PDA

View Full Version : Kent State - 40 Years Later (05/04/1970)

Pages : 1 [2]

vesperholly
05-06-2010, 06:13 AM
She's lived in Ohio for the past three years (and this is southwestern Ohio, nowhere near Kent State). She's only 35. I don't think I would know a lot of the details of something that happened in another state five years before I was born that only gets mentioned once a year

I'm six years younger and grew up in New York, but I knew about it in high school ...

Margot
05-06-2010, 07:10 AM
This was also about the same time that Richard Nixon referred to Vietnam protestors as "college bums." During a radio talk show regarding protestors, my mother called in to the radio station and said "if I were still in college, I'd be right out there protesting also!"

My mother is now 93 years old and sharp as a tact. She is pretty cool. Go Mom!!!!!

Susan1
05-07-2010, 12:07 AM
It is a sad commentary on American society that this should be the case. Kent State was a landmark event in American history, and any reasonably well-informed 35-year-old American should be aware of Kent State and its effect on civic discourse -- as demonstrated in the hostile comments made to John Filo by his uncle (see skatingfan5's post) and also those directed at 14-year-old Mary Vecchio by the governor of Florida :eek: (see the link to the USA Today article in ilovepaydays' original post).

I'm not saying that most people are aware of Kent State, only that they should be.

I'm not trying to argue here or stand up for my coworker, but after I mentioned it, she brought up that they lived in Virginia during the sniper attacks. She was connecting that to "shootings". I'm sure she had heard about the Kent State thing before, but wasn't making the connection on the anniversary about it being the National Guard doing the shooting. Heck, she grew up in California. She probably knows more "history" of protesting and riots from there.

silverstars
05-07-2010, 01:38 AM
The fact that people are possibly growing up not knowing about Kent State is a bit scary to me. I was certainly not around when it happened, but definitely learned a lot about it growing up (er, although this might be because of my love of folk rock...). Kent State represents what happens when communication breaks down and people fail to listen to each other, and it's something that, especially in a nation as politically divided as the US is, we can certainly still learn from.

The late 60s/70s were completely chaotic, not mention violent, but they're pretty fascinating to me. My school had some major protests in 1968 (against Vietnam as well as civil rights issues), and from what I've heard from professors and alumni who experienced them, it was an incredibly interesting time to be a college student.

Squibble
05-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Kent State Firing Order Heard on 1970 Tape (http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/kent-state-firing-order-heard-on-1970-tape/19469932?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fnation% 2Farticle%2Fkent-state-firing-order-heard-on-1970-tape%2F19469932)

A new analysis of a 40-year-old audio recording reveals that someone ordered National Guard troops to prepare to fire on students during a deadly Vietnam War protest at Kent State University in 1970, two forensics experts said.

The recording was enhanced and evaluated by New Jersey-based audio experts Stuart Allen and Tom Owen at the request of The Plain Dealer newspaper. Both concluded that they hear someone shout, "Guard!" Seconds later, a voice yells, "All right, prepare to fire!"

"Get down!" someone shouts, presumably in the crowd. A voice then says, "Guard!..." followed two seconds later by a booming volley of gunshots.

:mad:

This isn't surprising, since the alternative explanation, i.e., that the Guardsmen all panicked, is inherently implausible.