PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 US Senior Ladies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Sylvia
08-09-2010, 09:00 PM
From what I've heard, Musademba had a late start to her training this season (not sure exactly when she relocated to California but it may not have been until late June or so?). Dobbs and Bereswill each have competed the SP portion of a singles competition so far this summer but are having to balance their singles with their pairs training. I believe any of them could still be assigned to a Senior B without first competing in the summer, but then they would have to show "competition readiness" by competing a full competition a set period of weeks beforehand.

Stephanie
08-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks, Sylvia! Maybe we'll see Dobbs and/or Musademba at Golden West.

pinky166
08-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Anna's jumping technique is horrific. And part of being a good jumper is having a competitive jump arsenal, something that Kiri doesn't have yet.

I think horrific is too strong a word. It's gotten better, I mean she got +GOE for all her jumps in her SP at Jr. Worlds. And as for her being like Czisny, Czisny's big problem isn't her jumps so much as her nerves and her being so damn cautious all the time. Anna is reckless, she's clearly not shy and loves performing, and as for being cautious, I don't think I've ever seen her pop or double an intended triple jump - she always goes for the triples even if things go horribly wrong, so I tend to think she's not cautious either. Plus her body changed a lot last year so some of her inconsistency may have been due to that. Plus she's so young, she was only doing 2f and 2lz last year so those jumps are new for her so it's not surprising that the technique isn't perfected yet, and further, she at least takes off the right edges for her flip AND lutz, which can't be said of most of these other girls...

I think it's too early to label either girl as the next Czisny because even Yuna bombed the FS at her first JGPF and bombed the SP at her first Junior Worlds, and I think we can all say she's never been a headcase. As for the other girls in Russia and competition being intense, Anna may be better off in the long run because it looks like she has already gone through her growthspurt and her body likely won't change that much in the future, so she may be able to improve while the other girls and battling their puberty woes, someone like Shelepen with those long legs will likely end up 5'7" and terribly inconsistent like Phaneuf or Kostner. Kiri is only 15, she has time to master the lutz and loop, and Anna had all the triples mastered at age 13 which is pretty impressive.

oleada
08-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Anna was doing 3Lz & 3F last year...see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZMINtHF07s

Anyway this is the US Senior ladies thread, I just wanna say I'm really anxious to see Ashley & Mirai's programs this year! Will also love to see Glacier Falls video and how much Gong has improved as she does have quite a good look on the ice.

pinky166
08-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Anna was doing 3Lz & 3F last year...see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZMINtHF07s

Anyway this is the US Senior ladies thread, I just wanna say I'm really anxious to see Ashley & Mirai's programs this year!

Oh well I think the last jump was a 2f at least.... Anyways, Czisny and Flatt don't have great jump technique but as long as they land their jumps they place well, and Rachael manages to do that without having great spins and spirals or incredibly high PCS. The only US senior lady right now who competes internationally that has technique so bad that simply landing the jumps is not enough is Caroline Zhang, but Anna's and Kiri's technique are nowhere near as bad as Caroline and further, they have better speed and basics than Caroline already despite being years younger. Sasha never had great jumps but if she landed enough of them she did well because the rest of her skating was so strong. Further, GOE on jumps have been lowered so skaters with very good jumps won't have as much of an advantage anymore because they won't be able to rely on big GOE on jumps to boost their scores.

pinky166
08-10-2010, 02:47 AM
Speaking of Czisny, any news? I've noticed her icenetwork profile has not been updated with programs for the new season yet and that she has not competed in a summer competition yet. I'm curious to see how she's doing with her new coaches, and if she got 2 new programs or just 1, but I really haven't seen/heard much about her since her very dissappointing nationals, which I believe was the last time she competed.

bek
08-10-2010, 05:18 AM

I think you misread me. I was criticizing Kiri's jump arsenal.

I mean't I don't think Anna is a good jumper because she has horrific technique and is inconsistent.

And I don't think Kiri right now is a good jumper because she's inconsistent and doesn't have a strong jumping arsenal.

oleada
08-10-2010, 05:23 AM
I think you misread me. I was criticizing Kiri's jump arsenal.

I mean't I don't think Anna is a good jumper because she has horrific technique and is inconsistent.

And I don't think Kiri right now is a good jumper because she's inconsistent and doesn't have a strong jumping arsenal.

bek, I was referring to pinky's post where she said Ovcharova wasn't doing 3F & 3Lz in the 2008/2009 season - she was.

I agree with you in regards to Kiri & Anna's jumps as I don't find them great jumpers, either. However, I enjoy both of their skating styles. I love their interpretation, exhuberance and speed on the ice. I'm looking forward to seeing Kiri take on La Strada and Anna's Chicago.

