PDA

View Full Version : Rebuildling trust in a work relationship

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Karina1974
05-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Speaking of BC, it's now after 6:00 EST. Wasn't her meeting at noon today? This can't bode well, because I'm sure she'd be jumping in here to let us know if the news was good news. :(

talulabell
05-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Actually, I'm kinda hoping the opposite. If it was bad, and she was let go, we would have heard. If she was only disciplined, then she wouldnt risk logging on to FSU, for fear of being watched. [ /wishful thinking ]

Karina1974
05-18-2010, 11:20 PM
Actually, I'm kinda hoping the opposite. If it was bad, and she was let go, we would have heard. If she was only disciplined, then she wouldnt risk logging on to FSU, for fear of being watched. [ /wishful thinking ]

True. I'm used to working at a company where IT has better things to do than spy on co-workers (he also works in Purchasing) who spend time online when we aren't being inundated with calls from customers wanting to buy steel. I myself do my own share of web-surfing, while keeping my ears peeled for the sound of my boss's high heels coming down the hallway so I can knock the browser down to the task bar. :D

Quintuple
05-18-2010, 11:25 PM
I've been thinking of you for days too! We all care!

Aussie Willy
05-18-2010, 11:46 PM
And apparently in such a hurry that they couldn't even spell their user name correctly.
They were actually trying to write NoSymphony but got it wrong.

What a dreadful horrible thing to say. Wishing all the worst of karma on them.

As for BC, my thoughts are with you and really hoping that you get through it. There are many of us who understand what you are going through so you are amongst friends (except for the moron above).

numbers123
05-18-2010, 11:50 PM
I have been wondering about BaileyCatts all day too. And think that there is small chance that she was not fired and therefore unable to tell us until later tonight.

True. I'm used to working at a company where IT has better things to do than spy on co-workers (he also works in Purchasing) who spend time online when we aren't being inundated with calls from customers wanting to buy steel. I myself do my own share of web-surfing, while keeping my ears peeled for the sound of my boss's high heels coming down the hallway so I can knock the browser down to the task bar. :D

I think if you need to be aware of who is looking over your shoulder or walking down the hall so you can hide your web-surfing you know that it is not appropriate for the workplace. But then, I have voiced my opinions/concerns about this practice in the past. And while IT might have too much to do and not monitor employee's computer usage, when it comes down to it, they do have stuff on record and if management has concerns, they can track it.

Lorac
05-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Is there anyway that message from NoSymphathy can be deleted as there is no way BaileyCatts needs to see that - regardless of what has happened today.

I hope BaileyCatts is OK but I'm concerned that no news in this case isn't good!! Please know that even though I haven't posted on this thread I have been following this thread and my thoughts and prayers are with you BC.

genegri
05-18-2010, 11:54 PM
I think those coworkers in her office got a hold of BaileyCatts' laptop and have been doing snooping.

Karina1974
05-19-2010, 12:13 AM
I think if you need to be aware of who is looking over your shoulder or walking down the hall so you can hide your web-surfing you know that it is not appropriate for the workplace. But then, I have voiced my opinions/concerns about this practice in the past. And while IT might have too much to do and not monitor employee's computer usage, when it comes down to it, they do have stuff on record and if management has concerns, they can track it.

Well, then they would have to go after all but a scant few in the office for going online during work hours. See... the company I work for sells steel, both plain cut lengths, and fabrication. If people aren't calling, what do you expect us all to be doing, once the orders are all out in the shop? We don't cold-call people, customers call in to buy stuff. Even the damn sales manager is online when he's done writing up the orders for his customers and has tubed them out to the shop to be cut. You can't create work where there isn't any... some days it's busy and other days it isn't.

I've had days where I'm still working on my own tasks until after 4:00 (the office is open 8:00-5:00), but then there's days like today where there isn't as much for me to do, and I wind up just sitting waiting for the phone to ring from 2:00 to 5:00 (I work reception, plus administrative, PLUS Accounts Receivable), and it's DEAD after 4:00. That's why the majority of people work 8-4:00, and they only keep 3 salespeople on until 5:00, and only one person in fabrication.

WindSpirit
05-19-2010, 12:27 AM
Is there anyway that message from NoSymphathy can be deleted as there is no way BaileyCatts needs to see that - regardless of what has happened today. Too late, as many of you have already replied to it. Plus we delete posts very rarely.

I think those coworkers in her office got a hold of BaileyCatts' laptop and have been doing snooping. Methinks not.

genegri
05-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Methinks not.

No? You don't think NoSymphathy is one of her co-workers? Well, I think it's a very likely explanation.

Anita18
05-19-2010, 12:42 AM
I value pitching in very highly but for the most prestigious jobs, I don’t see that it is about pitching in at all. It is about “will you be good at the job”?

And sometimes that is based just on someone’s perception of your skill level , leadership skills, or some other not so defined factor. For that book anyway, it wasn’t so much about getting a good performance review but how to get to top positions. There are administrative assistants who are GREAT at pitching in and being helpful. But it they aren’t perceived as having the right qualities (leadership, etc.) They are not going to get key promotions to truly move ahead.
Depends on what you want to get out of the job. For my mom, a job was a job - a way to earn some money so she could do the stuff she really liked but wasn't gonna put food on the table. She was a very competent worker who always worked well with people, but when she had to choose between a promotion or a raise, she always opted for the raise. :lol: She already had two kids at home, no need for more responsibility, thank you very much!

And it's common knowledge in PhD circles that you have to be a true egomaniac to be an MD. :lol:

Anita18
05-19-2010, 12:45 AM
No? You don't think NoSymphathy is one of her co-workers? Well, I think it's a very likely explanation.
I don't think her coworkers would bother, especially if she didn't make much of an impression at the company and kept to herself like she said she did. But I've been surprised by the immaturity and cattiness of "adults" before. :lol:

I still think it's MUCH more likely that a random internet person started reading the thread and decided to be a bully to a vulnerable poster.

jenny12
05-19-2010, 12:47 AM
Just writing to post in support of BaileyCatts. I wish you the best. I've been in a position where I felt very uncomfortable/unhappy at work and moving on was the best thing for me. I know that wasn't completely the case for you in that you had a good relationship with your boss while having some troubles with your co-workers. I understand it feels like the end of the world now and I know I felt like I would never get another job, but I was lucky to have people around me to support me and the great majority on this thread only wish the best for you. The best thing to do is just keep going. Please keep us all up-to-date with what's going on, we're here for you.

agalisgv
05-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Sounds more like a pseud to me