PDA

View Full Version : Lesley Reynolds

penybrec
05-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Have just heard a rumour that Lesley Reynolds will not be writing for Ice Skate magazine anymore. That's a real shame as I liked her honesty and valued her experience:(

miffy
05-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Lesley will definitely be missed. :(

mella
05-08-2010, 09:59 PM
That is a shame :( .... I enjoyed reading her thoughts

lovetheice
05-09-2010, 12:44 PM
just another drop in the standards of ice skate. Don't think i will bother renewing my subscription. I enjoyed lesleys honesty too, either in print or in person.

Skateophile
05-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Yes, it's me - I do lurk on these boards but haven't posted much. Thank you for your kind words. I have always tried to be fair and honest and write on the side of the skaters, all of whom I respect enormously. The reason I quit the magazine was because the editorial interference/re-writing was so intrusive that there was no enjoyment left any more. The issue which has just appeared will be my last. I will still be watching and cheering on our hard-working skaters, never fear - and if any other opportunity arises, who knows?

I'll still try to work to secure a better deal for the skating fans too - always bottom of the heap despite being the ones who pay for the tickets! Doing my best to make sure Sheffield Euros 2012 will be a fan-friendly experience.

Lesley Reynolds

iceconcern
05-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Interesting post from Lesley and not unsurprising. The conflicts behind the scenes at the magazine would make any self respecting journalist think twice. The mag is published by Ice Media Productions which is wholly owned by the finance director of NISA. The son of the NISA commercial director is the mags art director and before the latest editor the acting editor was the managing director of IMP. According to the latest NISA accounts, NISA paid IMP over 71,000 last year for services including running the NISA website. Wouldnt be surprised if NISA proof read every issue as well!

miffy
05-09-2010, 10:23 PM
If NISA got to proofread every issue quite a bit of the stuff that is printed would get pulled. ;)

Powder
05-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Interesting post from Lesley and not unsurprising. The conflicts behind the scenes at the magazine would make any self respecting journalist think twice. The mag is published by Ice Media Productions which is wholly owned by the finance director of NISA. The son of the NISA commercial director is the mags art director and before the latest editor the acting editor was the managing director of IMP. According to the latest NISA accounts, NISA paid IMP over 71,000 last year for services including running the NISA website. Wouldnt be surprised if NISA proof read every issue as well!

I'm rather disappointed Lesley felt the need to post this. I don't know exactly what went on as i dont work with her but this is anything but professional. What conflicts exactly? I love working with Linda she is very good at her job. Just what exactly my Dad has to do with my job (again) is beyond me! But hey iceconcern, have you heard the conspiracy theory about the moon being put there by aliens? Its funny its exactly the same size as our sun from our perspective don't you think? The chances of that are almost impossible for it to be a natural occurrence! You should check it out, I think that kind of nonsense would be right up your street.

DanceDanceDance
05-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Yes, it's me - I do lurk on these boards but haven't posted much. Thank you for your kind words. I have always tried to be fair and honest and write on the side of the skaters, all of whom I respect enormously. The reason I quit the magazine was because the editorial interference/re-writing was so intrusive that there was no enjoyment left any more. The issue which has just appeared will be my last. I will still be watching and cheering on our hard-working skaters, never fear - and if any other opportunity arises, who knows?

I'll still try to work to secure a better deal for the skating fans too - always bottom of the heap despite being the ones who pay for the tickets! Doing my best to make sure Sheffield Euros 2012 will be a fan-friendly experience.

Lesley Reynolds

Lesley, I agree that your contributions to iSKATE will be missed, but I am very glad that you will continue to be involved in some way at least.

Rest of post snipped by Admin

Willowway
05-24-2010, 04:18 PM
The reason I quit the magazine was because the editorial interference/re-writing was so intrusive that there was no enjoyment left any more.

I don't know anything about the politics of this situation but Lesley's one sentence explanation is totally professional. LR was specific about the nature of the professional problem and its effect without getting into individual personalities/personal conflict. That's a real pro in my book! And yes, skating journalism needs more people like Lesley, not fewer.

Powder
05-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Alleged? No I fully admit I pulled that article because I was told to by my employer. In the Professional way most people do their jobs. If you have one? Do you think I really care about your politics?? haha NOPE!

And yes in my opinion it is unprofessional to go on to a forum and post about it. Particularly as everybody in British Ice Skating will be reading it. Surely you can all text each other or something? Lesley will be missed and I think it's a real shame and loss for the magazine I really do. But life goes on and you have to deal with it and move on. It's probably something you should do if you've still got hang ups about something which happened last July.

Willowway
05-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Powder - I think both your tone (condescending, combative) and your efforts here indicate very clearly what the broader problem might be. You are simply illustrating it, not counteracting it.

skatefriend
05-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Powder - I think both your tone (condescending, combative) and your efforts here indicate very clearly what the broader problem might be. You are simply illustrating it, not counteracting it.

ITA with the above. The aggressive tone and unprofessional comments by Powder further emphasise the remarks made against iskate magazine by others. I personally have no knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes at the magazine, but from Powder's comments, I've got a pretty good idea!

Well done Powder, you've demonstrated just what kind of an organisation you're part of.

SHARPIE
05-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Another closed British Thread.....