PDA

View Full Version : Kristoffer Berntsson has made up his mind

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Evilynn
12-28-2010, 09:52 AM
The SVT segment covers the :drama: during Nationals, no big news there. Majorov says he's the best and that he messed up his short program. Berntsson says he's doing better and can do 4 triples in the latter half of the program because he worked on his stamina and that he's got the program in his muscle memory now. He would love to go back to Tokyo, since that's where he had his best WC result so far and he'd love to repeat it.

siberia82
01-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Thank you for the summary, Evilynn. :)

To the surprise of no one, Kristoffer has been named to the 2011 Nordics team (hey, it's been a slow month in terms of news ;)): http://iof2.idrottonline.se/SvenskaKonstakningsforbundet/Media/Nyhetsarkiv/TheNordics2011/

siberia82
01-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Berntsson briefly discusses his anticipation for Euros on SkateSweden.se: http://iof2.idrottonline.se/templates/NewsPage.aspx?id=10440

SmallFairy
01-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Quick translation, sorry for any misspelling:

Euro-hopes is preparing on home ice

Euros in Bern is getting closer, and the three Swedish hopes Viktoria Helgeson, Kristoffer Berntson and Adrian Shulteiss is preparing intensivly on home ice.

-My programs are working better and better, says Kristoffer to Skatesweden.se

the 15th place from last year is not what Kristoffer, who placed 7th i 2008 as his best result, was hoping for. Now he really goes for it:

-I'm aiming to do my best Euros ever! I'm preparing at home and is practicing as usual to the very last day. If I'm to achieve my goal, it's all about the total package, and that's why it feels good that my programs are starting to gel, greets Kristoffer from Gothenburg.

Viktoria Helgesson is at home in Tibro, also the home town of tennis star Robin Söderling.
- I'm not practicing as intense now as I use to, fewer hours the closer to Euros I get. My goal is to skate two clean programs. I don't have any specific goal for my placement, since I'm only in control of what I doing myself, but a personal best would be great.

For Vicky that would mean more than 165.18 that she earned at Swedish nationals in december 2009 in Linköping.

Adrian placed 12th in last years Euros. His best placement is 6th in 2008. Shulteiss is also practicing at home in Gothenburg, with his two new coaches, Joanna Dahlstrand and Maria Bergqvist.

If you want to see the Swedish stars live, your chanse is april 2nd, in Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm, where they will participate in the figure skating show Stockholm ice.

siberia82
01-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Tack så mycket, SmallFairy! :D (I've been looking for Swedish articles and interviews for almost three months now, so I was bound to pick up a few Swedish words here and there. :P)

I've just noticed that Koffe is listed as a competitor for the 2011 Mont Blanc Trophy, which will take place in Courmayeur, Italy on Feb. 15-20: http://www.mbtc.it/competitors.php?pag=senior/men/entries2.php This event is scheduled only a couple of days after the Nordic Championships (though as a senior-level skater, the gap between the two competitions will be closer to a week for him). The Merano Cup also took place the weekend after the Ice Challenge, and Kristoffer totally bombed his LP at Merano. :shuffle:

siberia82
01-23-2011, 04:52 PM
AbsoluteSkating.com finally posted their report on the Swedish Nationals: http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=reports&id=2011swedishnat1

siberia82
01-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Berntsson shared a few words about his SP at Euros: http://iof2.idrottonline.se/SvenskaKonstakningsforbundet/Media/Nyhetsarkiv/SasongsbastaforBerntsson/

Ziggy
01-31-2011, 01:19 AM
I wonder what happened to him in the FS? It looked like his focus was totally off, he was very tense and it might have been the first time he didn't even seem to try to present his program. :(

Nerves got the better of him I guess? :/

siberia82
01-31-2011, 05:52 AM
I wonder what happened to him in the FS?

*sighs* I wish I knew. I was so heartbroken watching Koffe fall apart like that. :fragile: Everything was just so bloody PAINFUL! :wuzrobbed

It looked like his focus was totally off

I'd say that Kristoffer's focus was practically nonexistent on that day. :duh: His disastrous performance reminded me of Verner's "Crouching Czech, Hidden Program" at the 2008 Worlds. :yikes: :scream:

Nerves got the better of him I guess? :/

Well, he is a headcase... :wall: But I'm not exactly sure what he was nervous about. Last season, the Swedish Olympic Committee informed Berntsson that he would need to medal at Euros if he wanted a ticket to Vancouver, so I can understand why this unrealistic expectation caused him to crumble. This time around, however, I don't understand what might have caused his mind to just blank out like that. :confused:

As incredibly sad as I am, though, I still managed to crack up at this observation someone made about him: "I've seen my share of crotch grabbing done to Michael Jackson music during competitive programs, but it's usually a brush and a flick. But not Kristoffer BERNTSSON, oh no, when he grabs his crotch, he does it with gusto. He held it, fondled it and kept at it until he was satisfied. That was a level 4 crotch grab."

