PDA

View Full Version : Who is in charge here?? USFSA take charge!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

zaphyre14
05-04-2010, 03:11 PM
COI was sanctioned by USFS (Tom Collins was a big sponsor for them).

SOI has never been sanctioned as a whole by USFS. Eligible skaters have had to obtain individual performance sanctions to appear in it. AFAIK, USFS doesn't gain anything (other than indirect publicity) from US skaters appearing in SOI.

Frau Muller
05-04-2010, 08:55 PM
COI was sanctioned by USFS (Tom Collins was a big sponsor for them).

SOI has never been sanctioned as a whole by USFS. ....

But SOI acquired COI, non? If so, by default, USFSA endorses SOI.

Prancer
05-04-2010, 09:12 PM
But SOI acquired COI, non? If so, by default, USFSA endorses SOI.

:confused:

How does work, exactly? Unless there was some sort of contractual agreement between USFS and COI that carried over--which seems unlikely for several reasons--there would be no default relationships between SOI and the USFS.

Polymer Bob
05-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Really, the only skater that ever got gold medal treatment without a Gold Medal was Michelle Kwan . . . .

Michelle has no gold medals? :confused:

I don't know all the private discussions and private arguments, but if Johnny was the only U.S. Olympian not invited to SOI, there is something wrong with that. Somebody has an agenda. I attended the COI event in Hartford, CT in April of 2006. I have quite a few pictures. Both Johnny and Evan were there, and were quite enjoyable.

That show had quite a cast. Evgeni, Tanith and Ben, Irina, Sasha, Kimmie, Michelle, the Russian Pair that won the gold.

barbk
05-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Michelle has no gold medals? :confused:

I don't know all the private discussions and private arguments, but if Johnny was the only U.S. Olympian not invited to SOI, there is something wrong with that. Somebody has an agenda. .

Well, of course someone has an agenda. Presumably, the tour operators want to make money, which is a pretty powerful agenda indeed. They don't have any legal or moral obligation to invite Johnny to participate -- this isn't like a birthday party for a six-year-old where you have to make sure to invite either very few kids from the class or all of them.

There have been a number of hypotheses about why Johnny wasn't invited, and I doubt we'll really be privy to "the real" answer until someone chooses to write a book or a memoir. Maybe the person in charge of hiring doesn't like Johnny's skating. Maybe they take issues with his diva qualities. Maybe they felt that they already had enough guys. Maybe they felt their audiences wouldn't respond favorably to him.

It would be one thing if the USFSA organized the tour -- then leaving out precisely one of the medalists would appear unfair. But this isn't a USFSA organized tour, and life isn't necessarily fair.

judiz
05-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Whatever the reason, Johnny has fans who have been known to fly in from Japan just to watch him skate in one show. His American fans travel to other countries to watch him in the grand prix events. Like it or not, Johnny has a built in audience and that audience would contribute to the bottom line financially of SOI. I still say SOI messed up big time when they didn't ask Johnny to appear in the shows in the New Jersey area (where he now lives) and in Philadelphia (where he grew up and still has family.).

barbk
05-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Whatever the reason, Johnny has fans who have been known to fly in from Japan just to watch him skate in one show. His American fans travel to other countries to watch him in the grand prix events. Like it or not, Johnny has a built in audience and that audience would contribute to the bottom line financially of SOI. I still say SOI messed up big time when they didn't ask Johnny to appear in the shows in the New Jersey area (where he now lives) and in Philadelphia (where he grew up and still has family.).

You may be right. Though, if I were an uber-fan willing to fly in from Japan, I'd really hope to see him skate more than one routine.

But, it is SOI's choice, and they didn't make it. Johnny's fans could always start a skating tour, right?

gkelly
05-05-2010, 12:36 AM
Well, SOI may have made a poor decision by not inviting him over the winter to guest appearances with the tour.

But Weir made a bigger mistake by actively and/or tacitly encouraging the press to paint SOI as discriminatory and for boycotts to be called against their main sponsor.

If Ashley Wagner or Denney and Barrett had started painting SOI as a villain to the press because they weren't invited initially, they wouldn't have been added later either.

Prancer
05-05-2010, 02:45 AM
Whatever the reason, Johnny has fans who have been known to fly in from Japan just to watch him skate in one show. His American fans travel to other countries to watch him in the grand prix events. Like it or not, Johnny has a built in audience and that audience would contribute to the bottom line financially of SOI.

Maybe, maybe not. How many people are going to travel long distances to see SOI just because Johnny is in the show? There would have to be a lot to make it worth SOI's while to hire Johnny just on the strength of those people. There is no doubt that Johnny has a fan base, but most of the skaters have a fan base, and SOI has a fan base all its own for which the skaters themselves are incidental. Some people just like ice skating shows.

The question isn't whether Johnny has a fan base, or if there are people who would come to see him; sure there are, just as there are people who go just to see other skaters. The question is, would Johnny pull in so many more people that it really would affect the bottom line?

I know a lot of people believe that he would, but I have never seen any evidence that this is so. I think that if SOI really believed that Johnny could make a lot of money for them, they would overlook whatever it is that they don't like about him. That's what happens in business.

Yazmeen
05-05-2010, 02:47 AM

Well, first off, there was no Philadelphia show this year. And while Johnny does have a "built in" audience, it's hard to say if that would have made any serious financial difference to SOI. SOI is a business, and they chose not to invite Johnny, which like it or not, is their right. And Johnny exploiting this lack of invitation for all is is worth and then claiming he'd never skate for them any way only makes one person look petty and small, and it ain't anyone associated with SOI.

Polymer Bob
05-05-2010, 12:30 PM
This all makes sense. But why WASN'T Johnny invited? :confused:

Rainbow
05-05-2010, 01:11 PM
This all makes sense. But why WASN'T Johnny invited? :confused:

Maybe you`ll find out, when the book is out:

[...] says Weir. "I want to be very honest and frank about the politics of figure skating, the people and the behind-the-scenes dealings I've had. And [it's about] different relationships, whether it be a family member or someone I lost my virginity to," he adds with a laugh.

Link to full article:
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20365915,00.html

rfisher
05-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Fortunately, I won't have to waste money on the book since I'm certain it will be quoted extensively here on FSU. I wouldn't deem it coupon worthy.

zaphyre14
05-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Don't worry; I'm sure the book will show up in the Bargain Bins and flea market tables pretty quickly, just like Tonya Harding's and Jon Jackson's did. Great literature, it ain't gonna be.

rfisher
05-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Don't worry; I'm sure the book will show up in the Bargain Bins and flea market tables pretty quickly, just like Tonya Harding's and Jon Jackson's did. Great literature, it ain't gonna be.

Yeah. I hope he's not counting on his royalties to keep him in the lifestyle he wishes to obtain. :lol: