PDA

View Full Version : Who medals in 2000 womens Olympic AA if everyone hits

Pages : [1] 2

judgejudy27
05-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Who do you believe medals in the 2000 Olympic AA with everyone hitting. This one is even more interesting to speculate as with the whole vault height controversy, some mild controversy about the floor mat which possibly led to some of the problems there, and the horrible DQ of Raducan we never really saw it play out. I am going to assume the top 4 Russians are all healthy and able to compete even though we know that wasnt the case. I dont want to leave Produnova off the poll though. Pick 3 gymnasts.

judgejudy27
05-09-2010, 04:33 PM
I went with Khorkina, Raducan, and Produnova. In part since I cant stand Zamo's gymnastics or her inflated scores, even though she seems like a sweet girl.

BigB08822
05-10-2010, 03:00 AM
I picked Zamo BECAUSE of her inflated scores. I watched this AA the other day and she got the biggest gift on bars. She wasn't even close to hitting handstands (as matter of fact, few people were, what was up with that?) and still had a really nice score (9.7 I think).

Khorkina, Raducan, Zamo

judgejudy27
05-10-2010, 03:16 AM
Zamo by Sydney just annoyed the heck out of me. Arkaev pulling Khorkina out of vault finals and Produnova out of AA finals for her was the icing on the cake for me. Especialy coming up with those dumb stories of Khorkina giving up her place in vault finals which they probably payed NBC to milk for them, and Produnova being "too injured" but somehow well enough to do event finals. She is one of the few gymnasts I actually cheered to fall (I leapt up with excitment when she fell on her ass on floor when she looked like she was about to win the AA). And that the judges were willing to award her a major floor gold when they never were Produnova who tumbles even better and dances and performs way better really irritates me. Granted she was lucky as heck on floor that Raducan fell, Amanar went OOB, Produnova went OOB in qualifying, Karpenko wasnt in finals, etc...

I agree her bars score was outrageous. Why was she scoring higher than her teammate Lobaznyuk who while not spectacular is far better than her on that apparatus. Why people complained about the Romanian scores on bars (which were actually more than appropriately harsh) and none about Zamo's which was arguably even worse but scored much higher is beyond me.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
05-10-2010, 03:36 AM
Karpenko, Produnova, and Khorkina

asdf334
05-10-2010, 03:39 AM
Zamo by Sydney just annoyed the heck out of me. Arkaev pulling Khorkina out of vault finals and Produnova out of AA finals for her was the icing on the cake for me. Especialy coming up with those dumb stories of Khorkina giving up her place in vault finals which they probably payed NBC to milk for them, and Produnova being "too injured" but somehow well enough to do event finals.

Khorkina sitting out vault finals was a total no-brainer since she really didn't have a good chance at a medal. At the time, she didn't have two vaults with high start values under event final rules. You needed vaults from different groups, which she didn't have. (The round off 1/2-ons didn't become separate from Yurchenkos until 2001.)

LKR
05-10-2010, 03:39 AM
Khorkina, Zamo, Raducan

bardtoob
05-10-2010, 09:25 AM
I know every name on the list, but I still feel like saying,

"Who were these gymnasts?"

"What competition was this?"

vesperholly
05-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Zamo ... And that the judges were willing to award her a major floor gold when they never were Produnova who tumbles even better and dances and performs way better really irritates me.

I was with you until you said Produnova has better dance than Zamo.

Poor underrated Lobaz! I was so happy when she medaled on both vault and beam EF. Too bad she didn't make floor EF, she had a great routine. The 2000 Russian team was insanely deep.

judgejudy27
05-10-2010, 05:49 PM
I was with you until you said Produnova has better dance than Zamo.

Poor underrated Lobaz! I was so happy when she medaled on both vault and beam EF. Too bad she didn't make floor EF, she had a great routine. The 2000 Russian team was insanely deep.

I wish Lobaznyuk and Produnova had been the two in floor finals instead of Khorkina and Zamo. If Produnova doesnt have better dance than Zamo she for sure has much better presentation IMO.

