PDA

View Full Version : Why all the Amber Corwin bashing?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

JamieSix
05-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Amber's Ideal Day:
"my perfect day would be to wake up at my beach house, walking to Pilates class while drinking a double tall, nonfat, extra hot latte with two raw sugars from Starbucks, listening to Sting, followed by a game of beach volleyball, lunch at an outside cafe with friends, a sushi dinner, going to a Madonna concert in the evening and finally sitting in a nice, quaint martini lounge with Diana Krall playing in the background."

:lol:

I read that before. Stereotypical day of a preppy yuppie from Southern California. :EVILLE:

(I'm being an asshole because I'm from NJ. ;) )

Garden Kitty
05-11-2010, 06:15 PM
I always liked Amber, and as someone mentioned above, I liked the fact she kept skating because she really seemed to enjoy it. Good for her for going to school while she competed, as well.

shady82
05-12-2010, 04:32 AM
She did seem to enjoy it! Especially the costumes.......

and Quintuple, I would love to hear your reason #9. Send me a message about it if you want. ;)

IceJunkie
05-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Amber's Ideal Day:
"my perfect day would be to wake up at my beach house, walking to Pilates class while drinking a double tall, nonfat, extra hot latte with two raw sugars from Starbucks, listening to Sting, followed by a game of beach volleyball, lunch at an outside cafe with friends, a sushi dinner, going to a Madonna concert in the evening and finally sitting in a nice, quaint martini lounge with Diana Krall playing in the background."

:lol:

That is why this woman is FSU's Unofficial Gay Icon. :lol:

skateboy
05-12-2010, 08:55 AM
When Amber first started competing in seniors, I remember thinking she seemed to have potential. Then after a few years, I found her skating kind of annoying (JMO), and wondered when she was going to quit. But as she kept going, I began to really look forward to seeing her, and I was actually sad when she finally retired.

Artifice
05-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Amber Corwin, whatever her weaknesses were and despites the fact I didn't like her style, actually managed to get to the international with the US team ! That is an accomplishment.
Many skaters couldn't do that, and she did. So she had the right level. However internationaly she was not really competitive but it can't be said she was bad or without qualities since she earned her spot in the team.

By the way, other than her discutable technic what I really don't like is her overacted diva attitude, her exageretad confidence. She always seemed to consider herself as the most beautifull and interesting skater in the world, when she was far from being pretty to begin with. Just this presomptuous attitude...

Morry Stillwell
05-12-2010, 04:06 PM
[

By the way, other than her discutable technic what I really don't like is her overacted diva attitude, her exageretad confidence. She always seemed to consider herself as the most beautifull and interesting skater in the world, when she was far from being pretty to begin with. Just this presomptuous attitude...[/QUOTE]

You have just described a skater that skated for the sheer joy of skating and a person that seems to enjoy her life. I saw Amber at last week's US Figure Skating's Governing Council. Amber is still the same outgoing and pleasant person that fans witnessed during her competition days. :)

CynicElle
05-12-2010, 04:14 PM
[

You have just described a skater that skated for the sheer joy of skating and a person that seems to enjoy her life. I saw Amber at last week's US Figure Skating's Governing Council. Amber is still the same outgoing and pleasant person that fans witnessed during her competition days. :)

:cheer2: I can't say I was ever a big fan of Amber's skating, but she always seemed like a sweet person and a hard worker. It's great to hear she's doing well.

CantALoop
05-13-2010, 05:12 AM
I think the only thing "diva" about Amber Corwin is her ability to get along great with gay guys. :lol:

A friend of mine at met her once and said he wishes he lived closer to LA because Amber would've been a great f_g hag. :glamor::hat1:

Artifice
05-13-2010, 10:04 AM
[

Well, Kwan has always demonstrated a sheer joy while skating and she never appeared to me as a presumptuous diva unlike Corwin who just has too much confidence for my taste, especially considering that technically and artistically wise she was never a real master. And the tiara... I like subtle skaters, those who demonstrate joy with more humility.
Gordeeva or Janet Lynn both are very expressive and demonstrate a real sheer joy in their skating, but they are far from looking like presomptuous divas on the ice.

Nours
05-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Well, Kwan has always demonstrated a sheer joy while skating and she never appeared to me as a presumptuous diva unlike Corwin who just has too much confidence for my taste, especially considering that technically and artistically wise she was never a real master. And the tiara... I like subtle skaters, those who demonstrate joy with more humility.
Gordeeva or Janet Lynn both are very expressive and demonstrate a real sheer joy in their skating, but they are far from looking like presomptuous divas on the ice.

She maybe wasn't worthy of a gold medal but she was better than you, than me and than a lot of skater, no need to bash.

Yazmeen
05-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Good grief, am I the ONLY person in the world who recognized the tiara as part of the "Holly Golightly" aspect of her costume, considering it was music from Breakfast at Tiffany's and the overall look resembled Audrey Hepburn's outfit in the movie??? I thought it was darling.

http://blissfleur.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/holly-golightly.jpg

I think too much "diva emphasis" is being placed on something meant to pay tribute to a fashion icon from a fashion student and skater!

Edited to add: And my overall impression of Amber was she an all around nice person.

IceKween
05-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Good grief, am I the ONLY person in the world who recognized the tiara as part of the "Holly Golightly" aspect of her costume, considering it was music from Breakfast at Tiffany's and the overall look resembled Audrey Hepburn's outfit in the movie??? I thought it was darling.

Um, I think we all got the reference to Breakfast at Tiffanys. The problem was that she is no Audrey Hepburn, and it came across as a poorly misguided attempt to recreate her iconic image. Epic fail.
I've run into her at several competitions, and she has always been nice and friendly. I don't think anyone is bashing her personally, just her skating, which is kinda merited. IMO.

Artifice
05-14-2010, 02:55 PM
She maybe wasn't worthy of a gold medal but she was better than you, than me and than a lot of skater, no need to bash.

Obviously you didn't read my previous post and talk a little too fast because in my post I said that whatever we can say bad about Corwin she managed to be in the US team, and she had the right level to compete internationaly.

And in case you didn't notice this is the "Why all the Amber Corwin bashing ?" thread, meaning that we are talking about why indeed she may be bashed. If you don't want to read that there are tons of other topics that will satisfy you.

leafygreens
05-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Um, I think we all got the reference to Breakfast at Tiffanys. The problem was that she is no Audrey Hepburn, and it came across as a poorly misguided attempt to recreate her iconic image. Epic fail.
I've run into her at several competitions, and she has always been nice and friendly. I don't think anyone is bashing her personally, just her skating, which is kinda merited. IMO.

Was Oksana really a Swan with the thing on her head? Or Johnny with the red glove? Or any of the other skaters who have skated to themes. Give Amber a break. What skater would be iconic enough to portray Audrey? Michelle? But then there would be complaints that Audrey wasn't Asian... :duh: I thought Amber's program was pretty unique, and her lack of podium finishes is sort of made irrelevant by her insanely long career.