PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Crashes - Any Fixes?

Pages : 1 [2]

myhoneyhoney
05-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Macs still crash or else there wouldn't be any sites like this (http://www.myfirstmac.com/index.php/mac/articles/when-your-mac-crashes/)! :D

pp55
05-05-2010, 11:22 PM
First, you need to know what causes the crashes.

Here are a few tips.
- Go to Start and type in "perfmon /report" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Go to Start and type in "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) and press Enter

In Vista there was another command/program: "wercon" (not included in Win7).
In Win7 you can also do this:
- Open Action Center by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, and then, under System and Security, clicking Review your computer's status.

These reports may show you which program(s) or device(s) caused the crashes. However, if there is hardware problem, you may not get proper reports.

WindSpirit
05-05-2010, 11:23 PM
You did notice the wink next to the suggestion, right?

I wasn't seriously suggesting that she dump her brand new computer for a Mac. (Though it would certainly solve this specific problem. :) ) It doesn't matter. It's still annoying, but most of all, it's completely off topic. And it gets old, very old. People ask specific questions about PCs and there's always someone telling them to get a Mac.

I looked up the thread (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55318&highlight=vista) I mentioned when I was buying a new computer, and got "Get a Mac" in it too. Does it look like I wasn't sure what to buy?

I had done my research and decided on the computer I'm getting before starting this thread and I said so in the first post, so I was rather surprised by inquires why I wasn't getting a Mac, or ad hoc mentions that their customer service is great. If, say, Land Rover had one of the best customer service in the world I still wouldn't buy it. I'm just not interested in Land Rovers. Simple as that. And Dragonlady has already bought her computer and it wasn't a Mac, so let's just assume she knew what she wanted.

ETA: It's her work computer, so maybe she didn't want it, but she can't change it, either.

Carolla5501
05-06-2010, 12:29 AM
The computer is brand new but our IT guy already removed all of the crapware from it. It has been professionally configured and is completely devoid of junk programs.

Getting a different computer is not an option so saying "get a Mac" is of no value. I guess I should have made it clear that this is an office computer, not my personal computer.

My boss thinks that our IT guy is turning this problem into an annuity for his children and when he sent us an email suggesting another afternoon in our office to fix it, at $75+ per hour, my boss balked at spending still more money on the issue. I hasten to add that our IT guy has been here numerous times already trying to sort it out and still the problem persists.

It's been professional configured by an IT guy who gets $75 a hour to "fix" it when it doesn't work after his configuration. Can I get this job? :lol: Perhaps your boss should balk at this IT company?

Now do you use McAfee? Because if so it could be "attacking" the operating system. Make sure you have the most recent update. We had a problem with this recently. We aren't on 7 but..

(I have 7 at home and have never had a crash... sorry!)

pat c
05-06-2010, 03:01 AM
I installed 7 on my laptop and it's worked very well. I'm with the rest that say, look at your drivers, I'd guess that's where the problem is. As for your IT guy? I want his job. ;)

Really
05-06-2010, 03:45 AM
I want the IT guy's job too! I put Win7Pro on my Asus mini (with an Atom processor) and it runs just fine with no crashes. I just got an HP Touchsmart with Win7Premium Home and it's been fine too. I'm guessing drivers or hardware issues.

Given that it's a work computer, and knowing what kind of profile crap is on our school computers, is there a chance the IT dudes set something up in the profile settings that conflicts with something else?