PDA

View Full Version : Rebuildling trust in a work relationship

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

overedge
05-10-2010, 08:39 PM
There's a big difference between clicking into someone's email by mistake (which I have also done) and logging out again as soon as you realize the mistake....and going into someone's email account without authorization, multiple times, reading all their messages, sending messages pretending to be them, etc. etc. *That* is the kind of email abuse that people get fired for.

You have some very good advice already about what to say to your boss and how to say it. But if what you did and/or saw becomes an issue, I assume that your organization has some kind of email logging that shows who logs in when to what account and what they do. IF your boss is going to accuse you of abusing his email - which I don't think he is, but just in case - ask him to review the records of his account activity. From what you've said it sounds like you were in the account only briefly and didn't actually do anything with what was in there. You can tell him that the records will show that, if it becomes an issue.

BaileyCatts
05-10-2010, 08:47 PM
We have Outlook 2003. I don't understand about email logging? Does Outlook 2003 do this if you are just a delegate? It not like I had the man's password and logged in as him. Its like a little link on your list of your folders, and you just click the link?

Stormy
05-10-2010, 08:53 PM
We have Outlook 2003. I don't understand about email logging? Does Outlook 2003 do this if you are just a delegate? It not like I had the man's password and logged in as him. Its like a little link on your list of your folders, and you just click the link?

I think I get what you mean? In your Outlook, there's folders that are his e-mail and folders that are yours?

BaileyCatts
05-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Yes, that's right. I log in with my password and of course see my Inbox and I have a list of folders I sort things in (its listed on the left side of screen and alsoincludes a deleted folder, sent folder, draft folder, junk mail, etc.). On this same list so another little "tab" that lists his inbox, sent, deleted, junk, etc. folders. So does email logging mean they can tell when I clicked "his" boxes versus mine? I just want to understand what this means.

overedge
05-10-2010, 09:14 PM
It's not email logging in Outlook (it might be, but I don't use Outlook so I'm not familiar with it). What I mean by "email logging" is that somewhere in the IT department there is a server that tracks *all* the activity that *everyone* on the system carries out....be it email logging in/out, what applications they open, what websites they are looking at, etc. etc.

The records on that server should show which computer or location opened which account when. So yes, if there is a folder with your boss's stuff on your computer, and you clicked into it and out of it, that activity should be recorded, as long as the system recognizes that your computer and his are different (some servers only recognize a single location or node and not all the individual computers that might be networked to that location).

But really, this is only something you should have to worry about if he accuses you of doing something other than going into his folder, realizing your mistake, and going out again.

Jenny
05-10-2010, 09:31 PM
It's not email logging in Outlook (it might be, but I don't use Outlook so I'm not familiar with it). What I mean by "email logging" is that somewhere in the IT department there is a server that tracks *all* the activity that *everyone* on the system carries out....be it email logging in/out, what applications they open, what websites they are looking at, etc. etc.

I see your point overedge about being prepared if this gets bigger or comes up again - however, if Bailey is spending work time on FSU and other personal sites or sending personal emails etc, this is not a can of worms you want to open.

The fact that she's always had access to her boss's email makes me wonder what the fuss is about - did he not know you had access? You might have an opportunity to show that you are proactive and responsible by suggesting to him that you contact IT yourself to remove those folders from your Outlook set up. If he needs you to action something in future, he can send it to you.

Also, just a word of caution - if you have access to his emails, maybe he also has access to yours, or other people do (other than IT of course). Best to keep your nose clean at work and not use it for anything personal (including online shopping etc).

BaileyCatts
05-10-2010, 09:42 PM
The fact that she's always had access to her boss's email makes me wonder what the fuss is about - did he not know you had access?

That's the part I can't remember. When I started working for him 1.5 years ago, I sat at his desk and fixed the delegate page and clicked all the boxes (which is Calendar, Inbox, Tasks, Notes, Contact List), because I always click all the boxes. I can't remember if I specifically asked him if I should have access to his email, or I just automatically did it and asked him later and he said no he would manage, and then I never went back and removed it. So maybe he knew and maybe he didn't. I really can't remember. When he saw that message he had sent on my screen, I think the first thing he did was look at that delegate page and saw I had his Inbox and that other stuff, and clicked off all the boxes except calendar.

