PDA

View Full Version : Kristoffer Berntsson has made up his mind

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Finnice
09-09-2010, 11:09 AM
It will be great to se Kristoffer´s new programs in Finlandia Trophy.:encore:

siberia82
11-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Finnice, did you get to see Koffe at the Finlandia Trophy? Did he appear healthy to you? I recently watched him skate in Kingston (SC was the first, and probably the last time, I'll ever get to see Kristoffer compete in person :drama:), and he looked tired at event. Perhaps it was only jet lag, but I couldn't help but wonder if he might have been ill. Some of his sparkle was missing, especially during the SP. It's unfortunate since I really like the idea behind his "Comptine d'un autre été"' routine, but the big fall on his combo broke my heart. :(

For those of who have seen his Berntsson's LP at Skate Canada, perhaps you've noticed the fangirl-ish screaming, cheering and clapping during his performance. (I was definitely one of louder ones, tee hee hee! :biggrinbo :cheer:) The elderly man who sat next to me seemed puzzled by the (or maybe just my :P) enthusiastic reaction because Kristoffer was neither Canadian nor a medal contender. The man asked me, "So I gather that this young gentleman is very popular with the ladies, right?" :lol: Oh sir, you have no idea. :smokin:

Btw, does anyone know where I can send fan mail to Koffe? I need to thank him for not retiring and giving this financially-strapped Canadian fan a chance to watch him skate live. :)

Sylvia
11-09-2010, 09:39 PM
With thanks to Hanna:

Kristoffer Berntsson SP Finlandia Trophy 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_9-sfmcprA)

Kristoffer Berntsson FS Finlandia Trophy 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJHsTH9fi9E)

siberia82
11-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the links, Sylvia. Kris's skating appeared to be more lively at Finlandia than at SC. I wonder what zapped his energy between Vantaa and Kingston? :confused:

I've just watched the live stream for the Men's Ice Challenge SP, and I'm growing increasingly concerned. Unless he gets his act together soon, the Swedish federation won't be sending him to Euros or Worlds this season. :( His teammate Majorov (who had a lively performance) beat him by almost 5.5 points!

Has anyone else noticed that Berntsson's programs seem considerably less CoP-friendly this year? For instance, why is the single triple in his SP a loop instead of a lutz? His spins are noticeably slower now than before, and the positions he hold appear to be less difficult. Is he ill or injured in some way that I'm unaware of, or is this result of his "old" age (28 years old)? If I'm not mistaken, Koffe is the oldest amongst the male skaters who are currently competing.

museksk8r
11-12-2010, 07:33 PM
^ I think it may be that Koffe is skating more for his fans and for himself right now moreso than for the judges. He has had such a long string of bad luck with injuries and he's probably trying to save himself from further injury by skating less COP friendly programs. His always entertaining and endearing showmanship and the appreciation he receives from his fans are his gold medal I think. :)

igniculus
11-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Has anyone else noticed that Berntsson's programs seem considerably less CoP-friendly this year? For instance, why is the single triple in his SP a loop instead of a lutz? His spins are noticeably slower now than before, and the positions he hold appear to be less difficult.

^ I think it may be that Koffe is skating more for his fans and for himself right now moreso than for the judges. He has had such a long string of bad luck with injuries and he's probably trying to save himself from further injury by skating less COP friendly programs. His always entertaining and endearing showmanship and the appreciation he receives from his fans are his gold medal I think. :)

This.

Also. Kristoffer had a very unlucky injury about 2 years ago where he needed a leg operation, and the season after the surgery really affected his ability to land fully rotated 3Flips and 3Lutzes. But his 3A technique is as gorgeous as it ever was! :swoon:

Zemgirl
11-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Has anyone else noticed that Berntsson's programs seem considerably less CoP-friendly this year? For instance, why is the single triple in his SP a loop instead of a lutz? His spins are noticeably slower now than before, and the positions he hold appear to be less difficult. Is he ill or injured in some way that I'm unaware of, or is this result of his "old" age (28 years old)? If I'm not mistaken, Koffe is the oldest amongst the male skaters who are currently competing.
Yes, him and KvdP are both 28 and have been around forever (both competed at 2000 Euros).

