PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 US Senior Ladies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

DickButtonFan
08-25-2010, 08:02 PM
I really don't like Agnes short, wish she'd change it. Seems so generic. She sure can jump tho. Hate the music and choreography

Disappionted with flatts program as well. I thought since she took a year off of school she would bring out all the stops. Again hate the music. She really could have skated to something strong but picks this boring song.

GAO is best out of the new program I have seen but I'm not all crazy over it either.

Hope mirai brings it.

B.Cooper
08-25-2010, 08:11 PM
IIRC, Rachael had a serious back injury/problem several years ago (fall '06?) and was unable to compete on the JGP that year. I think I read that the problem was a bulging disk in her back, and I believe that it has not fully gone away - it's the reason she can't do a higher-level layback spin. She has recovered enough (and compensated for the problem) to be one of the most consistent jumpers in the U.S. right now (her Worlds performance notwithstanding).

iirc.... Flatt had to w/d from the JPG series in the autumn of 2006 due to a back injury where she incurred several bulging discs in her lower back. Following that injury, the killer layback that she had as a novice and junior pretty much disappeared. I would suspect the discs are still bulging. Only her MRI would know for sure, LOL! I guess bulging discs are no laughing matter. They rarely regress...usually require surgery at some point.:eek:

Mayra
08-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Siraj - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F518sUIn2M8

Does anyone know who choreographed this program? Lots of potential here. Apologies if it was already mentioned.

Sylvia
08-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Does anyone know who choreographed this program?
Yasmin Siraj's ISU and USFS bios state her choreographer is Jamie Isley. Siraj makes her JGP debut this week in Courchevel, France.

(Jenna, Flatt and Gong both competed earlier this month at Glacier Falls Summer Classic. Golden West is coming up on Labor Day weekend.)

Champs camp is this weekend, right?
Yes. Here's the Champs Camp thread in GSD (9 U.S. Senior ladies will be there): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74787

I can't wait for the season to start already!! Nebelhorn in 4 weeks!
The first JGP in Courchevel is this week. Ashley Wagner and Melissa Bulanhagui are the 2 U.S. ladies entries for Nebelhorn.

Nomad
08-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the links pinky166. I really hate Rachael's new LP. I wish they could scrap the whole thing and start over.

Mayra
08-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Yasmin Siraj's ISU and USFS bios state her choreographer is Jamie Isley. Siraj makes her JGP debut this week in Courchevel, France.

Thanks Sylvia. The program/choreography has interesting nuances to the music throughout the program. There's a lot of potential there. Good luck to Yasmin in Courchevel! :)

stjeaskategym
08-25-2010, 09:57 PM
iirc.... Flatt had to w/d from the JPG series in the autumn of 2006 due to a back injury where she incurred several bulging discs in her lower back. Following that injury, the killer layback that she had as a novice and junior pretty much disappeared. I would suspect the discs are still bulging. Only her MRI would know for sure, LOL! I guess bulging discs are no laughing matter. They rarely regress...usually require surgery at some point.:eek:

Flatt used to have a killer layback? For some reason, I never recall her being that flexible, but I'm really not sure.

Thanks to pinky for posting all of those videos!

pinky166
08-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Gao clearly had the best summer skate, but she is competing earlier. Watching that video a second time, however, really made me realize how much she has improved, not only with the jumping, but as an overall skater. Gong and Cesario also look much improved. It wasn't Flatt's day at Golden West. I was probably too harsh on her at first. The program is still developing...I will be more critical at her first GP.

You mean Glacier Falls, Golden West is not until next week. I tend to think Flatt's program will get better as the season goes on, she's always seemed to be able to peak at the right time. Normally she's a bit blah at her first GP and then gets steadily better as the season goes on.

I think Gao's overall skating has improved a lot too, although I feel this is much more apparent in her LP than in her SP, where she still seemed a bit gangly and awkward. She was graceful in the LP though so that's good to see.

Gong and Cesario I felt always had a lot of potential, and now that they have both improved their jumps so much, it's really apparent just how talented they both are.

UGG
08-26-2010, 01:54 AM
A list of all the females who were hyped at a young age and then dissappointed:

Kimmie
Emily
Katy
Alissa
Caroline

A list of all the females who were hyped at a young age and then continued to do well in later years despite setbacks:

Michelle
Yuna
Mao
Miki
Mirai

Apart from Caroline Zhang, who's issues were apparent from the start given her awful technique, what's the difference between list 1 and list 2? I'm asian, so maybe I'm biased, but I think some combination of Asian womens' work ethic, upbringing, and ability to maintain a slim physique into their adulthood makes them less likely to crash and burn in a sport like figure skating. American culture is kind of toxic, and as for Asian girls living in America, if they have parents who are immigrants they are most likely sheltered from the American culture at least somewhat. Having lived in China for several years I can tell you the atmosphere, diet, and behavior of the people living there is very different from that in the US, where there is so much pressure on teens to drink and party and date, where junk food is so widely available and the majority of the population is overweight. Christina is Chinese and her parents are immigrants, therefore I think she will be okay.

I don't really get this list. Emily and Katy were NEVER hyped the way Mao Yuna or Michelle were. (or even Caroline and Mirai). I think they were alywas seen as 2nd tier skaters who made the best out of their talent...especially Emily. The only people who were hyping her up where her home town newspapers.

Kimmie was hyped as a Jr and although she did not have a long career, I would say she exceeded expectations, becoming a national and world champion and an Olympian.

What setbacks for Michelle are you talking about??

At this point in her career, Mirai is not as successful as Kimmie.

Marco
08-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Flatt used to have a killer layback? For some reason, I never recall her being that flexible, but I'm really not sure.

Would love to see a video of that. Regardless of positions, her spins have in general been very mediocre since 2007.

Nomad
08-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Would love to see a video of that. Regardless of positions, her spins have in general been very mediocre since 2007.

RF 2005 Nats Ex (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xzvEfa_MKc)

Marco
08-26-2010, 03:48 PM
RF 2005 Nats Ex (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xzvEfa_MKc)

So she could do a proper layback! :hat1:

Jenna
08-26-2010, 03:54 PM
That layback was gorgeous...what a shame that injury has ruined her position in that spin. :(

gkelly
08-26-2010, 03:56 PM
But she can do camel spins in both directions and get other features on the "wrong direction" spin. How many other skaters can claim that?

Everyone makes the most of their own abilities.

pinky166
08-26-2010, 04:12 PM
But she can do camel spins in both directions and get other features on the "wrong direction" spin. How many other skaters can claim that?

Everyone makes the most of their own abilities.

Rachael also has a very nice donut spin that she never does....I don't know why either, it's so much prettier than the catchfoot camel she usually does.