Yes, I'm still freaked out. :shuffle:

snoopy
05-10-2010, 10:14 PM
BaileyCatts, do you do desktop support? Where I work only IT can set access like that.

BaileyCatts
05-10-2010, 10:27 PM
No. In Outlook, as long as you know where to go to set it, you just go on the person's computer in their Outlook box, click Tools, Options, Delegates ... its all very self expanaltory and you just do it yourself. IT does not have to go behind the scenes and do anything. You would only need IT's help to walk you thru it if you really didn't know how to set that stuff. But you do it yourself at your own computer while you are logged into Outlook.

overedge
05-10-2010, 10:42 PM
I can see why you're freaked out...but on the other hand I can think of a lot worser things that people at work do, and get fired for (sometimes).

I think what Jenny has suggested you say is excellent. Even if your boss is an ex-military by the book kind of guy, I am sure he isn't so hardnosed as to think that clicking on his calendar by mistake is something worth firing you over. And I can't see why he wouldn't understand that you "lied" - I don't think you did in a deceitful manipulative way, just that you misspoke what was going on because you were confused and upset about your mistake.

It sounds like you really haven't sorted out who has access to whose files - that you've just been operating on an informal understanding that has worked until now - so it would also make you look proactive and solution-oriented to bring that up with him, and to reach some sort of explicit mutual agreement that will hopefully avoid this issue happening again.

Stormy
05-11-2010, 03:14 PM
If you've had access to his e-mail all the time, I'm surprised you didn't click on it accidentally before. So you were on his computer when this happened? If you were on his computer, he must have seen in Outlook there were two sets of folders, one for you and one for him. He must have known you had access to it.

Sounds like a good solution is to have yourself removed from his access all together, so he's assured it won't happen again.

Quintuple
05-13-2010, 10:55 PM
How did it turn out? I typed out some thoughts, but everyone else covered it. I hope it turned out for the better!

Rock2
05-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Often times, crises are the best times to (re)build a relationship such that you end up in a great place. This may be one of those times.

I'll keep in mind he's ex military and make some stereotypical assumptions there.

I agree that you want to be factual but you want to be 'real', too. Being human is often times the tie that binds.

If it were me, here are the types of things I'd do/say:

*schedule a meeting
*don't worry about being eloquent or polished since you are likely to be a loss for words on certain things. This works for you in terms of being sincere.

When you meet, be totally up front but tell him you don't have all the answers. Put yourself in his shoes and think about him. I can't emphasize this enough. The meeting is about him...not you. Points I'd make:
*I'm here because of what you saw and how I handled the situation
*I want to explain as best I can and leave you with some feeling that I can be trusted...because I can.
*I'm absolutely disappointed in the whole situation and I can't imagine how you're feeling.
*Here's what happened (and then explain it as you did earlier)
*Include an explanation about how you reacted when you were confronted, indicating that your embarrassment was overwhelming that you worked to minimize it by deflecting the situation rather than living up to your mistake
*Now you're here to live up to the mistake...and apologize
*I'd tell him (if this is true) that this is the only time this has happened, which you realize might be hard to believe, but you are telling the truth. If email activity can in any way be investigated by the company, you are happy to have that happen and that he'd find no suspicious activity.
*Finally reassure him that you feel terrible, he's in no danger having you as his assistant but realize all you can do is tell the truth and apologize. You appreciate that he has to make a judgement and you'll live with whatever he thinks is fair.

He'd probably let you off the hook if you are sincere and "real" enough without being emotional.

Those are my thoughts.

Good luck

Aussie Willy
05-14-2010, 02:03 AM
We all make mistakes but it the ones who can discuss them openly and honestly who usually gain the most respect. I would try and see him first thing when back at work and just be upfront about it. Taking the initiative is always a good thing.

On the other hand it sounds like you are freaking out about it because you are going over it in your mind again and again. It could be more than likely it has moved to the back of his mind. And thus creating a mountain out of a molehill for yourself. And if you are away from work this is only playing on your mind more because you are not there and not in a position to deal with it.

In the end this is only a small thing in life. Live and learn. But I understand how easy it is easy to get bogged down in detail.

Aceon6
05-14-2010, 09:36 PM
So, what happened? Did you work it out?