PDA

View Full Version : Who medals in 96 womens AA with everyone hitting

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

VIETgrlTerifa
05-07-2010, 06:37 PM
On another note if Podkopayeva and little Mo had hit all their routines cold I would have been slightly dissapointed if Lilia had won. I know by results she was considered the top gymnast at the time but Mo at her best is the slightly better all around gymast IMO. The only even Lilia is better than a completley "on" Mo is floor, granted she is much better on floor, but I would still give it to Huilan in that scenario.

Although I found Mo Huilan's FX choroegraphy a stepback in Atlanta (from what she was doing in the past two seasons), I was never too crazy about Podkopayeva's Optional FX either. I always thought all of her FX choreography was pretty much beneath her and pretty ridiculous at times. It was her FX compulsories that made you :swoon: As for as tumbling, I love LiliaPod's opening pass (as does everyone else I think) but I hated how this code made gymnasts do these lame watered-down front tumbling passes that were less than...exciting. I slightly preferred Huilan's set.

I'm biased though because Mo Huilan was my favorite gymnast of that quad.

judgejudy27
05-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Well Mo's floor choreography in 1996 was cheesy, she isnt anywhere near the dancer on floor that Lilia is, and her tumbling was nowhere near as powerful or clean as Lilia's. I agree that overall her tumbling passes were probably harder even with Lilia's incredibly had first pass.

VIETgrlTerifa
05-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Well Mo's floor choreography in 1996 was cheesy, she isnt anywhere near the dancer on floor that Lilia is.

I'm not disagreeing with that, but I found LiliaPod's FX choreography to be way beneath her standards. I found that a bit more noticeable from her than from Huilan who was capable of great presentation but isn't the dancer LiliaPod is.

judgejudy27
05-07-2010, 07:12 PM
My favorite floor routine of Lilia's was her 1994 one. If she were a big name she would have been getting 9.9+ on floor everytime out then IMO. I also really liked her 95 one. I loved Mo's floor routine in 94-95 but hated her 96 one.

briancoogaert
05-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Very difficult to say.
Mo Huilan and Dina Kochetkova were probably the finest gym at this time. But Lilia Podkopaieva was clearly the best.
My vote goes to : Lilia Podkopaieva, Svetlana Khorkina and Mo Huilan. With a special mention to Dina Kochetkova and Dominique Dawes.

VIETgrlTerifa
05-08-2010, 06:55 PM
I don't know if LiliaPod was clearly the best. When it came to Beam, UB, and VT, I thought Mo was clearly better. Don't get me wrong, though, I am extremely happy she was the 1996 Olympic AA champ because LiliaPod is probably the best Olympic AAer we had until Nastia Liukin graced the top of the podium.

judgejudy27
05-08-2010, 07:59 PM
If everyone had hit cold in the 96 AA I would have given it to Mo over Lilia, but I dont know what the judges would have done. As it was in the AA Mo had zero shot of overtaking Lilia on floor even if she had hit. She was ahead of Lilia going into the last event and needed a 9.856 to win but that score was clearly too high for her on floor. She lost her shot with that huge hop on her beam dismount. She was capable of a 9.9+ on beam and only got a 9.8 with that dismount, and since Lilia is so much better than her on floor (scoring wise regardless of opinions) that is what she needed to control her own destiny going into the last event.

Loves_Shizuka
05-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Wow, my answers matched the other popular choices - IMO, Huilan, Dawes and Lilia were THEE outstanding TALENTS of these Games. But of the three, only Pod had the compettive nerve to go with it, unfortunately.

bardtoob
05-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Podkopayeva, Miller, and Dawes.

. . . I think that those that voted for Khorkina are cute, but she was frumpy back then and could not even beat Bogi at Euros. In addition to Bogi, I think that Milosovici, Amanar, and Gogean had a better chance than Khorkina since they all actually medaled in the AA.

I admit, Miller and Dawes are sentimental favorites, but they were both legitimately in the hunt.

ETA: I change my vote to Podkopayeva, Miller, and (one of the Romanians that actually medaled, most likely Milo since she was the Euros Bronze Medalist).

judgejudy27
05-09-2010, 04:23 PM
I think Khorkina is way overrated in this poll. If everyone had hit I personally think she would have finished 11th behind in some order Podkopayeva, Huilan, her teammates Kochetkova and Galieva, all 3 Americans including Moceanu, and probably the 3 Romanians. If I could redo the poll I would actually replace Khorkina with Moceanu and jump mix Khorkina with the 2 Belarussians. I knew I was forgetting someone when I started this poll. I am not a fan of Moceanu's gymnastics at all but she did score a 9.812 on bars, 9.850 on beam, and 9.837 on floor in team optionals. She was way overrated and overmarked when she was a young pixie like gymnast with flawed form and style, and based on that was a contender. I actually think she might have had a better shot than Miller though maybe not Dawes.

Khorkina did have a fall on beam in the AA at Europeans though so one cant really tell much from that. In the AA in Atlanta though she hit her first 3 routines with total sticks and was still sitting way down in 7th or 8th, even after Dawes, Miller, Galieva, Moceanu, and Boginskaya had already blown 1 or more of their routines and were right out of it. Granted she was ending on bars but I dont think even that was going to produce a miracle for her at that moment. Her tumbling and vaulting in Atlanta was small with no power which is why her floor and vault was getting such low scores for top gymnast standards. It is amazing how much more powerful she looked in 94 and 95 even then in 96, I suspect she had an injury of some kind.

judgejudy27
05-09-2010, 06:17 PM
This is something funny from the 96 European Gymnastics Championships. Amanar actually tieing Khorkina for the gold (along with Podkopayeva) on the uneven bars. I wonder what the judges were smoking there, LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZWMOrLv5zk

Amanar was strangely scored always in 95-97 I found. Often undermarked in the all around, yet overmarked in individual team scoring and event final scoring. It is amazing her team optionals score from Atlanta was over 3 tenths than her all around total when her routines were almost the same.

BigB08822
05-10-2010, 02:56 AM
I don't mean to be rude but I think the people who voted for Khorkina probably weren't following the sport in 1996 and just assume she was a huge threat. The truth was she was never going to medal unless there was a debacle of Sydney proportions. It just speaks to her reputation and legacy, though!

judgejudy27
05-10-2010, 03:20 AM
I don't mean to be rude but I think the people who voted for Khorkina probably weren't following the sport in 1996 and just assume she was a huge threat. The truth was she was never going to medal unless there was a debacle of Sydney proportions. It just speaks to her reputation and legacy, though!

Grosheva would have even bumped her out of the AA as one of the top 3 Russians had she not had her 2 major mistakes (beam optionals nearly falling on mount, bars compulsories fall). The scores prove this and Khorkina hit every routine in the team competition too. Amongst the Russians Galieva and Kochetkova were WAY bigger threats for an AA medal than Khorkina in 96. They were better than Khorkina on every event except bars.

asdf334
05-10-2010, 03:41 AM
Khorkina did have a fall on beam in the AA at Europeans though so one cant really tell much from that... It is amazing how much more powerful she looked in 94 and 95 even then in 96, I suspect she had an injury of some kind.

I think Khorkina had a back injury.

asdf334
05-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Shannon actually did hit her best bars set in the AA final with a stuck landing and got a 9.750. So I dont even have to speculate there. She isnt capable of doing the double layout dismount on bars that well as far as form and amplitude, she never has, especialy not in later years with her bigger body. She did a 9.787 in team finals on bars but all the scores were higher that day. To witness just look at Simona Amanar's scores from team optionals in Atlanta:

I don't think Miller's bars scores would have (or should have) gone higher either. That being said, there is some speculation that Jackie Fie (head of the FIG technical committe at the time, and from the US), had her scores held back on bars in the team rounds to help get Chow and Dawes into bars finals since they had routines that were much more likely to contend for medals.