In addition to what others have mentioned, I've read that Kristoffer is putting a lot of effort into finishing his master's degree in electrical engineering - he's working on his thesis this year, I think. I would imagine this cuts into his training time, so most likely his main goal is to have fun and skate programs that his fans will enjoy.

ioana
11-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Also. Kristoffer had a very unlucky injury about 2 years ago where he needed a leg operation, and the season after the surgery really affected his ability to land fully rotated 3Flips and 3Lutzes. But his 3A technique is as gorgeous as it ever was! :swoon:

I'm sure the injury played a part in that, but he has insanely difficult entries in his combos. He does brackets into his 3lutz 3toe, for example :eek:. I didn't check the protocols, but I hope he gets rewarded in terms of GOE for all the added difficulty. Assuming he does land the jumps, which is not a given lately...

Finnice
11-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Sorry Siberia, I just saw your message asking Kristoffer in Finlandia Trophy. He seemed to be in a very good season-start condition and the crowd really love him. He is also a very funny and relaxed person off-ice. But no wonder if he is a bit tired because he has also studied hard at the university, has now is master´s degree in engineering and is working half-time.

siberia82
11-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied to my last post. I will respond to the comments later, but right now, I just needed to express how sad I am that Kris had a worse free skate at the Ice Challenge than at SC. :fragile: In Kingston, at least it looked like he had fun during his LP even though he had to constantly fight for his jump landings and was running out of steam towards the end. (I even remember at one point that he had a big grin on his face as he headed back towards the boards.) Koffe's performance at Graz was "flat" in comparison, and he looked really disappointed in the K&C. :(

servin
11-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Maybe he was a little bit nervous when Majorov was ahead of him in the ranking? I think it was the first time Majorov beat Berntsson in a competition. And he deserved it! Majorov is skating so well, and express himself so good! Majorovs goal for the season is to get a medal at junior worlds, so maybe Berntsson still has a chance to go atleast to worlds, if Majorov take Europeans and Junior Worlds. It all will depend of what happen at Swedish national!! It will be such an exciting battle!

siberia82
11-15-2010, 12:38 AM
I didn't originally plan to post on this thread today (I was still in mourning over what happened at the Ice Challenge :drama:), but I've just noticed that Kristoffer has (finally) updated his website! :rollin: I thought he had shut it down because I continued to receive an error page whenever I tried to visit it in the past month. The following are his three latest entries.

New Season:
http://www.landvetterkk.com/Kristoffer/My_thoughts/Entries/2010/10/17_A_new_season_starts.html

Skate Canada:
http://www.landvetterkk.com/Kristoffer/My_thoughts/Entries/2010/11/1_Skate_Canada.html I'm so happy that he thinks the Canadian audience was great! :cheer2:

Ice Challenge:
http://www.landvetterkk.com/Kristoffer/My_thoughts/Entries/2010/11/14_Ice_Challenge_1.html Poor guy; on top of having a poor free skate, a thief stole money from his wallet! :wideeyes:

siberia82
11-21-2010, 01:17 AM
I've been looking at the newly-posted SP results from the Merano Cup, and Kristoffer's PCS for this segment has been steadily dropping as the season progresses:

Finlandia --- 34.40
Skate Canada --- 32.17
Ice Challenge --- 30.67
Merano Cup --- 29.42

Either prolonged fatigue has affected his performance ability (it seems like he's burning the candle at both ends with his Master's thesis and part-time job), and/or he's losing favour with the judges. There is a similar trend with his LP PCS, although we still have to wait and see what will happen tomorrow for the second part of the competition.

I've observed that Kris has received an edge call for his 3F in the SP at every event except SC (where he fell on the attempt), which is a bit odd because that jump is fine when he performs it in the free skate. For the short, he does do a bit of footwork beforehand, so I don't know if that might influence how he takes off on the flip.

If Koffe was skating only for himself and the fans, then I'd stop being anxious, but he has stated on SkateSweden.se that his goal for this season is to make the World team and place higher than 9th in Tokyo: http://iof2.idrottonline.se/templates/NewsPage.aspx?id=5474 I'll always hope for the best, of course, but right now, it's likely he'll get crushed at the Swedish Nationals if his skating doesn't improve soon. :fragile:

siberia82
11-21-2010, 10:58 PM
So, um, have any of you Koffeholics checked out the protocols for Kristoffer's LP at the Merano Cup? :shuffle: I'm stunned to the point of being speechless, and I don't mean that in a good way. :eek: :yikes: :wideeyes: When the shock wears off, and I'll try to post something more coherent.

ioana
11-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Well, the only triple jump he landed cleanly was the 3 axel according to the protocols. Everything else had negative GOE's for the jumps. It would be hard to justify massive PCS for that type of performance....Hopefully he starts skating cleanly again -sooner rather than later- because the judges don't seem to be in any rush to hold him up.