Polymer Bob
08-10-2010, 07:39 AM
The only US senior lady right now who competes internationally that has technique so bad that simply landing the jumps is not enough is Caroline Zhang, but Anna's and Kiri's technique are nowhere near as bad as Caroline and further, they have better speed and basics than Caroline already despite being years younger.

---- WARNING -------- M.O.A. ( Minority Opinion Alert !!!! )

After the 2009 Four Continents, there were several posters who were sure Caroline should be sent to Worlds. ( She beat out the very team we actually did send, and skated in the exhibition. ) If you have access to the archives, which require a paid subscription, check out the 2009 4CC ladies' freeskate thread. Start reading at about post 1,100.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64332

Some posters thought she was great, others thought her technique was bad.

Then in April at the World Team Trophy, Caroline scored slightly better than Rachael and her beautiful technique. Both girls took home $30,000 .

I think the difference between the 08 - 09 season and the 09 - 10 season was the series of injuries Caroline suffered in the latter season. She had an ACL tear, knee tentonitis and a back sprain that prevented her from doing her pearl spin. She also lost about 2 months of training. That would make anyone's technique look bad, and cause one to loose to inferior skaters. ( Just ask Rachael. )

Sylvia
08-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Speaking of Czisny, any news? I've noticed her icenetwork profile has not been updated with programs for the new season yet and that she has not competed in a summer competition yet. I'm curious to see how she's doing with her new coaches, and if she got 2 new programs or just 1,
I posted in the Programs thread in GSD back in early July that Czisny's USFS bio hadn't been updated with her program music yet, but she listed 2 new choreographers -- Renee Roca and Pasquale Camerlengo -- which leads me to believe she may have 2 new programs? We shall see.

bek
08-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by pinky166
The only US senior lady right now who competes internationally that has technique so bad that simply landing the jumps is not enough is Caroline Zhang, but Anna's and Kiri's technique are nowhere near as bad as Caroline and further, they have better speed and basics than Caroline already despite being years younger.

Anna's jumps are way more inconsistent than Caroline's ever where. And it is a problem. That's why I was comparing her to Czisny.

I agree with you in regards to Kiri & Anna's jumps as I don't find them great jumpers, either. However, I enjoy both of their skating styles. I love their interpretation, exhuberance and speed on the ice. I'm looking forward to seeing Kiri take on La Strada and Anna's Chicago.

I like both of their styles to and their skating skills. I'm just tired of hearing that full package doesn't include the jumps because in singles, jumps absolutely are included. I think that Kiri though maybe could get the harder jumps still.

Autumn_girl
08-10-2010, 03:49 PM
I like both of their styles to and their skating skills. I'm just tired of hearing that full package doesn't include the jumps because in singles, jumps absolutely are included. I think that Kiri though maybe could get the harder jumps still.

Maybe. But she is inconsistent just like Anna or even worse. So I doubt that her harder jumps will be solid when she doesn't even land her 3T and 3S clean. As for Anna, she already improved her jumps a lot and still has a chance to make them better, though the new season will not be easy for her.

ITA about the "full package".

mgobluegirl
08-10-2010, 05:42 PM
I actually think that Kiri has very nice jump technique, especially on her 3T (yes, I know it's only a toe, but I think most people on this board would kill for a 3T like hers, myself included). Yeah, she might not have them all yet, but she was Novice champ just the season before last, so I'd give her time before counting her out.

pinky166
08-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Anna's jumps are way more inconsistent than Caroline's ever where. And it is a problem. That's why I was comparing her to Czisny.

But the point I was trying to make was that when Alissa lands her jumps (and rotates them), she doesn't get hammered with -GOE and edge calls like Caroline does, so even though her technique isn't the best, if she just had better consistency, she could still do really well for herself even with her present technique. That's how I see Anna and Kiri being, right now the consistency isn't there, but if they managed to learn better consistency, I don't think their present jump techniques would prevent them from being competitive with other top girls, judging how Kiri won both her GPs and Anna won silver and the LP at junior nationals when both girls landed their jumps.

And the full package does include jumps, but with girls this young who are still developing into their bodies and working on mastering triples, I don't think it's entirely out of the question that they couldn't learn to become good, or at least consistent, jumpers. Everything else is there already, so they can focus more on jumps. This is why I think Gao could be a real force in the near future, because I think she can learn to have better spins and presentation and already is solid on the rest.

Sylvia
08-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Maybe we'll see Dobbs and/or Musademba at Golden West.
Musademba has registered for Golden West now as well as Dobbs/Jacobsen in Senior Pairs (don't yet know if Dobbs also plans to compete in singles there).

Christina Gao's latest journal entry (August 8) confirms she will skate her Junior programs at the Thornhill competition in Canada later this week: http://www.figureskatersonline.com/christinagao/journal3.htm