Braulio
05-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Khorkina, Raducan and Karpenko would have been my dream podium

briancoogaert
05-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Khorkina, Lobazniuk and Raducan !

I'm the only one going with Ekaterina Lobazniuk, but she is the best thing gymnastic has had since Tatiana Gutsu !
So beautiful, fresh, light, elegant. I loved her and I'm very sad she had such a short career.

Quintuple
05-13-2010, 06:16 AM
If I were a judge, and everyone hit, it would have been:

Gold - Yang Yun
Silver - Lobaznyuk
Bronze - Khorkina (or Raducan)

But if the question is purely about had everyone hit and we had the same judges, it might have been:

Gold - Khorkina
Silver - Zamo
Bronze - Raducan (or Karpenko)

I know Yang Yun seems far-fetched in terms of reputation, she was very close without the fall off beam. But I bet the judges would bury her if everyone else hit.

The reason I put Yang Yun first in my own judging opinion is because I'm going through each of the routines in my head, and she has the best four routines and execution in my mind. Bars is obvious; her beam set itself was the best of the competition in my mind; her vault execution was perfect (I always thought she was underscored there); and her floor is absolutely the best in the entire competition.

The judges would definitely have had Khorkina take home gold. But I felt her vault, beam, and floor, while it might be difficult to deduct from, suffered from power/amplitude in execution (though not form, so much).

I agree that Zamo was overscored on bars (and beam), but I bet the judges would have had her up there. I can't really pick apart Raducan except for not-stellar bars, so who knows, the judges may still have given her gold. I didn't like Karpenko's vault at all. Produnova was just "heavy" or "muscled" (as in laborious) the entire competition, so even if she had good form and landings, she might not have been right at the top. Lobaznyuk I agree was totally underrated.

If everyone hit, unfortunately I think Amanar would be out of it. Same with the rest!

Anyway, I still hold on to the opinion that Yang Yun was potentially the best gymnast at the 2000 games.

judgejudy27
05-13-2010, 05:28 PM
These are my rough average scores I think the judges would have come up with each doing their best:

Khorkina- Vault 9.75, Bars 9.850, Beam 9.75, Floor 9.80. Total 39.150
Raducan- Vault 9.75, Bars 9.60, Beam 9.875, Floor 9.825. Total- 39.050
Zamo- Vault 9.80, Bars 9.725, Beam 9.70, Floor 9.825. Total- 39.050
Produnova- Vault 9.60, Bars 9.80, Beam 9.80, Floor 9.825- 39.025
Karpenko- Vault 9.55, Bars 9.80, Beam 9.80, Floor 9.825- 38.975
Yung- Vault 9.65, Bars 9.80, Beam 9.80, Floor 9.70- 38.950
Lobaznyuk- Vault 9.70, Bars 9.65, Beam 9.80, Floor 9.75- 38.900
Olaru- Vault 9.65, Bars 9.60, Beam 9.775, Floor 9.725- 38.750
Amanar- Vault 9.65, Bars 9.50, Beam 9.75, Floor 9.825- 38.725
Moya- Vault 9.75, Bars 9.55, Beam 9.70, Floor 9.70- 38.700
Xuan- Vault 9.40, Bars 9.80, Beam 9.80, Floor 9.60- 38.600
Ray- Vault 9.50, Bars 9.75, Beam 9.60, Floor 9.70- 38.550
Chow- Vault 9.45, Bars 9.75, Beam 9.70, Floor 9.65- 38.550
Maloney- Vault 9.55, Bars 9.60, Beam 9.55, Floor 9.70- 38.400

judgejudy27
05-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Oh and here is that horrid bars routine from Zamo which was gifted a 9.725:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQgEgp0_WqM

Blech what a fugly mess, and what a sham of a score. It really annoyed me the NBC crew whined about the Romanians scores on bars which were actually all from 9.50-9.60 which is low end for a top gymnast anyway, and said nothing about the inflated bar scores of many of the Russians, especialy Zamo. The NBC crew seemed to be excessively pimping the Russians during Sydney for some reason, especialy as they are usually the reverse.

I would give this a 9.20 probably. It looks like the kind of bar routine you would see form Annia Hatch.