PDA

View Full Version : TV Shows Cancelled, Renewed, and New - US Network TV Upfronts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

Jenny
05-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Just read that Cold Case, Numb3rs, Miami Medical, Accidentally, Christine, Gary, Ghost Whisperer are all likely Canceled...though officially that won't be announced until tomorrow

Really? Gary Unmarried really faltered in its second season after a complete revamp that didn't really work IMO, so not a surprise. Paula Marshall could do far better.

But I thought The New Adventures of Old Christine was quite successful (and has been improving with each season IMO).

I also thought that Accidentally on Purpose was strong for a new show - well drawn characters, good premise, good writing. Hope it's not canceled already.

ETA - it's all true - http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/05/cbs-cancels-cold-case-numbers-miami-medical.html

love skating
05-18-2010, 07:14 PM
CBS renewed Medium.

Yay! :)

Chris_E
05-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Ghost whisperer getting cancelled seems weird to me. When I was following Friday ratings earlier in the year it had some of the best Friday numbers ever. It must be about money. CBS don't have great demo numbers and Fridays are a week day on whole.

Rumors suggest that they renewed Medium because its produced entirely by CBS and cancelled GW because its produced in conjunction with ABC which ultimately means less $ in the pockets of CBS.

genevieve
05-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Aw, I'm sorry to see my favorite guilty pleasure show Ghost Whisperer gone :( And I'm surprised about Old Christine - good show, at least one Emmy for Julia Louis-Dryfus, solid night of comedy - but on ew.com they siad there's a 50/50 chance that ABC might pick it up.

No surprise about venerable shows that didn't have much new territory to cover (Cold Case, NUMB3RS), and I don't know how Gary Unmarried and especially Accidentally on Purpose even made it through their first seasons.

Glad Medium survived though! :cheer2:

KikiSashaFan
05-18-2010, 08:26 PM
I heard that if New Christine is cancelled by CBS (I think?), then it may be moving to ABC or NBC.

jeffisjeff
05-18-2010, 08:37 PM
They had a free slot to fill between the 8pm rerun of L&O and the 10pm rerun of L&O.

:lol:

Jenny
05-18-2010, 08:41 PM
No surprise about venerable shows that didn't have much new territory to cover (Cold Case, NUMB3RS), and I don't know how Gary Unmarried and especially Accidentally on Purpose even made it through their first seasons.

I can tell you what happened to Gary Unmarried (at least from this viewer's POV) - for some reason, they totally revamped the show in season 2. Gary suddenly had a new job, new best friend and whole new set of coworkers. They attempted to replace his ex-wife with similar-but-not-quite character as his girlfriend, reducing Paula Marshall's screen time when she and her chemistry with Gary was one of the best things about the show. They also rewrote one of the children, changing him from a smart ass to an airhead, who knows why. I enjoyed the first season, gave up on the second.

As for Accidentally on Purpose, I see where it was helped by its initial slot between How I Met Your Mother and Two and a Half Men - but is it any surprise that ratings dropped when they put it on hiatus for months, then quietly put it on another night, after another show they've just canceled? Honestly I thought the characters on that show were really well drawn, and I'm going to miss it.

Funny thing is, they've picked up Rules of Engagement, a mid-season starter for several years now that has always benefited from the same timeslot that Accidentally on Purpose had, so how do they know it can stand up on its own?

I'm not a network executive, but I've never understood the strategy of moving shows to different timeslots, doing a poor job of letting fans know, and then being surprised when they lose viewers. Or of putting shows on hiatus for months, and expecting viewers to stay loyal after such a long break, and without knowing when, if or where they might return.

KikiSashaFan
05-18-2010, 08:42 PM
How the feck is One Tree Hill not cancelled? :huh:

Karina1974
05-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Law and Order's last show will be May 24th. 20 years, they join only a few primetime shows with that honor. Bonanza being one.

Bonanza was on the air from 1959 to 1973. Perchance are you thinking of Gunsmoke (1955-1975)?

shan
05-19-2010, 03:56 AM
How the feck is One Tree Hill not cancelled? :huh:

Wow, I thought this show had been cancelled several years ago....

Albee
05-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Mercy & Trama done according to TV.com
http://www.tv.com/mercy/show/76649/mercy-canceled./topic/93205-1897849/msgs.html?tag=fresh_forums;topic_title;0

And The Forgotten seems to be finished although they say Hiatus.

numbers123
05-20-2010, 11:58 PM
I can tell you my theory of numbers123 liking or getting invested in a show = a higher than expected level of cancelled shows. And if I dislike a show, it is likely to survive beyond any expectation (i.e. L&O).

I'll stick to watching NFL football, college football, NBA and college basketball. If I wait a few more years to get invested in the WNBA, those ratings might take off big time.

Albee
05-21-2010, 01:45 AM
Fox picked up Human Target! Wheeeeeee, love this show

Buzz
05-21-2010, 02:00 AM
Oh lord! Tell me tonight episode of Flashforward is not the end of the show! Tell me their is going to be a movie or mini series to tie up the loose ends. :(

HeatherC
05-21-2010, 02:07 AM
Oh lord! Tell me tonight episode of Flashforward is not the end of the show! Tell me their is going to be a movie or mini series to tie up the loose ends. :(

The season finale is next week so you have at least one more week of Flashfoward. :)