PDA

View Full Version : Who medals in 1992 Olympic womens AA with everyone hitting

Pages : [1] 2 3

judgejudy27
05-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Which 3 women do you believe would have medaled in the 1992 Olympic AA had everyone stuck all their routines with stuck landings and no balance breaks of any kind. This is perhaps my favorite womens field of all time. So many gymnasts I enjoyed that year. My picks would be Gutsu, Milosovici, and Lysenko. Miller would be my other possibility in this scenario, but I think Milo sticking her beam and bar dismounts comes out ahead of her here. I dont think Kim would have medaled hitting all her routines even with how everyone did, let alone with everyone sticking cold. Boginskaya didnt have the difficulty to medal if everyone did their best this year, in fact other than that split leap on beam she couldnt have done any better than she did as it was while most of the others could have. Onodi wouldnt have gotten the scores needed on beam or bars to medal in this scenario IMO. A young Gogean did pretty much the best she could have that day as it was also. Bontas could have done better and won a medal that day, but probably not with the others all doing their best as well. Okino was well out of it by that point. Pick 3 gymnasts

miffy
05-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Oops I only voted for 1. Sorry! :o I voted for Yang Bo. I remember her as being amazing.

LKR
05-11-2010, 03:59 AM
Oops I only voted for 1. Sorry! :o I voted for Yang Bo. I remember her as being amazing.

She was an amazing beam worker but quite average everywhere else.

BigB08822
05-11-2010, 05:50 AM
Yang Bo was definitely not a contender but her beam was :swoon:

Look at this one from 1989:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=901Ka86eMLs

miffy
05-11-2010, 07:32 AM
She was an amazing beam worker but quite average everywhere else.

I loved her floor routines too.

asdf334
05-11-2010, 07:54 AM

Ah, yes, who could possibly forget GREAT BALLS OF FIRE and BONANZA! :D

Quintuple
05-11-2010, 08:01 AM
I chose Gutsu, Lyssenko, and Onodi. But I haven't seen every event from Bontas.

I remember *crying* because I had to go to bed the night it was broadcast, set the VCR, and the next day saw that it was all static. My uncle the electrician said the entire batch had been "magnetized". To this day I still have not seen the 1992 AA competition in full. I have to settle for my Team Finals and spotty EF tape (without full bars or any beam). Sigh!

BigB08822
05-11-2010, 05:41 PM
I chose Gutsu, Lyssenko, and Onodi. But I haven't seen every event from Bontas.

I remember *crying* because I had to go to bed the night it was broadcast, set the VCR, and the next day saw that it was all static. My uncle the electrician said the entire batch had been "magnetized". To this day I still have not seen the 1992 AA competition in full. I have to settle for my Team Finals and spotty EF tape (without full bars or any beam). Sigh!

Youtube has all of it, at least the version aired on US television. This is the first part, look on the right for the other parts, they should be labeled part 2, 3, 4, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDgEIVrIPLY

Twilight1
05-11-2010, 05:51 PM
I always felt if Gutsu hit it, she would have won AA even if everyone else did too.

judgejudy27
05-11-2010, 06:23 PM
If Gutsu hit her best routines she probably would have scored a 10 on both beam and floor because of the difficulty. With 9.950s on vault and bars that is a 39.900 total. I doubt anyone else was reaching that as well.

Personally I think if everyone hit Lysenko is the one who would have deserved to win, in part since her double yurchenko should have been scored out of a 10.2 if everyone elses yurchenko full was being scored out of a 10. Shame on the rules for not finding someway to reward her for that.

A bit surprised Bontas has no votes yet. She was a pretty big force around then. Interesting to see I am not the only one who thought Zmeskal didnt have as great a shot as the U.S media believed she did.

Rob
05-11-2010, 06:31 PM
I stuck with the 3 who won the medals because I can't recall Lysenko's difficulty on bars and floor. But I'd guess 3 of Gutsu, Lysenko, Milosovici, and Miller.

I read that Lysenko is a California lawyer now.

briancoogaert
05-11-2010, 09:31 PM
The podium was perfect for me.
But Tatiana Lysenko could have been on the podium as well. She was amazing. But in front of Gutsu, Miller and Milo who were all so complete, it was difficult !

Yehudi
05-11-2010, 09:38 PM
I stuck with the 3 who won the medals because I can't recall Lysenko's difficulty on bars and floor. But I'd guess 3 of Gutsu, Lysenko, Milosovici, and Miller.

I read that Lysenko is a California lawyer now.

Lyssenko had a double layout and full-in on floor.

LKR
05-11-2010, 11:10 PM

Agreed. Actually during Yang Bo's prime (1989) she was a very good all-arounder. She placed 5th AA and made three event finals at the 1989 Worlds, but her gymnastics (minus beam) went south from 1990 onward.

BigB08822
05-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Agreed. Actually during Yang Bo's prime (1989) she was a very good all-arounder. She placed 5th AA and made three event finals at the 1989 Worlds, but her gymnastics (minus beam) went south from 1990 onward.

Yes, 1989 was her year. She even made floor event finals, you wouldn't have thought that watching her even just a couple of years later on floor. I guess her body changed and she couldn't keep up with it on floor. She simply never had the power on vault.

Her beam routine at 1989 Worlds EF was easily about to win until she had that infamous landing on her dismount where she took 4 or 5 really funny steps to keep from falling on her head. The interior was :swoon: I think, even with the huge dismount error, she scored 9.800