PDA

View Full Version : 2010 ISU Congress Agenda is online - discuss!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

flyingsit
05-01-2010, 12:29 AM
The men also must pick either camel or sit for their flying spin in the SP and do the other position for their change foot single position spin. IIRC, many of the men have iffy camel spins, so this should be interesting to see :yikes:.

THIS is what I've wanted ever since COP came into play. I am so. freaking. tired. of seeing the men do a deathdrop, a sit-change-sit, and a combo spin with *just* two revolutions in a camel before dropping into a sit.

Ziggy
05-01-2010, 12:37 AM
THIS is what I've wanted ever since COP came into play. I am so. freaking. tired. of seeing the men do a deathdrop, a sit-change-sit, and a combo spin with *just* two revolutions in a camel before dropping into a sit.

That is a great change, yep! :cheer:

Some of those guys are finally going to have to start learning camel spins. It's really :rolleyes: not to be able to perform it properly at the Senior level.

overedge
05-01-2010, 01:06 AM
The increasingly high number of entries in ISU Championships constitutes a serious challenge and threat, both to the organizing ISU Members and the ISU. It results in high expenses and has already threatened the appropriate financial funding and consequently organization and conduct of ISU Championships. It furthermore makes it basically impossible to stage attractive Championships with high quality skating and a reasonable duration which nowadays is crucial for live TV telecast and for attracting the public on site.

The "threats" to financial viability are from the ISU's mismanagement of its funds, its overinflated ideas of what its product is worth on TV, and from the high-flying spending of its executives. Not from smaller federations wanting to have entries at ISU events.

Besides, wasn't it just a few years ago that $peedy et al were handing out "developmental funds" to get new member federations to join the ISU (and vote for $peedy's ideas at the ISU congress :EVILLE:)? So now because of all these new members there are too many entries at ISU events. Good planning, ISU!!

SamuraiK
05-01-2010, 01:57 AM
Im 50/50 with the new championship format rules ...

I must say I hated Q rounds back in the day but this new format doesn't sound so bad. The top skaters dont get dragged into it and lots of small federation skaters get the chance to perform both their Free and Short Program, even if the former only as a qualifier, but still they gain experience and that's why they go to those competitions, no one expects any medals from them. Only 30 skaters for the short program is not enought though, I would have had it at 36.

barbk
05-01-2010, 02:33 AM
207, 208, and 209. Denmark/Finland/Sweden: All Skaters entered for ISU Championships must have participated in at least one International junior or senior competition on the ISU list during the 24 months preceding the Championships.

I'm fine with this for the World Championships, but it seems unnecessary for Euros or 4CCs (especially if they just put in the number of entrants rule for 4CC that Euros have), and it seems downright unhelpful for Jr. Worlds.

If the rule is passed, I would anticipate an increase in the number of Senior Bs.

LilJen
05-01-2010, 02:34 AM
274. SPS TC: Pairs Free Skate. For Seniors the death spiral of Free Skating must be of a different type than the death spiral of the Short Program. No more than 1 spiral sequence.
The jump combination may consist of two (2) or three (3) jumps.
There must be at least two (2) spiral positions of each partner three (3) seconds long each. In case this requirement is not fulfilled, the spiral sequence will have no value.
The Spiral Sequence will always be awarded a fixed Base Value and evaluated by Judges in GOE only.

How can they put so many disparate elements into a single proposal? Very weird.

Also: What is the difference between the "Pattern Dance" and the "Short Dance"? Is the Pattern Dance just a new name for a CD? Will dancers have to have THREE different brand new programs created every dang year? What is the point of this? They should have just said "drop the CD for the major championship events," since that's what appears to be the intent. But now they have to created two "new" events?

Debbie S
05-01-2010, 02:42 AM
Thank you for doing all these summaries, HisWeirness!

207, 208, and 209. Denmark/Finland/Sweden: All Skaters entered for ISU Championships must have participated in at least one International junior or senior competition on the ISU list during the 24 months preceding the Championships. I don't like that. Under that rule, (I think) Denney/Barrett wouldn't have been able to go to Worlds last year (09). And I don't think Agnes Zawadzki would have been able to go to JW this year, right?

This could have a chilling effect on new pairs and dance teams, esp at the Junior level. There are enough barriers to developing pairs teams as it is, I don't think the ISU needs to make it more difficult.

Not being able to perform in Juniors after performing twice in SeniorsIs this the Ashley Wagner rule? ;) I think the idea is good, but the restriction should take effect the following season. So a skater could compete on the GP and go to JW in the same season, but that would be their last Junior comp. As it is being proposed, it would make things difficult for smaller countries.

gkelly
05-01-2010, 03:36 AM
Is this the Ashley Wagner rule?

Oh, skaters competing at Junior Worlds after competing in senior championships or fall events has a long history. I bet you can find several examples every year since whenever (1980s?) they raised the junior upper age limit from 16 to 18/19. So I wouldn't name it after any one skater.

