PDA

View Full Version : Summer Movies Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

genevieve
08-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Jean Claude Van-Dam had the sensibility to decline Sly's offer :P. Is there a big market of people that want to see aging action stars united in a movie and one that's directed and written by Sly? It'll be interesting to see how it opens.
I actually want to see it - and I never went to those films in the '80s. Of course, I'm probably going to wait until it's out on dvd... :shuffle:

The Eat, Pray, Love ads are driving me nuts. I kknow it's based on a very popular book, but to me the film looks like the sequel to pretty Woman - what happens to Vivian Ward after Edward Lewis dumps her for a younger prostitute with a Heart of Gold (tm). If we could just get Laura San Giacomo yelling "work it baby, work it!" I might muster up some interest.

Anita18
08-06-2010, 03:02 AM
I actually want to see it - and I never went to those films in the '80s. Of course, I'm probably going to wait until it's out on dvd... :shuffle:

The Eat, Pray, Love ads are driving me nuts. I kknow it's based on a very popular book, but to me the film looks like the sequel to pretty Woman - what happens to Vivian Ward after Edward Lewis dumps her for a younger prostitute with a Heart of Gold (tm). If we could just get Laura San Giacomo yelling "work it baby, work it!" I might muster up some interest.
The new clip (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46007) is AWESOME. :rofl:

And yeah, the Eat, Pray, Love are incredibly annoying. Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge Elizabeth Gilbert for writing about how she took a year off to travel the world and find herself (and bag a new husband to boot), but the marketing machine has now turned it into a new kind of consumerism. Just one more way for women to feel like their lives are unfulfilled and to fill that emptiness by spending more money and buying more stuff. :shuffle:

Wyliefan
08-06-2010, 04:34 AM
The Eat, Pray, Love ads are driving me nuts.

I hear that. I'm so sick of her nattering away about going away for a year that I've taken to yelling, "Yes! Just go away! And stay there!"

orbitz
08-06-2010, 05:07 AM
I actually want to see Step Up 3-D :). I heard the 3-D dance sequences are quite eye catching.

orbitz
08-13-2010, 01:14 AM
"Eat, Pray, Love" - 42% rottenTomatoes rating.

"The Expendables" - 44%

susan6
08-13-2010, 04:50 PM
"Eat, Pray, Love" - 42% rottenTomatoes rating.

"The Expendables" - 44%

Having both of these movies opening on the same weekend should theoretically induce some sort of matter-antimatter explosion in the theaters. Ultimate chick flick vs ultimate testosterone-fest.

I'm going to see the testosterone-fest. I may be female, but I'm also a child of the 80's. I don't care how bad this movie is, it's 80's icons blowing stuff up and sometimes your brain just wants a vacation.

mpal2
08-13-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm going to see the testosterone-fest. I may be female, but I'm also a child of the 80's. I don't care how bad this movie is, it's 80's icons blowing stuff up and sometimes your brain just wants a vacation.

:respec:

Actually the lone guy in my group will be pushing to see the chic flick. The ladies will be pushing for the testosterone-fest. :lol:

martian_girl
08-23-2010, 01:53 AM
I saw The Expendables last weekend. Jason Statham :swoon:

I'm morbidly curious to see Piranha 3-D. Anyone here willing to admit to seeing it? :P

Buzz
08-23-2010, 02:28 AM
I saw Piranha and love it except it had a bit too much nudity for my liking. I really was not expecting THAT many nakkid females running around. BTW... the guys in the movie were rarely if ever without their shirts on. Totally unfair I say. LOL But then again this movie did promise a lot of cheese and it certainly delievered. I can hardly wait for part two. hehehe Piranha got an 81% rating on rottentomatoes.com and Elizabeth Shue looked like she could give Angelina Jolie a run for her money! :lol:
I was a weeee bit disappointed that handsome dude who helped lady sheriff rescue her kids bit it in the end.

Matryeshka
08-23-2010, 02:44 AM
I guess I am a rare one....saw "Inception" today. Thought the concept was intriguing, some of the acting quite good....and the film as a whole was an overhyped load of crap. I spent probably the last hour wishing it was over already, and was glad it was matinee price.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I was beyond bored, thought the plot was badly done, and I've seen manager's special swiss cheese with less holes. So disappointing. The last hour was unnecessary, and omgwtfohnos, we can debate the end (and that end was telegraphed from the moon). I'd rather see a movie with a standard plot done well than a movie with a new and inventive done poorly.

Today, I saw Eat, Pray, Love. Do yourself a favor and rent Under the Tuscan Sun--the movie this one was trying to be. I liked Julia Roberts in it--there were even a few seconds where I think she attempted to act. But the character she played was so unlikeable and immature, the storytelling was uneven, and the pacing awful.

So far, my fave summer movie has been Toy Story 3, though I'm hoping to see The Switch next week-end. I'm leery about it, as Jennifer Anistan does not have the best track record in picking out decent scripts, but I feel as though I should support her since I read all about her and Anjelina while in line at Target. Despicable Me is a close second.

pollyanna
08-23-2010, 03:44 AM
Is there a U.S. release date yet for The Rum Diary with Johnny Depp? Long long ago I used to have a bit of a crush on its director, Bruce Robinson, who played Benvolio in Romeo and Juliet (and who also wrote the screenplay for The Killing Fields).

IceAlisa
08-27-2010, 08:35 PM
I saw The Extra Man, luuuurve me some Kevin Kline. Katie Holmes has aged so much it's shocking. Recommend the movie, good clean summer fun. :)

Satellitegirl
08-27-2010, 09:16 PM
I saw Salt last weekend. That was very entertaining and fun :)