LMAO!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TAHbKA
01-31-2011, 09:25 AM
From the Europeans quick quotes:

After LP: Kristoffer Berntsson (SWE), 2011 National Champion
My free skating was terrible. I don’t understand what happened. I didn’t really had speed, I skated too slow.
After SP: Kristoffer Berntsson (SWE), 2011 National Champion
The program is about struggling with life, being hit by life and still pushing through it. The performance was decent, but I know I can do better. The Axel was off axis, but at least I did it and the triple toe was downgraded. That cost me a lot of points. But it was a pretty good start. I am hoping for more. My goal for the free is to skate a clean program and leave happy. The results are not the most important thing.

After his SP Berntsson looked so relieved that it seemed as if he had finished his career, rather than just one programme. His LP practices were horrible and his skate in the LP was a variation on the theme of his planned content. Such a shame, he is an amazing performer and his SP was one of the competition highlights for me

Ziggy
01-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Thank you a lot, you're a star!

Yes, the SP was beautiful despite the mistakes. Gorgeously presented and interpreted.

FS was just abysmal, really painful to watch. :(

siberia82
01-31-2011, 11:02 PM
Härryda-Posten.se posted an article about Kristoffer's disappointing finish at Euros earlier today: http://www.harrydaposten.se/nyhet_visa.asp?id=790&sidnamn=Sport

siberia82
02-01-2011, 05:46 PM
After LP: Kristoffer Berntsson (SWE), 2011 National Champion
My free skating was terrible. I don’t understand what happened. I didn’t really had speed, I skated too slow.

Well, that's not terribly encouraging. :( If even Koffe doesn't know why he had a meltdown, there's no guarantee that he won't repeat the same mistakes at Nordics, the event which will be used by the Swedish fed determine the World team.

The results are not the most important thing.

I wish I could believe Kristoffer when he says this. I know that he desperately wants a ticket to Tokyo, so this dreadful outing isn't helping his cause. The kicked puppy look he had on his face was an expression of not only his disappointment at how poorly he skated, but also knowing that he has endangered his place on the World team. The Swedish fed could've easily sent Majorov to Bern so that their rising star can get more experience on the big stage, and now I wonder if the officials might regret leaving the young skater at home.

His LP practices were horrible.

Really? I didn't know that. :fragile:

Kris has been struggling with his MJ routine all season. It saddens me that his LP at SC, the one I was present for, is so far his cleanest. His only real mistake during the free skate there was a step out on the 3Lo, but it was a "dumbed down" program CoP-wise, and he was sluggish during the 2nd half.

his skate in the LP was a variation on the theme of his planned content.

The British Eurosport commentators mentioned that Berntsson's performance had nothing to do with the jump sheet they had. That probably screwed him over. :duh:

Yes, the SP was beautiful despite the mistakes. Gorgeously presented and interpreted.

Even with the bobbles, "Comptine d'un autre été" is still one of my favourite SPs of the entire season! :swoon: :encore: ♥ ♥ ♥

FS was just abysmal, really painful to watch. :(

I finally had the courage to watch the LP again, and it's not quite as horrible as I remember it. Those jump errors and weak spins are still gut-wrenching, mind you :slinkaway, but Kris' commitment to his choreography is on par with his performance at the Swedish Nationals. While I was watching the Euros live stream, I was too distraught by his mistakes to notice anything else, but the Swiss fangirls really enjoyed the program and were screaming their heads off. The British commentators were critical of Berntsson's lack of focus, of course, but they nevertheless complimented his ablility to entertain. :)

Oh Koffe, why must you be such a hot mess all of the time??? :wuzrobbed :wall: ;) :smokin: (I interacted with a few other Koffeholics during the Euros broadcast, and I thought it was funny that we ended up joking about how attractive he was as a way to cope with the profound heartache we were experiencing at that moment.)

Loves_Shizuka
02-01-2011, 05:57 PM
It wasn't even that his jumps were off in the LP; the choreo was a mess, he looked like he was making it up as he went along and the spins were awful. He was totally out of a time and basically, all over the place. Was ... bizarre.

Ziggy
02-02-2011, 12:46 AM
It wasn't even that his jumps were off in the LP; the choreo was a mess, he looked like he was making it up as he went along and the spins were awful. He was totally out of a time and basically, all over the place. Was ... bizarre.

Yep, that was surely his worst skate ever.

Another example of a skater who could have got far, if only he could find a sport psychologist he'd have a good relationship with. :(