And what happens to skaters who were 14 as of July 1 and allowed to compete on the GP or in senior B events but not at ISU championships. If they don't change that age overlap, then it won't be worth it for those skaters to do (two) senior fall competitions, even if they were undefeated in juniors the previous year.

Tammi
05-01-2010, 03:39 AM
Also: What is the difference between the "Pattern Dance" and the "Short Dance"?Pattern dance replaces "compuslory". Short Dance is the new combination of a pattern dance and required elements set to a theme or rhythm.

Will dancers have to have THREE different brand new programs created every dang year?No. All dance events will consist of 2 segments depending on their level. Novice and below will still skate a pattern dance and a free dance. Junior and Senior will skate a short dance and a free dance. The only teams that would need to have 3 different programs, are those that are competing at both the junior and senior level.

What is the point of this?Instead of dropping either the CD or the OD to bring dance in line with the 2 event format, they just combined them into one 2 minute, 50 second "short dance". For this season, it's been reported that the Juniors will need to incorporate 2 consecutive patters on the Viennese Waltz into the choreography for the short dance. Seniors will need to incorporate 1 pattern of the Golden Waltz. That's in addition to the required elements. Teams select their own music and it's been discussed in another thread that the ISU is hoping for a Dancing with the Stars type of format to attract more casual fans to that segment of the ice dance event.

In a kind of related vein, US Figure Skating is introducing a proposal to change one of the compulsories for the Juvenile, Intermediate and Novice level. Starting next season, teams at that level will be able to select their own music for one of the compulsories drawn.

OlieRow
05-01-2010, 03:51 AM
In a kind of related vein, US Figure Skating is introducing a proposal to change one of the compulsories for the Juvenile, Intermediate and Novice level. Starting next season, teams at that level will be able to select their own music for one of the compulsories drawn.

But they'll do the same patterns as they do now?

Tammi
05-01-2010, 03:59 AM
But they'll do the same patterns as they do now?Yes, same exact pattern, just using their own music instead of what's currently being provided for them. I think it's being proposed to help prepare the younger levels for this new ISU short dance.

casken
05-01-2010, 04:16 AM
Thanks for clarifying Tammi.

Visaliakid
05-01-2010, 05:05 AM
Many thanks to HisWeirness for the lengthy synopsis of the proposals in his several posts. I have downloaded and saved the .pdf files for personal reading at leisure, but getting a general overview as he presented was most beneficial. Much appreciated for sure.

kwanfan1818
05-01-2010, 05:09 AM
213. Austria FS: In view of the fact that the number of entries to the Olympic Games is limited, the qualification should be based on the names of the competitors, who actually placed within the top 24 in singles and 16 in pairs and 19 in dance at the previous World Championships and not the country. The right to participate in the Olympics should be privilege of the athletes and not their Member Associations.

That would mean Nationals the year before the Olympics determines the potential Olympic team, and the Olympic team is determined at Worlds before the Olympics if a country qualifies Olympic spots at the prior Worlds. This doesn't address whether a skater who qualifies through the Olympic qualifier in the fall before the Olympics earns the spot for him/her/their self/ves.

In view of the fact that the number of entries to Championships is limited under these proposals, there are actually more guaranteed spots in the Olympics (24 for singles, 16 for Pairs, 19 for Dance than for Championships (20 for singles, 12 for pairs, 12/15 for dance in Euros/4C's or Worlds) and more overall spots in the Olympics than for Euros and 4C's (30 vs. 28 for singles, 20 vs. 18 for pairs, 24 vs. 20 for dance). Why doesn't the proposal just require all of the slots to go to specific skaters vs. countries?

Nmsis
05-01-2010, 06:37 AM
I love that France is trying to think of ways to bring in cash, but if online gambling of skating events becomes standard than I fear for my financial well being. :lol:
Figure skating wouldn't be a betting event. :P
On-line bets about sports were forbidden in France. But the EU has asked the governement to liberalize the sector. So there are big operations and talks and the market should gain life for the football world cup. It would approximatively represent 250 millions in sponsoring for sports in France. And if the football, rugby, tennis and a few other federations are expected to get the biggest part of the cake, other federations are lining up too to get a little slice. ( Woof ! :dog: )

OTOH, sports with grades are considered too "manipulable" :skandal and won't be the subject of bets (that includes gymnastics, figure skating, some events of horse-riding ...).
But the french fed is also governing speed skating (and even curling) which does fit the criterias. As developping speed skating has been required from the french fed (by the press, by the sport minister) after Vancouver, it would fit perfectly, especially as Gailhaguet has made moves to make some bridge with roller in line skaters, both for speed and figure skating. And there is a project to build a speed skating rink in Annecy (France doesn't have any). Gailhaguet and whoever will be in power after June should therefore become very interested in speed skating to bring a nice bit of extra money to the FFSG.