PDA

View Full Version : Who medals in 96 womens AA with everyone hitting

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

judgejudy27
05-15-2010, 01:01 AM
I remember being stunned that Kerri went last for the U.S on compulsory floor and event more stunned when the judges went along with that and gave her the highest U.S score by half a tenth (Miller was the 2nd highest U.S score). The compulsory floor routine was more of a dancy and balletic routine and yet Kerri thudding around the floor and doing those ungraceful leg lifts and pivots somehow getting the 2nd highest compulsory floor score of anyone (behind Lilia). Compulsory vault I could see her as anchor and getting the highest U.S score, but compulsory floor!? Then in optional floor it was pretty funny when Moceanu and Dawes were put in the middle of the lineup and still got 9.837 for Moceanu and 9.850 for Dawes, and Strug went last up and could only get a 9.837. Dawes should have been the anchor in optional floor for sure, and if she had I bet her score would have been alot higher than Strug's. Miller should have been the anchor for compulsory floor. She didnt have the tumbling power or personality to be a great optional floor worker by 96 standards but the compulsory floor routine was perfect for her.

I would have actually left her off beam altogether if I were the U.S coach. Especialy compulsory beam.

BigB08822
05-15-2010, 02:45 AM
I think they only left Kerri on optional beam because Chow had so much difficulty and therefore a much higher chance of falling. Kerri was atrocious but would stay on beam. I haven't ever seen Chow's compulsory beam, or if I have I don't recall, but she probably wasn't so good. The poor thing has no presentation whatsoever and she probably looked completely awkward up there. I'm going to have to see if I can find a video anywhere. I miss compulsories. :wuzrobbed

I came across this video of Shannon's beam gold medal routine. I have never seen it from this angle, and no commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3UO-DknYgc&feature=related

judgejudy27
05-15-2010, 06:42 AM
Yeah back in 96 Chow's form outside of bars was almost as bad as Strug's, and her actual presentation was even worse (I was not surprised at all she was left off floor where she showed zero personality or flair then even when she actually tried to). Still I much prefered watching her on beam than Strug since she actually threw exciting things rather than Strug who didnt even have any great or interesting skills in her routine ugly than her ghastly performed 4 tumbling series. I agree she was probably left off beam since she was so inconsistent though, and you couldnt afford putting someone who was a decent risk to fall. 96 Nationals AA was about the only time I saw Strug actual fall on beam.

Chow's compulsory beam at the Trials was better than anything I have seen from Strug actually but Chow herself wasnt any masters of compulsories and much better at optionals.

It is interesting to compare Strug's scores (in the context of the very high scoring at those Worlds) at the 95 Worlds when coached by relative unknowns the Forresters while competing on foreign turf to what she was getting on U.S soil coached again by Bela Karolyi. I am almost relieved she couldnt compete in the AA as with the scores she was getting and all the mistakes that night there is a decent chance she would have medaled.

VIETgrlTerifa
05-15-2010, 06:47 AM
I think it was also wise to leave Amy Chow off of the FX since her optional FX music was to "Dixie". That may have caused some controversy though the idea of seeing a teenaged Asian girl from California with no real dance/performance talent perform a routine set to a song about the good ol' days of the South before the Civil War at one of the most watched Olympics ever would've been a funny sight to see.

Loves_Shizuka
05-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Sigh. All this talk reminds how sad I was the night of AA (I was 8 years old but already very emotionally attached lol) The mistakes by Dawes and Huilan LITERALLY made me cry. :(

briancoogaert
05-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Sigh. All this talk reminds how sad I was the night of AA (I was 8 years old but already very emotionally attached lol) The mistakes by Dawes and Huilan LITERALLY made me cry. :(
LOL, I watched it live on TV and was very, very happy with the results !
This competition was so interesting with Shannon Miller in 1st after two events. Kochetkova and Mo also in the top 3. So much pressure and the final results were not at all the same !
Sad for Khorkina, never in contention.

