PDA

View Full Version : Kwan on Kim for Time 2010 Most Influential

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

barbk
04-30-2010, 10:19 PM
While I believe the feelings and thoughts reflected in the quote are sincere, I'd bet 25 bucks that the quote was written or highly edited by someone other than MK. She's a smart and I'm sure deep-thinking woman, but there is nothing I've ever heard her say that leads me to believe she can be that eloquent without a lot of help.

Any number of people are more eloquent in writing than they are orally.

MOIJTO
04-30-2010, 10:34 PM
:duh:

IceJunkie
04-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Any number of people are more eloquent in writing than they are orally.

For real. I am one of them. When I'm speaking or just talking, I have a tendency to never know what to say, or when I do, it just comes out wrong. When I'm writing I have much more time and freedom to carefully construct what I am trying to say. I consider myself to be a good writer.

Michelle is a grad student at a great school. I certainly would hope most grad students, especially in her field, can write well. Besides, what MK wrote wasn't exactly jaw-dropping, amazing writing. It was coherent, congratulatory and well executed. If she needed "a lot of help" with writing a couple paragraphs about how great Yu-Na Kim's skating is, I'd hate to see her write a 10 page report about Sino-Australian relations. :shuffle:

iarispiralllyof
04-30-2010, 11:10 PM
While I believe the feelings and thoughts reflected in the quote are sincere, I'd bet 25 bucks that the quote was written or highly edited by someone other than MK. She's a smart and I'm sure deep-thinking woman, but there is nothing I've ever heard her say that leads me to believe she can be that eloquent without a lot of help.

You have got to be kidding me. First of all Michelle may have come off as awkward throughout her figure skating reign because she was usually (mostly) part time student - part time olympic level athlete, she didn't have as much time to interact socially as others did. Yet she still kept up her grades and attended UCLA for one year. So while she might have come off as awkward in some interviews, it doesn't mean she doesn't have the capacity to be eloquent.

Secondly, as others have said writing and speaking publically are extremely different things.

Thirdly, the passage in question isn't even that complicated - it's heaps of praise in a sport that Kwan knows well. You must think incredibly lowly of her to think she can't come up with something like that on her own. In fact, although she makes specific references to Yuna's achievements, her words of praise don't sound entirely different to the praise given to michelle during her reign or other top-level skaters. It's almost cliched. Whoa - "changed the face of the sport", "such a combination of athleticism and artistry"!!! omg those words have never been uttered before O_O

What's more, when Kwan eventually left the sport in 2006, she finally had time to focus full time on her studies and get her BA. And then she was accepted into a graduate program at Tufts, which is not some easy smeazy university. Graduate programs are NOT a joke, regardless of whether or not she's a famous athlete.

She would've easily matured and developed her skills academically throughout these past few years since she's no longer had to deal with the immense stress of staying on top of a sport long past her teens and her getting into a grad program shows her seriousness when it comes to education.

Sorry for overreacting, but seriously!

icedance21
04-30-2010, 11:31 PM
What a nasty little comment.

Mathman
05-01-2010, 02:04 AM
To say that Kim's performances at Vacouver "changed the face of figure skating forever" is a little bit OTT. How did those performances changed figure skating?

You could look at it this way. Yu-na Kim's face is the "new face of figure skating," replacing the "former face of figure skating," Michelle's. :)

euneri
05-01-2010, 04:34 AM
To say that Kim's performances at Vacouver "changed the face of figure skating forever" is a little bit OTT. How did those performances changed figure skating?

maybe because now people can put a face to the new era of figure skating

eta: lol, i just realised i pretty much repeated what mathman said above

RunnersHigh
05-01-2010, 07:19 AM

Then you might spill the money.

OliviaPug
05-01-2010, 07:32 AM
Congratulations to Yuna. What a nice honor for her. And what a nice quote from Kwan.

I have heard Kwan speak recently, and she has become quite an eloquent public speaker. She has a warm, engaging presence, and (now) a commanding delivery. I have no doubt she is capable of writing something of this nature.

[With all that can be said about Kim's honor and Michelle's recognition of it, commenting on Kwan's writing ability has to be the most irrelevent, mean-spirited, and ridiculous post in this thread.]

O-

jaws12345
05-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Maobots swarming in again... it's gotta be maobots, judging from the familiar style of bashing; totally irrelevant, tedious, inflammatory, and persistent. And what do you know, checking their previous posts confirms just that. Are they seriously bashing Kwan's writing skill now, because she praised Yuna? Unbelievable. Just how low can they get? Leave Michelle and Yuna alone, and go eat your rubbish in Trash can or Youtube where you belong. This is a cheer thread for Yuna and Michelle, their class and their respect for each other.

RunnersHigh
05-01-2010, 01:36 PM
^As you know there has been always one or more gatecrashers.
And what they want is to let people digress from the main subject and/or to make people sick of threads on a specific skater.

Let's wait and see. They will have to pay for this.

query5
05-01-2010, 03:42 PM
sometimes --i dont know how to answer until a few minutes later or the next day-when it is put on paper .

invierno
05-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Wow, Yuna actually made the list!! Congratulations, Yuna!! Yeah, she is at least influential enough to make me buy the competition tickets:P And I know I'd have bought the ice show tickets if only I'd been in Korea.
I'm very happy for her!!
I don't think Michelle needs any help in writing that tribute when it is her job to write tons of papers and thesis as a grad student. Beautiful writing from the Kween! It is so nice to see that there is mutually admiring society going on between them.:)

WindSpirit
05-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Maobots swarming in again... Remember this post (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2727776)? You're getting a vacation now, use it well to think it over if you want to stay at FSU or not.

Because if you come back and start this shit again, even one more time, you're gone forever. That's it. Your very last chance.

leon
05-03-2010, 05:45 PM
See link: Yuna paying forward (2010-05-02 Yonhap) (http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1286/6264247/23141435/386636027.jpg)
Those 6 minutes on the ice left not only a mark in the record book but also an indelible impression on millions of young girls around the world. For Kim, the dream that began as a 7-year-old has been realized. For these girls, thanks to her, a dream and journey are just beginning. - Michelle Kwan in TIME Magazine