PDA

View Full Version : Verizon users - Suggestions for a new cell phone

Pages : [1] 2

harekrishna43
05-04-2010, 01:09 AM
I have finally reached the point in my 2 year sentence with Verizon where I can get a new phone. I currently have a Motorola Razor that has been a problem since I got it and all Verizon did was give me a new one with the same problem.

I want to stay with Verizon because my entire family is on it but I dont' like most of their phones. My cousins have the LG NV2 and had convinced me it was the best one to buy - but Verizon is no longer selling them - just the NV3 which has a million complaints about the phone shutting itself off because of a design flaw.

I don't really need to do a lot of Email but I do text a bit and would like a Qwerty keyboard though it's not a requirement.

Any Verizon users that can help point me in the right direction?

AxelAnnie
05-04-2010, 01:12 AM
I have the DROID - Love it!

Ares
05-04-2010, 01:16 AM
I also have the Droid..I don't like it. :shuffle:

Prancer
05-04-2010, 01:27 AM
I don't really need to do a lot of Email but I do text a bit and would like a Qwerty keyboard though it's not a requirement.

Any Verizon users that can help point me in the right direction?

So you want a good texting phone? That's not Verizon's strength, but I believe the Blackberry 8330 is considered their best by reviews. The Samsung sch-u740 is supposed to be good, too.

You can also try this, although I didn't agree with the recommendations it made for me: http://www.mobiledia.com/guides/quiz/ or this one: http://cellphones.about.com/od/buyersguides/qt/best_cell_phone.htm?q=PP2-BWTL

FiveRinger
05-04-2010, 02:04 AM
I am a former VZW employee, and I have been told by a current employee that the iPhone will be available through VZW by the end of the year.

harekrishna43
05-04-2010, 02:18 AM
I am a former VZW employee, and I have been told by a current employee that the iPhone will be available through VZW by the end of the year.

This is very interesting - that's the only phone I would want all the bells and whistles for. If I were to get another Motorola replacement phone now, what happens when my current contract is up in September - do I have to sign another 2 year contract or can I be month to month until the I phone comes out?

numbers123
05-04-2010, 02:20 AM
we just got Droids. we love them, but we have had them since Friday. Since we got them together, I have learned to use more of the features that I ever did with my Smart phone.

FiveRinger
05-04-2010, 02:30 AM
This is very interesting - that's the only phone I would want all the bells and whistles for. If I were to get another Motorola replacement phone now, what happens when my current contract is up in September - do I have to sign another 2 year contract or can I be month to month until the I phone comes out?

If you don't qualify for an upgrade now, the only way you could get the Motorola is to use insurance or pay the retail price. If you want the iPhone, I would wait until my contract were up after September and use your discounts then. Otherwise you'll have to pay a fortune for it.

myhoneyhoney
05-04-2010, 02:43 AM
I've had the enV Touch since last year (I think @ August) and I LOVE it! I would like an iPhone but only if it's with Verizon.

Rex
05-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Both of my Verizon phones have been LG models. The current one does more stuff and has a video camera and I can put a dozen songs in it too.

Stormy
05-04-2010, 01:13 PM

I hope hope hope that's true, but I've also head that before. I'd heard that it would be available in June and that turned out to be false. :)

I have the LG Env3 from Verizon and never had one problem with it. I'd never heard of a design flaw, either? Mr. Stormy has one too and it's been great for him too.

zaphyre14
05-04-2010, 02:25 PM
I've seen Verizon corporate notices saying the iPhone is coming by then end of 2010, too. It has to do with converting the iphone to work on Verizon's network which is different from AT&T's. Verizon and I think Sprint have been negotitating with Mr. Gates to open the iPhone technology up to other markets since AT&T has pretty much maxed out their network's capacity.

All of my friends that have Droids love them. I have a Blackberry Storm that is okay for what I use it for. The main reason I got it is because it works internationally.

genegri
05-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Everyone I know who has a Droid loves it. Most people prefer the version with a Qwerty keyboard but it cuts down the screen surface by almost half.

I currently have a LG Dare and it's been very reliable. However, Verizon's VZ Navigator is not the best and the VCast thing was such a joke that I canceled it after 3 weeks.

About iPhone working with Verizon, I hope this time it's not just a tease like many times before. :shuffle: I am very tired of this game already. If iPhone does not come with Verizon this time next year, I will go with the keyboardless Droid.

Lara
05-04-2010, 08:43 PM
If you don't want a full fledged smartphone, the Microsoft Kin is coming out soon on Verizon which is designed for texting, updating social media and basic browsing without having to pay for a $30/month data plan (at least I presume - the fees haven't been announced). Nice thing is you get the Zune player for music which is comparable to the iPod.

If you do want to go smartphone then I'd recommend the new HTC Incredible unless you really want a physical keyboard...in which case it's Motorola Droid or a BlackBerry (look up the 9650 which will be the latest version).

It's hard to say about the iPhone at this point - it could happen for real or just end up rumors again. Maybe you can at least wait till the WWDC conference where they'll announce the next gen phone early June, but it's not likely to be available until the fall in any case.

AxelAnnie
05-04-2010, 09:28 PM
I hope hope hope that's true, but I've also head that before. I'd heard that it would be available in June and that turned out to be false. :)

I have the LG Env3 from Verizon and never had one problem with it. I'd never heard of a design flaw, either? Mr. Stormy has one too and it's been great for him too.

My Verizon guy says No.....ain't gonna happen any time soon