PDA

View Full Version : Kwan on Kim for Time 2010 Most Influential

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

shallwedansu
04-29-2010, 07:06 PM
I realize there is a thread on this in the Trash Can, but I thought since Yu-Na has officially made the list and there is an accompanying piece from Michelle, it would make for a new topic. My bad if it was a bad decision. :o

Full List (http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1984685,00.html)

Heroes: Kim Yu-Na (http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1984685_1984949_1985220,00.html#ixzz0mURk9 S4v)
By Michelle Kwan:

I couldn't have been more surprised or honored last summer when Korean figure skater Kim Yu-Na told me that as a 7-year-old, she was so inspired by my skating at the 1998 Winter Games that she memorized my skating routines, pretending to be at the Olympics. Twelve years later, she no longer had to pretend. I have never seen a skater with such a combination of artistry and athleticism. From the first notes of her sassy James Bond medley to the closing Gershwin strains, Kim's inspiring performances in Vancouver changed the face of figure skating forever. Those 6 minutes on the ice left not only a mark in the record book but also an indelible impression on millions of young girls around the world. For Kim, the dream that began as a 7-year-old has been realized. For these girls, thanks to her, a dream and journey are just beginning.

Kwan is the most decorated figure skater in U.S. history

Under the Influence (http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1984685_1985638_1985639,00.html) (Time)

The TIME 100 is not about the influence of power but the power of influence.

The 2010 TIME 100 boasts some innovations too. We have multiple covers, wrapping front and back around the magazine. We've consolidated the list into four categories leaders, artists, thinkers and heroes. We sent one photographer, Marco Grob, roaming the world to shoot a dozen luminous portraits of our honorees for the cover and the pages inside.

There's also a 100 least influential list (http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1984685_1985389_1985284,00.html) if you're interested. :shuffle:

barbk
04-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks for posting this. Kwan has some very nice phrasing.

Garden Kitty
04-29-2010, 10:26 PM
What a gracious quote from Michelle. And she accurately touches on the impact that Yu Na can have on the young skaters watching her

cem
04-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Kwan=class

skatingfan5
04-29-2010, 11:07 PM
What a gracious and accurate quote from Michelle.

Kwan=classAgree with both of you.

However, while Michelle herself can truthfully say of Yu Na "I have never seen a skater with such a combination of artistry and athleticism" this Kwan fan would have to tell her "that's because you never saw your own unique combination of artistry and athleticism". Even if she had been able to sit in the stands and see herself at 1998 World Pros, 2000, 2001 Worlds or 1998, 2003, or 2004 Nationals to name a few, she would likely downplay how wonderful her skating really was.

attyfan
04-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Very nice.

tarotx
04-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Perhaps we can separate the Kwan quote and the fact that Yu Na made the influential list into two separate threads? :P

Congrats Yu Na :)
Super cool that they got Yu Na's Idol, the sublime Michelle, to write her paragraph!

orbitz
04-29-2010, 11:27 PM
To say that Kim's performances at Vacouver "changed the face of figure skating forever" is a little bit OTT. How did those performances changed figure skating?

RunnersHigh
04-29-2010, 11:39 PM
Agree with both of you.

However, while Michelle herself can truthfully say of Yu Na "I have never seen a skater with such a combination of artistry and athleticism" this Kwan fan would have to tell her "that's because you never saw your own unique combination of artistry and athleticism". Even if she had been able to sit in the stands and see herself at 1998 World Pros, 2000, 2001 Worlds or 1998, 2003, or 2004 Nationals to name a few, she would likely downplay how wonderful her skating really was.

ITA.
You know? For Yu-Na, Kwan has been the most influential since at age 7 and will be for a while or forever. And her sweet congratulatory message to Yu-Na... I'm sure that's why People(including me) call her "Kwan the Kween". :swoon:

rfisher
04-29-2010, 11:41 PM
To say that Kim's performances at Vacouver "changed the face of figure skating forever" is a little bit OTT. How did those performances changed figure skating?

Because it was a nice thing for MK to say and a nice thing to be in print. Sometimes a statement is just nice and not a critique.

wRECkSk8r
04-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Whether the comment about the Olympic performances was over the top or not ~ after reading through the Weir vs. Lysacek thread, it was very refreshing to read one legend lifting up and honoring a legend-in-the-making. :shuffle:

Love her or hate her, Michelle has always conducted herself in a classy, mature manner and this article brings that to light.

Michelle Kwan + Yu Na Kim = class.

shallwedansu
04-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Perhaps we can separate the Kwan quote and the fact that Yu Na made the influential list into two separate threads? :P

One for the Kwan ubers and one for the Yuna ubers? :lol:

Whether the comment about the Olympic performances was over the top or not ~ after reading through the Weir vs. Lysacek thread, it was very refreshing to read one legend lifting up and honoring a legend-in-the-making. :shuffle:

Love her or hate her, Michelle has always conducted herself in a classy, mature manner and this article brings that to light.

Michelle Kwan + Yu Na Kim = class.
:respec: Like you said, it's very refreshing to read uplifting comments among skaters after all the Evan and Johnny :argue: this week.

RunnersHigh
04-30-2010, 12:52 AM
BTW, is Yu-Na the first figure skater in the list?

I found that the list was first published in 1999 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_100) but couldn't find other figure skaters in the list.
Correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

Some info from the wikipedia.

Listed eight times
Oprah Winfrey (2004~2010, & the 20th century)
Listed five times
Hillary Rodham Clinton, Steve Jobs, Barack Obama
Listed four times
George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George Clooney, Bill Gates, Hu Jintao, Condoleezza Rice
Listed three times
Pope Benedict XVI, Tenzin Gyatso(Dalai Lama), Nelson Mandela, Angela Merkel , Rupert Murdoch

iarispiralllyof
04-30-2010, 01:11 AM
yay for yuna.

key65man
04-30-2010, 02:15 AM
Because it was a nice thing for MK to say and a nice thing to be in print. Sometimes a statement is just nice and not a critique.

Not meant to be critical at all. However, if I may, Kween's remark could be more than a praise for an occasion. Champions are role-models in a sense that kids learn from them -- be it about technique, style, etc. They influence the figure skaters of next generation. If Yuna embodies certain qualities, those qualities will be emulated by the young skaters, and her accomplishment at the biggest stage does amplify the influence.

Of course, it is not really about the color of the medal but about performance as it was Michelle Yuna tried to emulate -- you still see a good deal of Michelle in Yuna's skating. Yuna's performance might have inspired a few as Michelle's did Yuna.