was also known for doing relatively difficult spins during her competitive times.

gkelly
08-26-2010, 08:46 PM
I phrased it poorly. What I meant was, she would have gotten the feature anyway with just the reverse camel as part of her combo spin, doing the reverse sit as well didn't add another feature although it must have been extremely difficult.

It was in a different spin. Since there was no restriction on how many times the "both directions" feature could be used during a program, she should have gotten credit for it in both spins if she had enough revolutions in both of them.

pinky166
08-26-2010, 08:54 PM
And Nina Jiang's fellow teammate at the Courchevel JGP, Yasmin Siraj, is in 6th after the SP (to Jiang's 3rd), reportedly falling on 3Lz (no combo) and doubling her planned 3Lo. (See the JGP Courchevel thread in the Kiss and Cry forum for more info.)

Phil Hersh tweeted earlier today: https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/22197052025

Yasmin had the highest PCS of all the ladies at the competition :). Good look to both girls in the FS!

And poor Mirai, I had no idea the injury was that serious. Given it's a stress fracture does that maybe is she growing again? Hope she makes a speedy recovery!

chipso1
08-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Coming off a stress fracture of her own, Kiri Baga scored 116.73 for her programs at the MN State Championships last weekend. Pretty respectable for her season debut, and for just getting over an injury. :)

pinky166
08-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Coming off a stress fracture of her own, Kiri Baga scored 116.73 for her programs at the MN State Championships last weekend. Pretty respectable for her season debut, and for just getting over an injury. :)

Did she compete her junior or senior programs there?

chipso1
08-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Did she compete her junior or senior programs there?

Senior.

Mayra
08-26-2010, 09:52 PM

Lurrrvvee Kiri! Here's hoping she continues to improve as the season goes on. :cheer2:

Polymer Bob
08-26-2010, 09:53 PM
If Mirai is back on the ice September 1st, she will have about 2 months to get back in shape. That's not much time.

RD
08-26-2010, 10:05 PM
If Mirai is back on the ice September 1st, she will have about 2 months to get back in shape. That's not much time.

she can always WD. She really has about 4 months (until Nats in January) until she needs to be strong again. I dunno, I guess I'm gonna wait a bit before pressing the Panic button.