PDA

View Full Version : RIP Lena Horne

Pages : 1 [2]

TalentedButHumble
05-10-2010, 04:26 PM
She will be remembered for her astounding talent, her astonishing beauty and her indomitable spirit as long as her films, TV appearances and recordings exist.

I hope the last two generations of performers, as well as future ones, appreciate what she and others endured and fought for so that the lives of all people of color would be easier and freer.

What you said. She was one classy lady who rose above it all.

Civic
05-10-2010, 06:49 PM
:(Sigh...another of my favorite performers has gone to her reward. What a talented performer and what a role model for aspiring African-American performers. We can take comfort in that she lived a very long and full life. RIP.

Edited to add: Lena Horne fans should read "The Hornes: An American Family" by Lena's daughter, Gail Lumet Buckley.

Rex
05-10-2010, 06:50 PM
I'd love to see the bubble bath scene that they cut from "Cabin in the Sky" 'cause it was too sexy...

sweetsparky
05-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Her signature song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCG3kJtQBKo

RIP, Ms Horne.

Thanks, a great lady and impressive talent.

Nan
05-10-2010, 06:58 PM
RIP Ms Horne. :(

AragornElessar
05-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Has TCM made any announcement about a Tribute night for this legendary Lady?

Kasey
05-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Wow, I had no idea she was 92. What a beautiful, strong, talented and classy lady. I am sure she will be missed by many.

VALuvsMKwan
05-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Has TCM made any announcement about a Tribute night for this legendary Lady?

I believe they have already shown a tribute interstitial video today featuring "If You Can Dream", from "Meet Me in Las Vegas".

I am sure there will be a memorial tribute night soon.

BTW, Rex, part of "Ain't It the Truth" from "Cabin in the Sky" is shown in That's Entertainment III, which you can rent. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't part of Special Features on the CITS DVD, if there is one.

missflick
05-11-2010, 01:39 AM
I didn't know they used to cut scenes featuring her so the movies could be shown in the south. :eek:

Rex
05-11-2010, 02:14 AM
BTW, Rex, part of "Ain't It the Truth" from "Cabin in the Sky" is shown in That's Entertainment III, which you can rent. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't part of Special Features on the CITS DVD, if there is one. I guess I'll be renting it...I'm not a big musical fan, but I loved Lena's two starring movies...

I didn't know they used to cut scenes featuring her so the movies could be shown in the south. :eek: Yes, they did, the bastards. Her scenes were always filmed so as not to be integral to the plots of the films she was featured in. They also made her wear a darker makeup onscreen because she photographed like a white woman. So Louis B. Mayer, that "sweetheart", had Max Factor create a shade for her called "Dark Egyptian" that they put all over her body so she looked "black" enough. MGM mistreated her, but those were the times.

piano18
05-11-2010, 05:45 AM
I love Stormy Weather

Dr.Siouxs
05-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Her longevity and success in pop music is incredible. RIP Lena.