PDA

View Full Version : Summer Movies Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

orbitz
07-23-2010, 12:25 AM
"Salt" is getting mixed reviews (57% on rottentomatoes), mostly for how implausible it is (Hello! It's a summer action flicks. Who needs plausibilities :P), but predominantly good reviews for Angelina as an action heroine.

Roger Ebert:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100721/REVIEWS/100729997

"Salt" is a damn fine thriller... It winds your clock tight and the alarm doesn't go off for 100 minutes.

She [Angelina] brings the conviction to her role that such a movie requires. She throws herself into it with animal energy. Somehow, improbably, she doesn't come off as a superhero (although her immunity suggests one), but as a brave and determined fighter.

This is one summer movie I want to see.

Kasey
07-23-2010, 04:30 AM
I went and saw "I am Love" with Tilda Swinton today. Really very nice movie, she is remarkable in it as always, but a little overly melodramatic for me....

Seerek
07-24-2010, 12:58 AM
I went and saw "I am Love" with Tilda Swinton today. Really very nice movie, she is remarkable in it as always, but a little overly melodramatic for me....

yes, I'm pretty sure the melodramatic mood of the movie (especially nearing the end) was the director's intent, in an attempt to recall earlier Italian directors and their movies.

I think those who come into the movie knowing this beforehand won't be as surprised/disappointed as others who don't understand why the movie took such a "soap-opera" kind of turn as the movie progresses...

Buzz
07-24-2010, 04:12 AM
Saw "Salt" no doubt that Jolie was great and the action was pretty good as well. But the story was lame to say the least. Jolie bounces off buildings, cars and trucks at dizzying speeds without getting so much as a scratch on herself. The whole children programmed to kill thing was done in the movie and game "Hitman" and in the tv series "Darkangel" and was done much better too.

Japanfan
07-24-2010, 06:49 AM
The Kids Are Alright was good - you can't go wrong when Annette Bening is in a movie. . .

I loved her diatribe about organic food and composting (not a spoiler).

"If one more person tells me how much they love heirloom tomatoes, I am going to kill myself" ;)

Kasey
07-27-2010, 01:17 AM
I guess I am a rare one....saw "Inception" today. Thought the concept was intriguing, some of the acting quite good....and the film as a whole was an overhyped load of crap. I spent probably the last hour wishing it was over already, and was glad it was matinee price.

(Of course, I also hated E.T.)

orbitz
07-27-2010, 01:59 AM
Saw "Salt" no doubt that Jolie was great and the action was pretty good as well. But the story was lame to say the least. Jolie bounces off buildings, cars and trucks at dizzying speeds without getting so much as a scratch on herself.

But didn't we use to see the same thing with the male action heroes like Arnold, Sly, Bruce, pre-Daniel Craig Bond, etc. ? I think it's kind of funny how the critics are complaining about how implausible the plot and actions for Salt are, but the majority of the male driven action pictures in the past were also implausible.

VIETgrlTerifa
07-27-2010, 07:31 AM
But didn't we use to see the same thing with the male action heroes like Arnold, Sly, Bruce, pre-Daniel Craig Bond, etc. ? I think it's kind of funny how the critics are complaining about how implausible the plot and actions for Salt are, but the majority of the male driven action pictures in the past were also implausible.

It's only funny if those male driven action pictures were given great reviews with nary a mention to the implausibility of their plots. Plus those action movies you mentioned (Arnold, Sly, Bruce, etc.) were from a different era (80s and early 90s) and it's safe to say standards are different.

BigB08822
07-27-2010, 04:16 PM
I think back in the 80's and 90's the special effects weren't so good so we didn't see people being so realistically bounced off of buildings and hit by vehicles and such. It happened but not too often in a movie because each time cost a lot of money and time to do. Now we can make it happen 10 times in one movie and make it look so real, so when the character just dusts themselves off it seems even more bogus than it did in the past. Plus, Angie's makeup never seems to smudge, :P

Anita18
07-27-2010, 05:18 PM
I think back in the 80's and 90's the special effects weren't so good so we didn't see people being so realistically bounced off of buildings and hit by vehicles and such. It happened but not too often in a movie because each time cost a lot of money and time to do. Now we can make it happen 10 times in one movie and make it look so real, so when the character just dusts themselves off it seems even more bogus than it did in the past. Plus, Angie's makeup never seems to smudge, :P
Yeah, that's the difference between the original Star Wars and the new trilogy. The CGI in the new one is just too clean and artificial.

The special effects in action movies nowadays are usually used to give a patina of realism, like the Bourne films. When it's used for a ridiculous action movie, it doesn't' quite jive. Although it looks like The Expendables are a hark back to those old low-budget action movies. Well, besides having all of the action stars in it. Aside from Steven Seagal and Chuck Norris. Otherwise I think it's everybody. :lol:

orbitz
07-27-2010, 07:38 PM
it looks like The Expendables are a hark back to those old low-budget action movies. Well, besides having all of the action stars in it. Aside from Steven Seagal and Chuck Norris. Otherwise I think it's everybody. :lol:

Jean Claude Van-Dam had the sensibility to decline Sly's offer :P. Is there a big market of people that want to see aging action stars united in a movie and one that's directed and written by Sly? It'll be interesting to see how it opens.

martian_girl
07-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Jean Claude Van-Dam had the sensibility to decline Sly's offer :P. Is there a big market of people that want to see aging action stars united in a movie and one that's directed and written by Sly? It'll be interesting to see how it opens.

I'm planning on seeing it at midnight the night it opens, but I'm sure I'll be the only chick in the theater.:D

I saw Inception this past weekend. I think I'm still trying to process it. It was pretty good, but probably overpraised by some.

Salt is coming to the local cheap seats in a few weeks, so I'll probably catch it then.

BigB08822
07-28-2010, 06:06 AM
Apologies if this was discussed.

I just saw the trailer for "Let Me In" which is the US remake of "Let The Right One In." It looks REALLY good for a remake. If I didn't know any better, many of the scenes looks exactly like the original. I think this will do the original justice and bring the story to a whole new audience who would have refused to watch a subtitled movie or one poorly dubbed, as I heard the original was. I am going to see this even though I know the big twist and how it all plays out.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3707045401/

Anita18
07-29-2010, 02:07 AM
Well he did decide to star in JCVD, which I heard was good but in a weird, self-deprecating, decidedly non-mainstream way. :lol:

And of course it'll be AWESOME. Nostalgia FTW! :respec: Although probably too gory for me. :lol:

martian_girl
07-29-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm looking forward to the U.S. release of The Girl Who Played With Fire which was supposedly July 9. I just have to pray it comes to my town. Then in October, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. :cheer2:

I finally saw The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Wow!:eek: Its probably the best film I've seen so far this year. I can't wait for the next installments.