PDA

View Full Version : Rebuildling trust in a work relationship

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

rvi5
05-23-2010, 12:19 AM
...don't sign anything without first reading and understanding...I once worked for a company which hired a new person from a competitor. The competitor had employees sign an agreement preventing them from working for their competition for a specified number of years. In this case, they had failed to have the person sign the agreement. After our company had hired him, they realized their mistake and asked him to sign the agreement. Unfortunately, he was dumb enough to do it. Once they had his signature, they used the agreement to threaten him into resigning his new job with our company. As Cupid mentioned, you need to know what you are signing if asked.

Certainly your relationship with your boss has been seriously damaged if he has let things go this far. Even if they decide not to fire and instead relocate you to other duties, the work environment will not be comfortable for you re: office gossip etc. You already indicated you are not on friendly terms with other office staff.

Is the laptop they confiscated your property? I would think they need a court order to search it. Perhaps these details are causing delays.

BaileyCatts
05-23-2010, 04:18 AM
Is the laptop they confiscated your property? I would think they need a court order to search it. Perhaps these details are causing delays.

No, it was the company laptop.

A reason maybe they did not call on Friday ... I had previously scheduled to take May 21 as a vacation day way back in March. Although I don't see why that would matter at this point, but maybe they were not allowed to call me since I had previously scheduled that day as vacation? Same reason they did not do anything on May 7 (because I had previously scheduled vacation for May 10-12?) and did not confront me until after I had returned from those days off, versus that Friday after it happened? I had only scheduled those days for appointments, not a vacation, but why would that make a difference at this point?

BigB08822
05-23-2010, 08:44 AM
That did not make a difference, I am sure of it. They just have not made a decision yet.

cholla
05-23-2010, 12:11 PM
That did not make a difference, I am sure of it. They just have not made a decision yet.

And still, you should try looking for another job NOW. The sword of Damocles is hanging over your head, do something, don't passively wait for it to fall. I understand perfectly that you don't want to leave a job and/or a company you've worked 22 years for, that it is a huge part of your life, and that it used to be a comfortable zone of your life, maybe the most comfortable one. But it's not anymore and clearly it will never be again. Make yourself busy, look for another job, try to get in touch with people who could hire you, enlist at a recruiting cabinet, because waiting like you're doing and living in fear is psychologically really unhealthy. You need to rebuild your self-confidence not to destroy it any further. I'm really sorry you have to go through all this and I do feel for you Bailey Catts. But hiding in a corner is not doing you any good. Don't wait til the day you don't have a choice and must make an urgent move. Do it now. It will be much easier I swear. And even if you end up keeping your current job, it will have helped you in becoming a stronger person, or showed you you're stronger than you think. Try to turn all this into something positive, or at least partly positive. Everybody makes mistake, we all do, it's inevitable, we're only human beings. We all experiment a colossal sense of failure at times but we can all learn from it. Raise your head, take a deep breath and move on ! It's something hard to do in these circumstances but it's also worth the try, really !

LadyNit
05-23-2010, 02:56 PM
My advice: If you are determined to stay in your current job, consult an employment attorney, ASAP. You need to know your rights and get advice on how to respond to whatever action / offer the company makes.

Your lawyer will be on your side. The company is only interested in covering their own asses. It is your ass that is hanging out in the wind. Protect it.

canbelto
05-23-2010, 03:55 PM
I agree with everyone. Look for a new job NOW. This is not a company you want to work for long term. One mistake, and all this shit you've had to go through? Do you want to be in a job where the punishment doesn't fit the crime, at all? Think about it.

numbers123
05-23-2010, 04:37 PM
I agree with the people who say look for another job now! If you leave on your own terms and not after they terminate you, you have a much better "reference" than waiting until they decide to let you go. Even as it is, I am not sure that the company would say that you are eligible for re-hire which is typically a question that is asked when verification of previous employment is checked.

And should they terminate your employment - be sure, as suggested by someone else, to read the severance agreement to ensure that you are not limiting your options to work for any competitor. And research unemployment applications to make sure that you file in the prescribed time period, etc.

I agree that your previous vacation time off is not part of the reason that they haven't told you what is going on.

heckles
05-23-2010, 05:44 PM
I would say that this is probably good news. If they were set on firing you then I think they would have done it right away.

I'd say it's likely the opposite, unfortunately. If they had believed they wanted to keep her on, they would have made that decision right away. The delay is probably because they're waiting to hear back from attorneys and other powers regarding severance and other issues. Meanwhile, they're quietly working on filling that slot, advertising in the paper with a blind e-mail address or PO Box. Sorry this sounds gloomy, but it's better to know what's probably happening.

canbelto
05-23-2010, 09:20 PM
As I reread this thread, a couple things are striking:

1. If your relationship with your boss was so good, why would he react this way to what seems like an honest mistake? It seems as if most managers would privately have a stern talk with an employee and leave it at that if valued your employment.

2. Taking away your laptop seems like they suspect you of a way bigger misdeed than the one you've told us of. Are you sure they don't actually suspect you of doing something else?

3. You NEED to find a new job, asap. Signs are not pointing to a company that's willing to give you a second chance.

Eden
05-23-2010, 11:08 PM
I tend to agree that the delay doesn't mean a good thing.
BC, You've mentioned that you worked at this company for many years, which means you've gained some rights and savings.
They are probably trying to find more evidence to accuse you of other things in order to find you guilty of and thus to save themselves money.
LadyNit is right regarding consulting an employment attorney.
Do it before it's too late!
Good Luck!

mmscfdcsu
05-23-2010, 11:11 PM
I tend to agree that the delay doesn't mean a good thing.
BC, You've mentioned that you worked at this company for many years, which means you've gained some rights and savings.
They are probably trying to find more evidence to accuse you of other things in order to find you guilty of and thus to save themselves money.
LadyNit is right regarding consulting an employment attorney.
Do it before it's too late!
Good Luck!

I agree. An attorney is important. They could be doing all kinds of things during this time, including audits. Consult an attorney, get your resume together and start sending it out. Today.

jenny12
05-23-2010, 11:26 PM
I agree. An attorney is important. They could be doing all kinds of things during this time, including audits. Consult an attorney, get your resume together and start sending it out. Today.

Just wanted to add that I agree. The best thing to do for yourself right now (both in terms of your career and yourself personally) is to be proactive. I think the worst feeling is when it seems as though you can only passively wait for things to happen.

GaPeach
05-24-2010, 12:28 AM
It is time to get an attorney to represent your best interest. Waiting for their decision is giving away your power and control. ITA, it is time to become proactive.

My last company scanned our laptops after a possible breach of security. I have to admit it was scary since it was a Russian leak and my laptop was full of Russian articles about and pictures of Peter, Alexei and others.:shuffle:

Norlite
05-24-2010, 04:15 AM
hell I would even take a demotion or a pay cut, I just don't want to lose my job at my company!

I'm very very sorry you feel that desperate. And I sincerely hope you are seriously thinking about the great and generous advice people are offering you in this thread and are using this time to search out alternative job prospects.

Trust in yourself Baileycatts. You are better than this company's treatment of you.

rvi5
05-24-2010, 05:07 AM
A good attorney can ensure your rights are not abused, and perhaps negotiate a good severance package if your employment is terminated.

When my brother's employer decided to restructure, they eliminated many of the management positions. My brother was given a choice...a demotion to a non-management sales position, or severance. He chose to leave the company. According to my brother, he hired an attorney who negotiated a better severance package than what he would have obtain himself. If a company thinks they can manipulate and bully you into a lesser severance, they will try.