PDA

View Full Version : Summer Movies Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Buzz
06-27-2010, 05:03 AM
Thanks Peter! I miss your movie threads! :( Thanks for your tip on Night and Day but I still do not know if I want to see that one but I am will most certainly go to see The Last Airbender next week! :cheer2:

soxxy
06-27-2010, 12:35 PM
I just read that they are not expecting this movie to do well from early box office receipts, but from the reaction of the audience last night, my thought was that this one was going to be a BIG hit. Two thumbs up for sure.

I'm hearing this a lot either on the internet or from friends who have seen it; they've enjoyed it and report that the audience they saw it with did as well. The box office has not been great so far, and I have to say the commercial ad (shown during the World Cup broadcast yesterday, and elsewhere) is sort of blah.

cruisin
06-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Saw "Night and Day" last night. It was entertaining. Tom Cruise was pretty funny, as was Carmen Diaz. Light summer fun. Enjoyed it more than I expected to.

nubka
06-27-2010, 06:35 PM
I saw Toy Story 3 last night. I really liked it, but Toy Story 1 is my fav. We will be going to see Twilight Eclipse and Despicable Me when they hit the theaters. That will probably do it for me this summer...

orbitz
06-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Adam Sandler's "Grown Ups" made $41 mil over the weekend, and it has only a 10% rottentomatoes rating. I'm sure Sandler got David Spade and Rob Schneider for almost nothing.

"Knight and Days" look like a flop for Cruise, but I can't believe the press are attributing his diminish b.o. appeal to his crazy antics a few years back (couch jumping, calling Laer glib, etc.). I don't think it factors, especially for guys. People taste change; Stars age. Look at people like Julia Roberts and Harrison Ford. No one can stay top of b.o. forever and it has nothing to do with their off-screen behaviors.

shan
06-27-2010, 08:35 PM
I saw Knight and Day on Friday. I thought it was very funny! I'm not a huge Tom Cruise fan, so I wasn't expecting much...

cruisin
06-27-2010, 09:10 PM
I saw Knight and Day on Friday. I thought it was very funny! I'm not a huge Tom Cruise fan, so I wasn't expecting much...

Same sentiment for me.

paskatefan
06-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Shrek, Toy Story 3, The Karate Kid, Letters to Juliet!

Kasey
06-28-2010, 01:32 AM
Since it's just now coming to Reno :rolleyes: (opened in March I guess), a friend and I are going to see "The girl with the dragon tattoo" this week.

martian_girl
06-28-2010, 03:47 AM
I ended up really enjoying The A-team. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect. :lol: The next film on my must-see list is Despicable Me, which I hope doesn't get buried by people seeing Toy Story a third time.

I get the feeling that The Last Airbender is going to bomb big time.

Buzz
06-28-2010, 05:41 AM
I ended up really enjoying The A-team. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect. :lol: The next film on my must-see list is Despicable Me, which I hope doesn't get buried by people seeing Toy Story a third time.

Hopefully not! I love these types of movies... :shuffle:

Anita18
06-28-2010, 07:56 PM

Because Toy Story 3 is really THAT good. :D My sister said we had to see it together when we were in Baltimore for my cousin's wedding, and it was already her second time.

Judging by my mom's laughter, she thought the trailer for Despicable Me was cute. :lol: They did utilize a lot of the in-your-face 3-D effects, but I like the little minions.

MOIJTO
06-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Since my husband and I do not go the theater to see movies, I am patient enough to wait for the DVD. Most will be out within 2-3 months of release, that's not very long. :)

Satellitegirl
06-28-2010, 09:46 PM
I saw Iron Man 2 and Letters to Juliet over the past week.....I loved both of them. Recommend them both.

orbitz
07-01-2010, 12:29 AM
N.Y. Times reviews for "The Last Airbender" :

http://movies.nytimes.com/2010/07/01/movies/01last.html?ref=arts

"The Last Airbender"? Let’s hope so, though there is a scene at the very end that gestures toward a sequel. After 94 minutes — was that all? I could have sworn it was days — of muddy 3-D imagery and muddled storytelling, the idea that this is just the first “Last Airbender” seems either delusionally optimistic or downright cruel.

At least for now Mr. Shyamalan’s attempt to conjure a realm of myth and adventure out of special effects and long expository speeches might serve as a textbook chapter on How to Do It Wrong.

So you didn't like the movie, Mr. Scott? :lol: