PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody worked on a cruise ship?

Pages : 1 [2]

El Rey
05-14-2010, 05:16 PM
i haven't worked on a cruise ship but had friends who did. Apparently there's a hierarchy for the crew. One friend was a musician and he loved it because he didn't have to work too many hours. He said the only people who worked less were the singers. I imagine as a non-service employee you will probably have a better time than say a houskeeper or waiter.

barbk
05-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Been on a number of cruises; but never worked on one. Is your position one that receives tips, or is your compensation fully paid by the cruiseline? Is your position one where you are allowed to spend your recreation time in passenger areas, or not? Are your meals to be taken in crew dining or may you use the passenger buffets, for example. What additional duties might be assigned? (Many of the people we've met have had additional duties, particularly the entertainers -- running the library,...)

The other thing you should know is that if your ship gets Noro Virus and goes to Code Red status, pretty much every staff member on the ship is assigned additional work -- wiping down railings, cleaning tables, dispensing salt & pepper so that passengers never touch the containers,...days off get canceled, and when I mean pretty much everybody that even included entertainers. Luckily it doesn't happen too often, but when it does it is kind of ugly.

I think it would be a great experience for a half a year -- you'd pack a lot of living in. I hope you can tell us the line and the ship if you get the job.

Good luck!

Bonita
05-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Those books look like great reads, Rex, thanks! I just ordered the Bruns one through my library on line. I have never taken a cruise or intend to work for one, but I find the whole subject fascinating. And the only reason I've never taken a cruise is I'm afraid I would gain about 1,000 pounds and become an alcoholic! Lead me not to temptation!

Rex
05-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Those books look like great reads, Rex, thanks! I just ordered the Bruns one through my library on line. I have never taken a cruise or intend to work for one, but I find the whole subject fascinating. And the only reason I've never taken a cruise is I'm afraid I would gain about 1,000 pounds and become an alcoholic! Lead me not to temptation!

Once you get past Bruns' congenital douchebaggery, it's a pretty interesting book.