Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

Buzz
07-01-2010, 12:39 AM
YIKES! The Last Airbender got a 7% rating on rottentomatoes.com! :wideeyes:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/

Anita18
07-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Oh, Shyamalan....:o

Speaking of which, Eclipse just got $30+ million from only its midnight showings today. :lol: And the race begins: who's got the most devoted fans, Twilight or Harry Potter? :D

martian_girl
07-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Oh, Shyamalan....:o

Speaking of which, Eclipse just got $30+ million from only its midnight showings today. :lol: And the race begins: who's got the most devoted fans, Twilight or Harry Potter? :D

Our local multi-plex had 10 screens devoted to Twilight midnight screenings. All ten sold out. :scream:

Ebert, who hates 3-D anyway, had a similarly scathing review of Airbender (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100630/REVIEWS/100639999):

"The Last Airbender" is an agonizing experience in every category I can think of and others still waiting to be invented. The laws of chance suggest that something should have gone right. Not here. It puts a nail in the coffin of low-rent 3D, but it will need a lot more coffins than that

His first inexplicable mistake was to change the races of the leading characters; on television Aang was clearly Asian, and so were Katara and Sokka, with perhaps Mongolian and Inuit genes. Here they're all whites. This casting makes no sense because (1) It's a distraction for fans of the hugely popular TV series, and (2) all three actors are pretty bad.

As "The Last Airbender" bores and alienates its audiences, consider the opportunities missed here. (1) This material should have become an A-list animated film. (2) It was a blunder jumping aboard the 3D bandwagon with phony 3D retro-fitted to a 2D film. (3) If it had to be live action, better special effects artists should have been found.

So yeah, it looks pretty awful.

jenny12
07-01-2010, 02:19 AM
YIKES! The Last Airbender got a 7% rating on rottentomatoes.com! :wideeyes:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/

I can't say I'm surprised, the previews look horrible. I really liked The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs, but Shyamalan's had one piece of crap after another recently. Seeing The Happening in the theater was one of the biggest regrets of my life...well, kinda.

Buzz
07-01-2010, 02:42 AM
Well I did see 2012 and Transformers 2 so after those two rotten eggs nothing, not even The Last Airbender, could possibly be that bad. :lol: I am still going to see it tomorrow... :slinkaway

BigB08822
07-01-2010, 04:55 AM
Stick a fork in him (Shyamalan) cause he is DONE. He had some potential but was clearly a flash in the pan. I don't know if he is trying too hard or what, but it is one clunker after another. If The Happening had been one of his first movies, well, it would have been his ONLY movie. It was THAT bad.

Satellitegirl
07-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Wow, that sucks, I was looking forward to The Last Airbender :/ I'll probably still see it, but maybe now I'll enjoy it a bit more with horrible expectations lol.

Wyliefan
07-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Poor M. Night. I've always liked him, and hoped he could make a comeback with this one.

Anita18
07-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Stick a fork in him (Shyamalan) cause he is DONE. He had some potential but was clearly a flash in the pan. I don't know if he is trying too hard or what, but it is one clunker after another. If The Happening had been one of his first movies, well, it would have been his ONLY movie. It was THAT bad.
I just don't think his style of filmmaking scales up very well. Sixth Sense was really good, but it was essentially a stage play with only 2 major characters. The magic happened within the claustrophobic atmosphere.

When you try to expand the scope of that kind of movie, it just doesn't work. I think he needs to go back to really small films, because medium-to-big budgets aren't his thing.

Compare that to Memento, which, for its small budget and small cast, didn't depend on such a claustrophobic atmosphere. Its director has gone on to make very successful big-budget films (Batman Begins, Dark Knight, and supposedly Inception's very good).

Granted, I thought Signs and The Village were meh and I only needed to see the 5-minute clip of The Happening. :lol: I haven't yet seen Unbreakable, which I've heard is really good.

VIETgrlTerifa
07-01-2010, 08:50 PM
My biggest issue with The Last Airbender, and no I haven't seen it but I have friends who have and are also huge fans of the show, was that it seems to have taken an excellent (that's right, excellent) animated series for children and turned it into a soulless, lifeless, laughable mess. The reason why the show had such a cult following was because of the character development that was able to humanize the characters. Of course, one can't expect a feature film to be able to achieve that same level of characterization since it doesn't have the advantage of television pacing, however, from the sounds of it, Shyamalan didn't get what made this show work at all and instead chose to highlight the more absurd and ridiculous aspects of the storyline and create a CGI-heavy mess of a movie out of it.

Also, the white-washing of the characters is very insulting and offensive to me.. The show and characters are obviously heavily influenced by East Asian (Tibetan, Chinese, and Japanese specifically) and Inuit cultures and they choose instead to cast white actors to play the principal leads. Then there's the casting of the Fire Nation to make the principal characters South Asian. Yes, Dev Patel probably has has the meatiest role with potential, but I think it's very telling that they use Asians (South Asians since M. Night is Indian-American) to portray the Fire Nation (the antagonist of the film). Asians are good enough to play the "villains" in big Hollywood blockbusters but they're not good enough or marketable to actually be cast as the main protagonists in a movie where the fanbase expects them to actually be Asian.

I think this review is epic.

http://io9.com/5576076/m-night-shyamalan-finally-made-a-comedy

The brilliance of Noah Ringer's performance cannot be understated — he is the first performer ever to convince me utterly that he is standing in front of a greenscreen. Even when Ringer is filmed on location, in front of a real-life mountain, he still manages to create the impression that his surroundings have been keyed in, and he's actually in a studio somewhere. This is a huge, crucial factor in the way the movie makes fun of its own epic-ness. And I think everybody who has criticized Shyamalan for casting white actors as Asian characters in this film should admit they were wrong. Clearly, Shyamalan tried to cast Asians, but he just couldn't find any whose performances were lifeless enough.

Buzz
07-01-2010, 08:58 PM
I just saw The Last Airbender and really liked it. I would say it is about a 7 out of 10. It is not Oscar material and no where near as good as The Sixth Sense but it is really good. The Last Airbender is in the same vein as Chronicles Of Narnia. So if you liked that movie you will like this one. It will never win an Oscar for best picture but to me it is nowhere near as bad as those reviews will lead you to believe and if there is a part two I will see go to see it. The movie for me at first took time to get into but really gets better and better as it goes along. It has many of the same key elements of other similar movies that has gone before. So I do not thinik it deserves the awful reviews it got. Here are some of what I mean: (BTW I have never seen the tv series)

1. The out of favour son trying to please a hard to please father
2. The reluctant hero
3. The kiddie heros who could do no wrong
4. Kiddie heros saving the world and becoming adults at the same time
5. teen romance
6. magical flying creatures
7. gorgeous special effects
8. This movie borrows heavily from eastern mythology

VIETgrlTerifa
07-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Professional reviews aside, I found that a good proportion of the people who dislike the movie are fans of the television show. Maybe if you have an idea that The Last Airbender was just a fun, fluffy summer flick for kids, then you can enjoy it. However, if you expected it to actually to have some of the qualities that made the show work, then you won't.

Indra486
07-02-2010, 01:51 AM
Also, the white-washing of the characters is very insulting and offensive to me.. The show and characters are obviously heavily influenced by East Asian (Tibetan, Chinese, and Japanese specifically) and Inuit cultures and they choose instead to cast white actors to play the principal leads. Then there's the casting of the Fire Nation to make the principal characters South Asian. Yes, Dev Patel probably has has the meatiest role with potential, but I think it's very telling that they use Asians (South Asians since M. Night is Indian-American) to portray the Fire Nation (the antagonist of the film). Asians are good enough to play the "villains" in big Hollywood blockbusters but they're not good enough or marketable to actually be cast as the main protagonists in a movie where the fanbase expects them to actually be Asian.

I remember when this project was first announced with M. Night helming it, I thought good grief. :scream: The only "comfort" I had was the thought that Brian and Mike would be involved in the writing. M. Night needs to take some writing lessons.

Then when the casting was announced, I was :angryfire. Have you read his defenses? Lord, the man just keeps digging a deeper hole for himself. Even if TLA miraculously gets a sequel, Paramount could drop him as a director. I highly doubt it'll change the casting but goodness.

VIETgrlTerifa
07-02-2010, 02:48 AM
Maybe they should just do a reboot and have a real talented director take charge...one who actually respects the source material and cares about character development.

My sisters watched it this afternoon...they were more negative than the critics.

MOIJTO
07-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Just read that they are re-making Spiderman. Tom Cruise's movie is a flop and ticket sales for other than Eclipse are very weak.