PDA

View Full Version : The Bachelorette--Season 6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30

Bostonfan
07-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Chris mentions his mother way too often to not have some serious issues.

These conversations are actually hours that are edited down to mere minutes for viewers. So it may seem like that's all he's about because of the angle the producers choose to show. Of course Ali is so vain, that she probably doesn't like any woman being mentioned on a regular basis, even dead mothers. I don't get that he has serious issues AT ALL. It's the normal process when you lose a loved one.

*Jen*
07-21-2010, 01:24 PM
These conversations are actually hours that are edited down to mere minutes for viewers. So it may seem like that's all he's about because of the angle the producers choose to show. Of course Ali is so vain, that she probably doesn't like any woman being mentioned on a regular basis, even dead mothers. I don't get that he has serious issues AT ALL. It's the normal process when you lose a loved one.

Many of my friends have lost loved ones and would mention it less in a month than that guy does in an hour. Yes, it's edited, but count the mommy references in last night's episode. There are way too many of them.

I refer back to Jenny's excellent post about "Rebecca" and agree with her.

Jenny
07-21-2010, 03:09 PM
And there's the TATTOO!

Catherine M
07-21-2010, 05:28 PM
And there's the TATTOO!

:lol:

The blogger on EW's site has been in love with Cape Cod Chris and his tattoo all season long and she's pushing for him to be the Bachelor--if he's available:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/07/20/bachelorette-chris-l/

Knowing that Chris wasn't picked and is the #1 choice of Fleiss and Chris Harrison, I'd say there is a good shot that his tattoo will be on our TV screens alot come January!!!

Jenny
07-21-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm just amazed that I seem to be the only one who has a problem with the idea of seeing my dead MIL's gigantic signature every time my husband took his shirt off, or I wanted to check out his buns, or give him a backrub. Gross.

haribobo
07-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Yes, Jenny, you are the only one. Nobody has ever mentioned it before in this thread or anywhere else! :P

I think its a little strange for sure but you know, who really cares. The guy is hot and nice. He could have a huge tattoo of the devil on his back, I'd still hit that. As long as there's not a face tattoo, I'm good!:)

Cruella
07-21-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm just amazed that I seem to be the only one who has a problem with the idea of seeing my dead MIL's gigantic signature every time my husband took his shirt off, or I wanted to check out his buns, or give him a backrub. Gross.

Could it be that you're projecting some of your own MIL issues? ;)

Jenny
07-21-2010, 06:16 PM
I think its a little strange for sure but you know, who really cares. The guy is hot and nice. He could have a huge tattoo of the devil on his back, I'd still hit that. As long as there's not a face tattoo, I'm good!:)

My husband actually does have a tattoo, and I think it's hot - but it's a harmless scorpion. ;)

The woman annoys me at times, but I wouldn't say I have any major issues.

But if her signature suddenly appeared wound around my husband's body in giant script, you can bet I'd have issues with that, and not just with her. :lol:

*Jen*
07-21-2010, 06:26 PM

You're not. My roommate and I are also creeped out by the tattoo, as is everyone else I know who is crazy enough to watch the show. The only people I've heard defending it are in this thread :P

Yes, Jenny, you are the only one. Nobody has ever mentioned it before in this thread or anywhere else! :P

That's a fairly narrow definition of no one then, since my friends and I all find it odd. I wouldn't go anywhere near a guy with a huge devil tat on his back either. I hate tattoos in general, but there are few I'd find so strange as to be a turn off. Anything relating to his mother or the devil would both fit into that category :P

If he had to get a memento, couldn't he have got her favourite animal or some other symbol? Her signature is only a small step up from a picture, and I wouldn't want to see that either.

I can't answer for Jenny, but as I agree with her in every other aspect about this so I'll answer for myself. I don't have a MIL. Neither does my roommate or co-worker. We all firmly agree that we wouldn't want ANY reminder of our lover's mother, dead or otherwise, anywhere on his body.