VIETgrlTerifa
05-22-2010, 06:22 PM
You actually like Simona Amanar, a dead-eyed Gina Gogean, and a past-her-prime-can't-afford-a-bra Lilo Milosoveci making the podium?

Not to be snarky, but yikes.

judgejudy27
05-22-2010, 06:29 PM
I wouldnt have minded Amanar. She was young, fresh, and exciting her own way back then. Her double yurchenko was the best vault I had ever seen by a women at that point. Her floor tumbling was amazing, the best in the World probably. Not only powerful but impeccable form and technique. Her bars was pretty good then actually, the best of the Romanians. Even with her crummy dance on floor and beam I liked her gymnastics. It was a shame she didnt perform her best that night she got a silly deduction for not doing a double turn on floor. Actually my prefered AA podium probably would have been some combination of Mo, Lilia, Dawes, Kochetkova, or Amanar.

Gogean less excited about. Milo I definitely didnt want on the AA podium at those Olympics. She was way past her prime.

VIETgrlTerifa
05-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't have minded Amanar that much either. I just keep remembering how boring she was in 2000, but that has nothing to do with the way she was in 1996.

Dr.Siouxs
05-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Not to be snarky, but yikes.

Yikes indeed. :yikes: Pod was the queen of Atlanta. I would have loved Mo for silver and Dawes or Dina for bronze.

judgejudy27
05-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't have minded Amanar that much either. I just keep remembering how boring she was in 2000, but that has nothing to do with the way she was in 1996.

I find all the Romanians got worse as the years went on. I actually liked Milo and Gogean back in 92, even 93 and 94 somewhat. By 96 I couldnt stand them. Amanar by 99 and 2000 was just a fridge break for me. Her form was much worse, her tumbling didnt stand out as much anymore, and her bars was a horrid mess by then, and she didnt have any intangible appeal anymore that she had a bit of when younger. Bontas was ok in the late 80s when she first emerged, but by 92 I was glad to see her surprisingly overthrown as the top Romanian by Milo during the competition. I suspect alot of it is coaching, but then again if you dont get coached by Bela full time you get blacklisted by him like Marinescu was.

VIETgrlTerifa
05-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Shame because the Romanians were truly one of the bests in all the areas (dance, form, difficulty, creativity, etc.) of gymnastics prior the take over by Belu and Bitang.

vesperholly
05-23-2010, 08:08 PM

I really liked her in 96. By the time 2000 rolled around, she was everything detestable about Romanian gymnastics.

judgejudy27
05-23-2010, 08:17 PM
One amazing thing to realize about Romanian gymnasts is the only two to win a World AA title are Maria Olaru and that flash in the pan Aurelia Dobre. That is just amazing. Commaneci couldnt do it, Eberle couldnt, Szabo couldnt, Daniela Silivas couldnt, Bontas couldnt, Milosovici couldnt, Gogean couldnt, Amanar couldnt, Raducan couldnt, Ponar couldnt. Yet Olaru actually did. Hard to fathom.

vesperholly
05-24-2010, 01:10 PM
One amazing thing to realize about Romanian gymnasts is the only two to win a World AA title are Maria Olaru and that flash in the pan Aurelia Dobre. That is just amazing. Commaneci couldnt do it, Eberle couldnt, Szabo couldnt, Daniela Silivas couldnt, Bontas couldnt, Milosovici couldnt, Gogean couldnt, Amanar couldnt, Raducan couldnt, Ponar couldnt. Yet Olaru actually did. Hard to fathom.

In 76 years, the World AA title has only been awarded 28 times. Starting in 1934, Worlds was every 4 years, then in 1979 it went to every other year (odds). For example, though Comaneci medaled at two Olympics, only two World AA events (78, 79) were competed during her career. It gets really confusing in 96 because Podkopayeva was the reigning - 1995 - AA champ but Kotchetkova was the reigning - 1996 - beam champ. I used to wonder if the Ukrainian mafia had the 96 AA champ disappeared :lol: :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Artistic_Gymnastics_Championships_-_Women's_individual_all-around