PDA

View Full Version : Summer Movies Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Anita18
07-13-2010, 01:53 AM
I definitely want to see Inception after seeing more trailers for it. Looks really interesting.

I heard that the final 2 Twilight films will be shooting in Baton Rouge, LA! Oh my, is this place going to be overrun with Twihards? They are filming other places as well, such as Canada probably for the outdoor shots but Baton Rouge will be one of the main filming places.
Will you guys need the economic boost? :lol:

Indra486
07-13-2010, 02:06 AM
WOOO! :cheer: I can't believe the glowing reviews it's getting. They're up there with Toy Story 3.

It is a Christopher Nolan film. Though, I think The Prestige was the only film that people either loved or hated from him. (I didn't love it but I thought it was compelling and liked it enough).

Lacey
07-13-2010, 02:49 AM
Under other:

I am Love (lo sono l'amore). Director: Luca Guadagnino - Cast: Tilda Swinton, Flavio Parenti, Gabriele Ferzetti, Pippo Delbono, Edoardo Gabbriellini. Very powerful.

Solitary Man. Michael Douglas. He's aging, but it is an older man's part, however, it interfered with my feelings for the film.

Rhianna
07-13-2010, 02:54 AM
I saw Predators today purely for Adrien Brody. I wasn't disappointed.

Anita18
07-13-2010, 02:58 AM
It is a Christopher Nolan film. Though, I think The Prestige was the only film that people either loved or hated from him. (I didn't love it but I thought it was compelling and liked it enough).
I know, I know. The guy is synonymous with quality. I'm a total fangirl here. :lol:

But I did think it would be more polarizing like The Prestige, which I liked a lot (or at least admire greatly) but I can't watch all the way through. :o

Japanfan
07-13-2010, 06:59 AM
I enjoyed 'Mother and Child' a few weeks ago.

Last night I went to see Alain Resnais's new film 'Wild Grass'. He's one of the old school European directors and I deeply appreciated his films of years past (Hiroshima Mon Amour, Last Year at Marienbad, Mon Oncle Amerique). But this one was a complete waste of time - there were some lovely shots but basically the film had no point and made no sense.

It was funny chatting with some folks after the movie. One commented that it was about the "cinematic form" and another noted that it was "absurd". Both assumed an air of self-importance in making these points.

I was a film studies major way back when and can talk a blue streak about the semantics of the cinema (though I no longer care to) and director who explore/defy cinematic boundaries . . .

But really, just because a film is European doesn't necessarily mean it is a good film. Even great directors make flops, and at 88 years old, Resnais is just no longer the master he once was.

I'm looking forward to the indy film "Winter's Bone" (won an award at Sundance). And there's a comedy coming soon with Annette Bening and Julianna Moore that looks good - they are a couple who procure the service of a sperm donor to get pregnant.

Satellitegirl
07-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Add me to the list of those looking forward to Inception. Can't wait :) Going to go see it with the bf when I visit in August.

mgobluegirl
07-13-2010, 07:53 PM
I think I would have to be physically forced to see the new Twilight movie.

...although I went willingly to SATC2. Not sure where my better judgment was that day.

PeterG
07-16-2010, 06:21 AM
I'm going to go see "Inception" on Tuesday. :cheer2:

I also want to see...

The Kids Are All Right (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdDSqgZ87fM)

It's getting really good reviews and with a cast featuring Annette Bening, Julianne Moore and Mark Ruffalo...how can you go wrong? :D (It opened last weekend...anybody seen it?)

And...

Salt (Angelina Jolie) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ40WlshNwU)

...it also stars Liev Schreiber and Andre Braugher. I read in the newspaper today that they except Salt to open north of $30 million. It doesn't open until July 23rd. Anyone know how they can predict a movie's box office so early? I know sometimes movies have advance ticket sales, but I don't think this is one of those movies.

orbitz
07-16-2010, 06:29 AM
The entertainment people makes prediction based on how Angie's previous thrillers opened and how these kind of movies have done in the past. Angie can definitely play a kick *ss spy. I just wish she also has the muscle toned body of Jennifer Garner in Alias when playing these roles.

pollyanna
07-16-2010, 07:01 AM
I'm looking forward to the U.S. release of The Girl Who Played With Fire which was supposedly July 9. I just have to pray it comes to my town. Then in October, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. :cheer2:

Wyliefan
07-16-2010, 01:06 PM
A bunch of people from my Bible study went to see Inception at midnight. I did not. :yawn: I'm getting old and feeble. (Plus I kind of had to be awake for work this morning.)

CynicElle
07-16-2010, 01:10 PM
A bunch of people from my Bible study went to see Inception at midnight. I did not. :yawn: I'm getting old and feeble. (Plus I kind of had to be awake for work this morning.)

Yeah, I can't really swing the midnight movie thing anymore unless it's on a weekend, although Inception had me pondering the idea. Definitely want to catch that this weekend.

Anita18
07-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Plus it's apparently the kind of movie you really need to pay attention to. I didn't trust my brain to work coherently by 2am. :lol:

But gonna catch it tomorrow! :cheer:

jenny12
07-17-2010, 01:05 AM
I'm planning on seeing Inception tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. Although Nolan sometimes can be a bit cold for me, I always admire his creativity.