Maybe it's a cultural thing. We're outside the US and are perhaps missing the obsession with America's favourite smalltown boy, but seriously? A lot of people find the tattoo and the constant, CONSTANT talk of mommy just a little too much to bear. I honestly think he's playing the "oh poor me, I'm bereaved" card for brownie points because the people I know who are grieving don't want to talk about it, don't want people to know and feel sorry for them, and don't mention their loss in every conversation.

Rafter
07-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Jen, you do realize, don't you, that this show is edited and scripted to the hilt? Which means that of hours and hours of interviews and footage with Chris, what we see is just *minutes* per episode. The editors/producers show only those clips/interviews they want us to see. And we are clearly getting the Dead Mother Edit with Chris.

I agree the tat is a bit creepy, but overall I think Chris seems like a nice guy(not to mention hot). I do think he seems on the verge of tears though every time he starts talking (about mother or otherwise). He is clearly still mourning the loss of his mother and seems to be dealing with it harder than his brothers (at least from what we saw of his brothers). His sisters-in-law seemed really nice and normal. One little thing that bugs me about him is his constant use of "like" in his sentences. He's like a Cape Cod Valley Girl.

I also doubt he'd ever leave Cape Cod and his tight-knit family, which would have to raise some red flags for Ali.

ETA: It's been quite clear now from the last few episodes that it was all about Frank for Ali, so I think Chris and Roberto are doomed. She could barely fake happiness through this last rose ceremony. I personally found Frank very weird and neurotic and his smile reminded me a lot of Jason Mesnick which really creeped me out.

*Jen*
07-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Jen, you do realize, don't you, that this show is edited and scripted to the hilt? Which means that of hours and hours of interviews and footage with Chris, what we see is just *minutes* per episode. The editors/producers show only those clips/interviews they want us to see. And we are clearly getting the Dead Mother Edit with Chris.

Yes, I know it is edited, but like I said in one of my previous posts, even if it is over several hours of conversation, he still mentions his mother more times per episode than my best friend mentions her late father per month - probably even per year.

It's edited, but IMO chances are they're showing it so often because he's talking about it so much, and he talks about it a lot during the narrative interview bit as well, which isn't edited from hours of conversations.

heckles
07-21-2010, 07:12 PM
What would need to happen for me (assuming for a moment that I was single ;)) is for us to live very far away from his family. Sure, Thanksgiving and Christmas would probably be nice there, and you'd have to put up with him on the phone to his family all the time, but I do think that away from all the memories you could build a good life with him.

The book Toxic In-Laws has a list of myths about sucky in-laws, one of the biggest myths being that if you can get your husband geographically away from his lame family, they won't have much effect. Not sure what the problem people have with his dead mother though. Better to have your MIL in heaven or hell, than have the MIL from hell.

Jenny
07-21-2010, 07:53 PM
It's edited, but IMO chances are they're showing it so often because he's talking about it so much, and he talks about it a lot during the narrative interview bit as well, which isn't edited from hours of conversations.

Agree. Remembering my first date with future hubby many moons ago, he actually did mention is mother *once* which I thought was a good sign of family/respect etc, but I was on alert from there to make sure she wasn't a dominant force in his - and therefore my future - life.

It all turned out rather well though - although my MIL does annoy me from time to time, so do most people :P. She and I get along, and we see them just the right amount (in fact it's usually me who suggests to hubby that we need to see his parents or he should call his mother, and I'm the one that remembers their birthdays).

mikemba
07-21-2010, 08:13 PM

You're not the only one! I really like Chris, but that tattoo just creeps me out.

BTW, the other thing about him that has seemed really, really weird to me is how extremely underdressed he was for many of the rose ceremonies this season. I would have serious reservations about a man who showed up in jeans, an untucked-in shirt and sneakers to several of the rose cermonies. (This last one was an exception, of course. It ws clear that Ali,Chris, and Roberto were all instructed to dress casually and I though they all looked cute).

If he couldn't manage to wear a suit and tie for cocktail parties -- especially when they were on TV, and when he was grossly underdressed compared to both Ali and the other men -- when the heck would he wear a suit?

Jenny
07-21-2010, 08:21 PM
when the heck would he wear a suit?

Only when his mother dies. Maybe when his father dies, in remembrance of his mother.