PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 US Senior Ladies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Eris
08-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Mirai Nagasu at April 2010 Figure Skating in Harlem benefit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg135DgpP-8&feature=player_embedded

Polymer Bob
08-17-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm not sure why we didn't catch this earlier, but on Mirai's Twitter from August 12th, she writes she is in pain from having her wisdom teeth taken out. That may be the injury we've all been hearing about.

http://twitter.com/mirai_nagasu

I find it interesting Mirai and Caroline don't follow each other.

Jenna
08-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Well, not to be rude, but to me it doesn't come as a surprise. :lol: In fact, Caroline doesn't follow any other skaters, besides Ellie Kawamura.

I hope Mirai recovers quickly from her surgery. I remember having to go through that process, and it certainly isn't any fun.

pinky166
08-18-2010, 02:15 AM
I'm not sure why we didn't catch this earlier, but on Mirai's Twitter from August 12th, she writes she is in pain from having her wisdom teeth taken out. That may be the injury we've all been hearing about.

http://twitter.com/mirai_nagasu

I find it interesting Mirai and Caroline don't follow each other.

Having wisdom teeth taken out isn't an injury....It makes sense she got them out now though where she is/was injured and probably couldn't be training at full intensity anyways. I assume her injury has/had something to do with her leg or ankle, it was announced she was injured way back in mid-july, wisdom teeth are a pain but only usually require a week off from rigorous exercise.

Coco
08-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Believe it or not, I once "sprained a tooth," and it had everything to do with my impacted wisdom teeth causing too much pressure.

It was EXCRUCIATING, way more painful before surgery than after.

So wisdom teeth can be taken out as a result of an injury. The things you learn on this board!

Debbie S
08-24-2010, 04:05 PM
It looks like Felicia Zhang is moving up to Senior - she is scheduled to test Senior FS this Friday. Good for her! Looking forward to seeing her at Easterns and (hopefully) Nats.

Jenna
08-24-2010, 08:19 PM
:cheer: She has a beauty of a lutz. If she can skate like she did at Liberty, she could very well be in the top 10 at Nationals..

pinky166
08-24-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm wondering with Yuna now leaving Orser if Christina will become his top priority, at least top female priority. If so, maybe Christina will improve at an even faster pace and may just make the World Team this season.

Sylvia
08-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Speaking of Gao, this was published after she won her Junior group at the Thornhill competition (her JGP tuneup).

Pj Kwong: Catching up with Christina Gao (http://apps.pjkwong.com/blog/?e=52857&d=08/15/2010&s=Catching%20up%20with%2E%2E%2E%2EChristina%20Gao) (August 15, 2010)

RD
08-24-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm wondering with Yuna now leaving Orser if Christina will become his top priority, at least top female priority. If so, maybe Christina will improve at an even faster pace and may just make the World Team this season.

I was just waiting for you to make that statement. ;)

Nomad
08-25-2010, 12:12 AM
^ Well, somebody had to. After all, the US senior ladies really suck and a girl just out of juniors with no senior internatl. experience would get much better results at Worlds.

RD
08-25-2010, 12:35 AM
I've seen them hyped and I've seen them go. Pardon me if I seem a bit skeptical here, but I'm really not convinced yet. If Gao can make the World team and place top 4 (and/or get the US back 3 spots), THEN I'll pay attention...

pinky166
08-25-2010, 12:38 AM
I was just waiting for you to make that statement. ;)

Oh boo hoo. It may be true though, and hey, I like what I've been seeing this season from Christina. I'm not expecting Czisny or Zhang to do much this season, Flatt is good but zzz, Ashley can be good but is prone to mistakes and hasn't done a 3-3 in a longgg time. That leaves Nagasu and Gao, which is who I think will be on the World team this year (If you haven't already noticed, slight, long-legged asian girls have been dominating figure skating for a while now). Who cares that Christina hasn't had senior international experience, that didn't hurt Yuna in 2007 or Mao in 2006, plus international judges give Flatt and Wagner pretty low PCS anyways. I mean, Kimmie Meissner was World Champion at 16, so I don't see why everyone thinks it's so crazy that Christina could go to her first Worlds at 17. I mean, what other US lady right now can consistently land 6 rotated triples in a LP? Not many. Gao can.

RD
08-25-2010, 12:52 AM
I'm not expecting Czisny or Zhang to do much this season, Flatt is good but zzz, Ashley can be good but is prone to mistakes and hasn't done a 3-3 in a longgg time. That leaves Nagasu and Gao

Actually, I can agree with you here. But remember that Nagasu is also prone to nerves and injuries as well. It's anyone's ballgame- they're on an equal playground for the most part; it all depends on who is hot that night and who is not.

Who cares that Christina hasn't had senior international experience, that didn't hurt Yuna in 2007 or Mao in 2006, plus international judges give Flatt and Wagner pretty low PCS anyways. I mean, Kimmie Meissner was World Champion at 16, so I don't see why everyone thinks it's so crazy that Christina could go to her first Worlds at 17. I mean, what other US lady right now can consistently land 6 rotated triples in a LP? Not many. Gao can.

We shall see...IMHO, the only skaters in the past decade that have lived up to the hype are Mao Asada and Yuna Kim. Everyone else has fallen short of expectations to a certain extent. There is reason why I'm so hesitant to jump on board the Gao bandwagon, but if I see results, I suppose I wouldn't be opposed to a quick ride. ;)

pinky166
08-25-2010, 12:55 AM
I've seen them hyped and I've seen them go. Pardon me if I seem a bit skeptical here, but I'm really not convinced yet. If Gao can make the World team and place top 4 (and/or get the US back 3 spots), THEN I'll pay attention...

A list of all the females who were hyped at a young age and then dissappointed:

Kimmie
Emily
Katy
Alissa
Caroline

A list of all the females who were hyped at a young age and then continued to do well in later years despite setbacks:

Michelle
Yuna
Mao
Miki
Mirai

Apart from Caroline Zhang, who's issues were apparent from the start given her awful technique, what's the difference between list 1 and list 2? I'm asian, so maybe I'm biased, but I think some combination of Asian womens' work ethic, upbringing, and ability to maintain a slim physique into their adulthood makes them less likely to crash and burn in a sport like figure skating. American culture is kind of toxic, and as for Asian girls living in America, if they have parents who are immigrants they are most likely sheltered from the American culture at least somewhat. Having lived in China for several years I can tell you the atmosphere, diet, and behavior of the people living there is very different from that in the US, where there is so much pressure on teens to drink and party and date, where junk food is so widely available and the majority of the population is overweight. Christina is Chinese and her parents are immigrants, therefore I think she will be okay.