PDA

View Full Version : Rebuildling trust in a work relationship

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

BaileyCatts
05-26-2010, 09:54 PM
I was fired. No severance. She made it sound like they had to bend over backwards to pay out my vacation. I did have a lawyer, as my sister works for a lawyer, but there was really nothing he could do due to they said it was for cause for violating the PVPs or whatever for a effing mistake. It was on my screen for 5 effing seconds and I didn't even look at it. And considering the HR lady is one of the little gang I am not a part of, I didn't appreciate her smirking and eye rolling, or not giving me one single solitary piece of information any terminating employee should receive, and telling me that if I did not sign the form they gave me, I would not get my personal belonings back. Yes, she actually said that. That I escalated to HER manager. I did have a lawyer read it, it was a standard departing employee form stating I can't share secrets. Big effing deal, I don't know any. However one thing he did say was this form did not say anything about me saying anything bad about them. Good to know. The internet is vast, and so was my time today. And so are competitors of my company, and I already have in applications. Form didn't say anything about working for competitors. Too bad for them.

As for the person who said apparently my boss did not hold me in the regard I held him, apparently so. Although the person who said my initial reaction may have caused the greater problem might be right, I still don't understand why I responded the way that I did. But I still think he would have pushed it. This was simply finally a way that department could get rid of me since they have never liked me, and vice versa. As you can tell, I am bitter. I never wanted to work in that effing department to begin with. I only did to move with my boss at THAT time, and he up and quits 6 months later. If I would have stayed where I was two years ago, this never happens. And I hate that those damn bytches have won and I can only imagine the "did you hear BC got fired" gossip going around.

Thanks for the comforting thoughts and suggestions and help though.

rfisher
05-26-2010, 10:01 PM
BC, I know the temptation is great to trash your company, but I strongly advise you NOT TO DO SO. Not on the internet and certainly not to a competitor or on a job interview. It will not hurt them, but will have a horrible impact on you. You never, ever say something negative about your previous employer if you are looking for a new job. Ever.

Hope things work out for you soon.

gkelly
05-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Although the person who said my initial reaction may have caused the greater problem might be right, I still don't understand why I responded the way that I did.

You need to figure out why and make sure you don't react that way to mistakes in the future. Just calmly owning up to the mistake immediately could probably have salvaged this situation and will serve you well in other such circumstances. Everyone makes mistakes -- how we handle them is just as important.

Prancer
05-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Ah, BC, I am sorry to hear that you were fired. That is really tough.

I already have in applications. Form didn't say anything about working for competitors.

That's great! I hope you get some interviews soon.

BC, I know the temptation is great to trash your company, but I strongly advise you NOT TO DO SO. Not on the internet and certainly not to a competitor or on a job interview. It will not hurt them, but will have a horrible impact on you. You never, ever say something negative about your previous employer if you are looking for a new job. Ever.

ITA. You worked for a huge company; you aren't going to take them down or do them any real harm, but you can really hurt yourself going down that road. I know you're feeling bitter right now and that's understandable, but if you express that bitterness to potential employers, it will not make them eager to hire you.

Good luck. Let us know when you get a new job.

*Jen*
05-26-2010, 10:17 PM

ITA!!!

RESIST the temptation. It will only reflect badly on you. Try to avoid saying anything at all, and if you have to, keep it to a brief "I appreciated the opportunity to work at company X for 22 years".

There may be an appropriate point in the future to trash them, but that is not before you have a new job.

Deep breaths, chin up and look for something better :)

skatesindreams
05-26-2010, 10:20 PM
BC, at least this is over, and you can find a better opportunity.
I'm glad that you have applications filed elsewhere.
It seems "beyond the pale" that you aren't allowed to recover your personal property.

Is there any indication of what they are permitted to/will say to perspective employers?

It may not feel like it now; but, this is probably for the best, given the atmosphere that would have surrounded you, had you remained there.

numbers123
05-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Do.Not.Speak.Poorly. Believe me I know how hard it is - I really do know how hard it is. But speaking poorly or trashing your old employer will make others wonder how you would speak about them.

jenny12
05-26-2010, 10:26 PM
BC, I am so sorry to hear the news, but I wish you the best of luck on your job search. I'm glad to hear you already have applications out.

FiveRinger
05-26-2010, 10:37 PM
BC, I am so sorry that this happened to you. I know that you don't believe me, but I think all of this is a blessing. There is something better for you in the horizon and this gives you a chance to go after it.

The bitterness goes away, but it takes time. Trust and believe, I've been there and done that. For weeks (more realistically, months) I prayed that I would run into my old supervisor on the street so that I could run her over or better yet, get her address and pay someone to kick her ass. But, as you will discover, it's best to put that energy into your job search and the next opportunity.

I wish you the best of luck. PM me if you need the ear of someone who has been there.

Garden Kitty
05-26-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear the outcome as well, BC, but let me add my agreement to the people who recommend not saying anything bad about your company. No potential employer will respect such conversation, or think it reflects well on you. For your own sake, put your energies in finding something new that will make you feel good about going into work.

I know it's hard now, but try not to give a second thought to the other people at work. The only way they "win" is if they are able to impact you or make you worry about them. They're out of your life now, and it seems like you win by getting away from an environment that was destructive to your well being. They're not a part of your world or life anymore ane whatever they discuss should be irrelevant to you.

You know what they say about the best revenge is living well. Take this opportunity to find something that you like, and you'll ultimately be the winner.

Quintuple
05-26-2010, 10:53 PM
BC, so sorry to hear that your company didn't handle it well based on what you shared. Sounds like they didn't research the incident well or have any compassion (not that any company would). It's just awful that some of it sounds fueled by non-protocol cattiness. I'm glad that behind the scenes you were doing everything you could to protect yourself and lay the groundwork for your future. And yes, based on how they behaved, you are better off not working there. Good luck!

mrr50
05-26-2010, 11:30 PM
The less said, the better when it comes to your old company. You will be moving on to better things.

My brother-in-law actually had the best experience with revenge. At his new employment he was given a stack of resumes to go through(this was after a couple year with the new company), in that stack he found a resume sent by his old boss. He was allowed to pitch it into the trash.

Karina1974
05-26-2010, 11:43 PM
As you can tell, I am bitter.

And I hate that those damn bytches have won

I will tell you this: if you stay bitter and don't let this go very soon, those "damn bytches" as you call them, definitely will have won. Do you want to be one of those pathetic people who let something like this define the rest of their lives? Life does go on, and it will continue going on without you if you let it. Focus only on the future and when thoughts about that old job or old co-workers rise up in you, flick them away like bugs off a windshield. Believe me, that feels a whole lot better than sinking into bitterness and resentment. Because that's precisely what resentment is: re-sent thoughts, and the subject(s) of those thoughts sure isn't/aren't getting them; you are, and they will end up wreaking havoc on your state of mind, body and spirit.

and I can only imagine the "did you hear BC got fired" gossip going around.

Why the feck do you, or should you be, caring about that? So they're probably talking about you... so what? They clearly weren't your friends on the job, you don't have to deal with them anymore, so let it go. Now. Same as with your above comments -- if you hang onto this and dwell on it, it will say far more about you and your character than it will ever say about them.

Anita18
05-26-2010, 11:53 PM

Definitely. The people you dislike at the company are NOT the company. They'll probably move on themselves and take whatever bad attitude they had with them.

Plus it's a very very very VERY bad idea to burn any bridges, especially when you've spent such a big part of your working life there. If you couldn't speak well about the company that you worked for for 22 years, what other job experience can you use on your resume?

As for the person who said apparently my boss did not hold me in the regard I held him, apparently so. Although the person who said my initial reaction may have caused the greater problem might be right, I still don't understand why I responded the way that I did. But I still think he would have pushed it. This was simply finally a way that department could get rid of me since they have never liked me, and vice versa. As you can tell, I am bitter. I never wanted to work in that effing department to begin with. I only did to move with my boss at THAT time, and he up and quits 6 months later. If I would have stayed where I was two years ago, this never happens. And I hate that those damn bytches have won and I can only imagine the "did you hear BC got fired" gossip going around.
The gossip doesn't matter. You won't be there to hear it, you'll probably never see any of those people again. So it can't affect you.

Be better than them - don't gossip. Gossip is for people who don't know what else to do with themselves. :)

I'm really sorry to hear that you got fired. Being there for 22 years...that's a long time and it definitely seems like that all that was for naught.

But good riddance, especially if you were unhappy there. A new start means new opportunities, and hopefully a better working environment. :)

Anita18
05-26-2010, 11:54 PM
My brother-in-law actually had the best experience with revenge. At his new employment he was given a stack of resumes to go through(this was after a couple year with the new company), in that stack he found a resume sent by his old boss. He was allowed to pitch it into the trash.
That's the way to do it! :lol: