PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Coast FSUers, Potential Oil Spill On Shore?

Pages : [1] 2 3

skatemommy
04-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Hi all, can any of our Gulf Coasters update us on the potential oil slick coming on shore? This seems really serious, I hear that setting it on fire is an option? Worried for you again.

GarrAarghHrumph
04-30-2010, 01:10 AM
The spill should begin to hit coastal Louisiana tonight. Updates here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8652686.stm

Does not look good.

GarrAarghHrumph
04-30-2010, 01:17 AM
This piece in the NY Times explains why this event has just suddenly gone from "Oh, shoot," to "OMFG!!!!!!"

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/04/29/us/politics/AP-US-Oil-Spill-What-Went-Wrong.html?_r=1

Suddenly, everything changed. For days, as an oil spill spread in the Gulf of Mexico, BP assured the government the plume was manageable, not catastrophic. Federal authorities were content to let the company handle the mess while keeping an eye on the operation.

But then government scientists realized the leak was five times larger than they had been led to believe, and days of lulling statistics and reassuring words gave way Thursday to an all-hands-on-deck emergency response. Now questions are sure to be raised about a self-policing system that trusted a commercial operator to take care of its own mishap even as it grew into a menace imperiling Gulf Coast nature and livelihoods from Florida to Texas.

On Monday, Landry offered assurances that the Gulf Coast should be safe. ''This is ample time to protect sensitive areas and prepare for cleanup should the oil impact this area,'' she said. And at sea, BP officials were ''doing their best.''

On Wednesday night, she reported the findings of federal experts that up to 5,000 barrels a day were leaking from the well. BP had estimated only 1,000. As well, the company told the Coast Guard a new leak had been found.

skatemommy
04-30-2010, 01:26 AM
I see now that BP is paying any and all shrimp boats to go out and place booms in the water. God help the coast there. Oysters absorb oil and will be decimated.

BigB08822
04-30-2010, 02:13 AM
I know everyone around here is really worried. The seafood business his huge around here, a lot of people's lives are at stake! Then all the poor wildlife that could be affected. I am reading all sorts of numbers. I read an article that said 5000 barrels a day are leaking, then another which said 11,000 and today I read one that said 200,000! I chose to believe that last one was a BIG mistake.

Lacey
04-30-2010, 02:21 AM
What a tragedy, and it was all happening in slow motion.

LadyNit
04-30-2010, 08:48 AM
I'm really sorry for all the financial hardship this will cause. And the potential environmental damage and suffering to wildlife is heartbreaking.

GarrAarghHrumph
04-30-2010, 02:39 PM
BP is on the hook for this, financially.

The problem with the booms is that the water has been so choppy, the waves have been going up and over the booms, carrying the oil with it. Weather conditions haven't been helping - they're the reason why they weren't able to proceed with the controlled burn they'd tested.

skatemommy
04-30-2010, 10:53 PM
The state of Florida is declaring an emergency. The weather is a "perfect storm" of the worst kind. Storms are causing tides to surge and push the oil even further. BP says it will pay to clean it up :rolleyes:

BigB08822
04-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Apparently the weather has been awful. Not just in the sense of storms or anything but there has been a very consistent and strong wind from the south east. I think this is part of the reason that they couldn't burn more than they did because the smoke would all come on shore. I imagine the strong winds also pushed the oil slick to shore faster.

Simone411
04-30-2010, 11:19 PM
I've been watching updates on the Weather Channel. The winds are still anywhere from the 20 mph to 30 mph range. That may not sound like strong winds, but it's enough to prevent them from being able to burn the oil. It doesn't look good for the economy or the seafood and fishing industry and that's the only kind of business that most of the people know on the Louisiana shores.

Allskate
04-30-2010, 11:57 PM
BP is on the hook for this, financially.

They're on the hook for the money the government is spending to clean it up and handle the fire. I hope they'll also be on the hook for all the financial damage the oil spill will cause. Louisiana shrimpers just sued BP and Halliburton. It sounds like Halliburton was a subcontractor for BP and may have caused the disaster. Louisiana has been hit hard the last several years. I hope Louisiana doesn't have to pay all the costs for the damage caused by these companies. Let's hope the damage to the environment isn't irreparable.

And whoever lied to the authorities about the severity of the spill and therefore caused the delay in responding to it more aggressively should be thrown in jail and forced into bankruptcy themselves.

flyingsit
05-01-2010, 12:34 AM
The state of Florida is declaring an emergency. The weather is a "perfect storm" of the worst kind. Storms are causing tides to surge and push the oil even further. BP says it will pay to clean it up :rolleyes:

BP doesn't have a choice. Legally (after Exxon Valdez) they are required to.

BigB08822
05-01-2010, 01:36 AM
Isn't a company called Transocean in big trouble? I think I read that they were responsible for some safety switch that failed. I am sure someone will sue them, as well.

GarrAarghHrumph
05-01-2010, 01:39 AM
And whoever lied to the authorities about the severity of the spill and therefore caused the delay in responding to it more aggressively should be thrown in jail and forced into bankruptcy themselves.

My impression is that no one did lie - additional knowledge was gained that changed the forecast. New scientists, new info, new conclusion.

Oil companies do tend to underestimate this sort of thing, yes; but that actually isn't my impression in this particular case. I could be wrong, but it's not my impression at this point.