PDA

View Full Version : Norton Security Suite - any thoughts?

Pages : [1] 2

Debbie S
04-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Comcast is no longer offering the free McAfee package to its Internet customers. :( Now they are offering Norton Security Suite. By May 12, I either have to download and use that or renew a subscription durectly with McAfee. Obviously, free would be my first choice ;), but I had a Norton Anti-Virus package before and it seemed to cause conflicts with just about everything, so I ended up uninstalling it. And I've heard about others' bad experiences with Norton for one reason or another.

Any thoughts on the latest Norton package? Does it work OK? Easy to use and problem-free? This Comcast change also affects my mom, and she is not great with technology, so any anti-virus software on her computer needs to be problem-free, and no odd pop-ups with sales messages or anything (which may be a problem with McAfee).

Aceon6
04-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Personally, I think both are bloatware. CNET recommends AVG or Avast, both of which are free. Also, this article (http://www.cnet.com/8301-31361_1-20003722-254.html?tag=mncol) indicates that Microsoft Security Essentials may be just fine for most folks.

Sassafras
04-29-2010, 03:47 PM
^^^^What Aceon said. I use Avast and SUPER AntiSpyware and love them. I'll never use Norton or McAfee again.The computer ran much faster when the McAfee was removed.

mikey
04-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Don't use Norton or McAfee. Both companies are very good at marketing, but their products suck. I recommend AVG (it is free).

mysticchic
04-29-2010, 05:00 PM
I had a tech tell me that Norton and the other is a waste of money and is worse then having a viris. Also both report back things about your use of the computer. I use spybot search and destroy and AVG. Never have a problem with them.

DubbalinGirl
04-29-2010, 05:56 PM
I lost two hard drives (and all the data) to viruses Norton/Symantec didn't catch. I now use AVG, and have for 2+ years. I paid up for the paid version because it offered even more support and security features. What the tech who rebuilt my PC the last time said is AVG is smaller and not as bureaucratic, so they get virus files out faster than either McAfee or Symantec. Plus, I found Symantec to be a system hog, it takes up a lot of resources to run, slowing everything else down.

Debbie S
04-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback. I think I'm going to look into downloading the Microsoft package this weekend. That seems to be the easiest thing to do and should be simple enough for my mom.

michiruwater
04-30-2010, 03:32 PM
I bought the full version of AVG cause I loved the free version so much. It's fabs.

Norton and McAfee both just kind of suck. EMU made me use McAfee for a while and it really slowed down everything horribly.

Really
05-01-2010, 02:30 AM
Some tech geeks I know swear by Kaspersky too.

temujin
05-01-2010, 02:48 AM
Norton's 2010 edition is a good security suite. Last years edition was good too, after many years of mediocre protection and really slowing your PC down. Check out reviews at
http://www.av-test.org/

Kapersky and AVG also got good marks this year.

In addition I also like Super Antispyware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Both are available as free versions.

Trend Micro used to be a good suite, but their malware detection technology has not kept up with the better performing suites.

Really
05-01-2010, 03:26 AM
TrendMicro also tends to be a resource hog...

tracylynn
05-01-2010, 06:55 AM
I wished I would have known about Trend earlier. I bought it since Best Buys was recommending it because McAfee was causing a lot of problems. My experience with Trend so far have be unpleasant. It updates every two hours and makes my computer go extremely slow when it does its update. Agh!! I think I will go elsewhere for protection.

beepbeep
05-01-2010, 05:43 PM
I fully agree with the majority here: Norton and McAfee just take over the computer. It takes forever to start up and makes the computer really slow. I wonder if having a virus is that uich worse than having one of those.
Avast is another one that just takes over the machine.

I tried the evaluation versions of NOD32 and Kaspersky.
Kaspersky is good, but a little too paranoid to my taste: it thought acrord32.exe and winamp.exe were virus... :duh:
I really liked NOD32 and I'm considering buying the full version.

I too have at the moment free AVG and Spybot, and it's working pretty well.

myhoneyhoney
05-01-2010, 06:03 PM
I've been using free AVG for years and have never had a problem. I'm actually thinking up upgrading my AVG...

Carolla5501
05-01-2010, 09:05 PM
the problem is OP has McAfee on her computer.... GOOD LUCK getting it off, it's a NIGHTMARE to uninstall. I didn't even take the "Free" that came with my service because of past expereince in trying to get McAfee off. (it's worse then Norton IMHO)

I do use AVG and it seems to work.