PDA

View Full Version : Rebuildling trust in a work relationship

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25

genegri
05-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Sounds like no one in that immediate department will provide reference, so you will need to look a little further.

How about the boss before your current (or last) boss, do you still have contact? Are there anyone who has left the company that you can use as reference? Are any of your friends who at least at some point worked with you?

BaileyCatts
05-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Oh, and the biggest question ... how the hell do you look for a job anyway?! I have no idea how to look for a job. I went to the websites of some big companies that have offices in my city and filled out their online form, even though they had no administrator jobs posted .... but now what do you do? I don't even know how to look for a job.

Stormy
05-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Oh, and the biggest question ... how the hell do you look for a job anyway?! I have no idea how to look for a job. I went to the websites of some big companies that have offices in my city and filled out their online form, even though they had no administrator jobs posted .... but now what do you do? I don't even know how to look for a job.

There are many websites you can check. My last few jobs came from Craigslist. I've also checked Monster.com and CareerBuilder.com but I've found the best luck on Craigslist. Also, network. Ask friends or acquaintences if there are any openings in their companies or if they can keep an ear out for any openings.

SHARPIE
05-27-2010, 04:44 PM
How much time realistically do you have before you have to look for another job? If you could wait a few months then I suppose the 'I went travelling and now I am back, I am looking for new opportunities' line would work?

Obviously read up on where ever you 'travel' ;)

Good Luck!

Flatfoote
05-27-2010, 04:44 PM
What about the boss you moved to that department to work with originally? The one you said quit after 6 months. Can you look him up and see if he'll be a personal reference for you? Sometimes you just need a person you actually worked for in the past to provide a reference.

ETA: Oh, I see someone already mentioned that as I was typing. LOL. Great minds and all that!

As for how to look for a job. In my city, when I filed for unemployment, they referred me to the county's Job Service Center. They held various workshops and stuff on how to look for jobs. If you don't have a Job Service Center in your area, you might want to try Googling something like, "Job Search Workshop" or something for your area.

Cyn
05-27-2010, 04:47 PM
I would see about working with a temp agency or a recruiter of sorts - as has been mentioned before, a lot of temp jobs, especially if they're assignments for longer periods than a few days or a couple of weeks, can often lead to a permanent job offer if your performance there is impressive. I temped for a while after college, and out of five of them (all of which were for a minimum of one month), I was offered a permanent position at all but one. By going that route, you can get a better idea of what the office environment and the dynamics between co-workers is like and decide if it's a company where you would like to work as a permanent employee.

If you do go the temp route, it's absolutely imperative that you don't trash your former company and its employees to anyone - that kind of stuff is taken into consideration, especially if there's the potential of a job offer, so you want to present yourself in as positive a light as possible.

I also second genegri's and flatfoote's idea of contacting your previous boss (the one that left after 6 months) about a reference.

Good luck :) .

Debbie S
05-27-2010, 04:51 PM
How about the boss before your current (or last) boss, do you still have contact? Are there anyone who has left the company that you can use as reference? Are any of your friends who at least at some point worked with you?I agree with these suggestions.

Oh, and the biggest question ... how the hell do you look for a job anyway?! I have no idea how to look for a job. I went to the websites of some big companies that have offices in my city and filled out their online form, even though they had no administrator jobs posted .... but now what do you do? I don't even know how to look for a job.That's why it would be a good idea to sign up with a temp agency, as others have suggested. In fact, sometimes, if you are long-term with the agency, they will provide you with health benefits. Some positions they'll place you in will be short-term temp, others could be temp-to-perm, meaning the employer wants to try you out. As long as the temp agency gets good reports about you, they'll keep sending you on other jobs, and have positive things to say about you to their clients.

Regarding the COBRA coverage, yes, they should give you the forms. I think you have 90 days after your coverage terminates to sign up. I believe it's retroactive, so if you sign up on Day 45, as long as you pay for coverage going back to Day 1, you're covered for anything that happens during the 'lapse'. Your forms will have a number for you to contact - either someone at your company or (usually) a benefits administator company. You send them a check (and any forms you're asked for) and then they'll bill you monthly after that. Depending on your plan, it could be very expensive. You could always drop dental, and any other add-ons beyond the basic coverage. You may want to check out individual plans - these are usually cheaper - but I wouldn't recommend those unless you are in very good health (there's an underwriting process) with no pre-existing conditions and don't need a lot of ongoing medical care.

sk8er1964
05-27-2010, 05:23 PM

You should call your local unemployment office. Your company has paid into the system for you - you are entitled to those benefits. Along with giving you some financial assistance (although it's never what you were previously living on), they also have job counsellors who can assist you. I am sure that, with today's economic climate, you are not the first long-term employee they've seen and they might even have some sort of special assistance (ie job retraining programs) that can help you.

ETA - I am assuming that you are in the US. I don't know how this stuff works in other countries.

GarrAarghHrumph
05-27-2010, 05:30 PM
She said that is what they confirm .. employment dates, title, salary. Basically they just confirm that you worked there. She also said they would not provide references. How am I supposed to apply for jobs with no references? My boss said he would not provide a reference for me. Do companies really still require a list of references these days that they will call and want to speak about your abilities? I have a few friends I can use, but they are other administrators like me, not managers.

Companies really do check references, yes. You will need them. And you may actually have them and not know it. Think of your old bosses - not the most recent bosses, but old bosses you had at this company - bosses who liked your work. Those folks are your references.

Contact them now. Tell them that you're looking for a new position, and that you're hoping that you can ask them to serve as a PERSONAL reference. The "personal" is key, here; it allows them to give you a reference even if the company has a policy where they cannot. In effect, they're not giving you a work reference - they're giving you personal reference. And they were your boss when they knew you. :lol: Yes, it's silly, but it works.

Contact 2-3 old bosses and ask them if you can use them as personal references.

GarrAarghHrumph
05-27-2010, 05:33 PM

The unemployment office/Department of Labor offers workshops on things like this. How to look for a job. What's expected of applicants. Etc. It wouldn't be a bad idea to ask about this when you file for unemployment, and it's really normal for someone who's been out of the job hunting environment for several years to need such a refresher. It's also different now than it was 22 years ago.

My suggestions for finding a new job - use the web, local newspaper classifieds, and your network. For the web, go to the company's website, yes. Also use www.monster.com. Get the Sunday papers that are published for your region and use their classifieds. And use your network - make sure that everyone you know knows you are looking, and what you're looking for.

Update your resume now, if you haven't done that. Spend significant time on that. In fact, since it's been 22 years since you've searched, I'd like you to look up information on what's expected from administrative resumes, and model yours on what you learn. This sample isn't bad:
http://www.distinctiveweb.com/samples/sample6/index.html

And the job assistance center/unemployment/Department of Labor in your area, as part of their services, should offer resume writing seminars, as well as seminars on cover letters.

agalisgv
05-27-2010, 05:36 PM
Technically BC doesn't qualify for unemployment because she was fired for cause. That said, large companies often don't contest unemployment when a former employee applies even if they were fired for cause, so BC might want to give it a try anyway. There are many more resources made available there.

Aceon6
05-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Oh, and the biggest question ... how the hell do you look for a job anyway?!

Seconding the recommendation to head directly to the Unemployment Office. Sign up for benefits AND sign up for the career counseling. Sign up for any support groups they offer. Sign up for any training they offer, even if it's only remotely related to what you're looking for. Live there, if necessary, as this is likely the only free assistance you can get.

One thing that came to mind, experienced admins are huge assets to political campaigns. If you have any interest in politics at all, call and volunteer for a candidate for state-wide office. The 2010 elections will be very intense, you'll be busy yet available to look for work, and you'll meet a lot of people who know who's hiring. I know you said that you're introverted, but this is one time to suck it up and actively engage with as many people as possible. Political campaigns are a great place to do that.

Jayar
05-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Technically BC doesn't qualify for unemployment because she was fired for cause. That said, large companies often don't contest unemployment when a former employee applies even if they were fired for cause, so BC might want to give it a try anyway. There are many more resources made available there.

She should still open a claim. That way she is on the books as unemployed, and she can take advantage of any and all benefits that they can offer. Our office contracts with JobOne (I believe that's what it is called), and they have a large database of jobs that if they fill with an unemployed person, the company gets a kickback. It's a win-win.

Look at Temp agencies ASAP. Have your resume in order, and contact one of them. Kelly Services and Manpower are global, and have offices in most cities. Look their first. Good luck, BC. And nothing is impossible... I have been without a real job for almost three years now, and I am keeping my head above water so far!

Flatfoote
05-27-2010, 05:44 PM
And if you file for unemployment and are denied, appeal it no matter what. It can't hurt.

I was denied after I was laid off, cause the temp agency that placed me there said I left the temp agency's employment on my own accord before the contract was up. What they failed to mention was, the reason I "left" them was cause the company they placed me at (and I ended up getting laid off from a year later) had liked me enough at the time to buy out the contract from the temp agency (rather than waiting the allotted time), so the temp agency made its full money off of me after all.

I won the appeal, and got my full unemployment benifits after all.

vesperholly
05-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Indeed.com has yielded the best search results for jobs for me. You enter keywords and a city, and it searches every job site out there.