PDA

View Full Version : High School Reunions- Yay or Nay?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Marge_Simpson
05-24-2010, 07:09 AM
I went to my 10 year reunion, it was horrid.
All the bitches in my graduating class were even worse bitches ten years later.
At least 20 people had become physical therapists and were handing out business cards, trying to drum up business.
Whoever organized the thing arranged with the DJ to play all the hit songs from our senior year. As I graduated the year "Saturday Night Fever" was released, this didn't go over very well. :lol:

NeilJLeonard
05-24-2010, 01:34 PM
How many people showed up? I'm glad you had so much fun and are already thinking about the next one.
About 150 people, grads & significant others, attended the dinner Saturday night. There were a few others that did not make it Saturday night, but did attend the open bar/meet-and-greet on Friday night, dropped in the event's Hospitality Room at some time during the week-end, or made it to the Sunday morning "don't-hit-the-road-hungry'' Breakfast. Overall, 100+ grads attended some part of the weekend, as did many other grads from other classes near 1960.

As I said, it seemed like everyone attended with the idea of having as much fun as possible. I'm fairly certain that they did...:D

Two drove a fair distance, Kansas & California, to get there. Many still live locally. Only 3 of us live in SE Florida and we've vowed to keep in touch. Since we now have EMail and all that it should be easier to do.

Evidently the next planned event is a graduate picnic for any and all that graduated from the school since it's founding in 1914 to attend on October 16, 2010. That may be worth the trip, but driving for 4 hours both ways makes it an overnighter because the drive exhausted me. Even crossing the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, one of the most remarkable and beautiful few miles of roadway on Earth, doesn't diminish the wearying effect of the miles driven.

I'm getting more news about this, and the event in 2 years, later on this summer. I'm looking forward to it.

NJL

ETA: Actually, I found 5 of us that live in SE FL. I only met two of the young ladies I had crushes on way back then...;)

Moto Guzzi
05-24-2010, 03:42 PM
I went to my 10 year reunion, it was horrid. All the bitches in my graduating class were even worse bitches ten years later. I went to my 10 year reunion and had a good time, probably because I looked better than I had in high school and had a better job than many of my classmates. At a 10 year reunion, people are trying to impress everybody with how well they are doing. By the time you get to a 40th or 50th reunion, nobody cares so much about status. I'll never forget the reaction a friend got when she walked in the door at our 10 year reunion. All through high school, she was very shy. She didn't get much attention because she was on the chunky side, with mousey brown hair and thick glasses. She showed up at the reunion and nobody recognized her at first because she was thin and had traded her glasses for contacts and bleached her hair. She was gorgeous and the change really brought out her personality. People were still talking about it at our recent reunion. I had so much fun talking with her again.

My mother went to her 60th class reunion, but it was the last one her class held. She says only 3 of them are still alive now, and she stays in touch with the other 2. She skipped 2 grades and had just turned 16 when she graduated.

heckles
05-24-2010, 09:20 PM
By the time you get to a 40th or 50th reunion, nobody cares so much about status.

Ah, it's not so much that nobody cares about status by that age, it's that status--and hotness--are much harder to assert and fake by that age so you pretend not to care anymore.

essence_of_soy
05-25-2010, 01:11 AM
I just don't get it.

The few people from my school I would like to be in contact with, I am.

The rest I really have no desire of ever seeing again. :P

I think school reunions are an american thing.
You only have to look at tv shows like GLEE or 90210 to see how social the education system is over there.

NeilJLeonard
05-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Nearly 400 people came to the school's annual alumni dinner. Somebody did a roll call of years and had class members stand as their year was called. The oldest attendees graduated in 1936! In some instances, three generations of graduates were there.
I passed this on as a suggestion to the people that organized the reunion. It seems that many of the members are part of the local historical society & they use the society's monthly meetings for much the same purpose as what you mentioned. They are going to discuss the idea of trying to turn this picnic into an annual event. They'll check with the Historical Society to see if they can help & to see if there is any local interest. I'm interested to see how this works out.

NJL

Moto Guzzi
05-26-2010, 12:14 AM
NJL, my school ties their annual dinner in with their scholarship drive. The students who received scholarships from alumni funds came to the dinner and were introduced to the attendees. Some of the classes fund a scholarship and others donate scholarship money in memory of a teacher or student. I'm thinking about establishing one in memory of my brother.

They hold the alumni dinner in the school cafeteria to keep the costs down (I spent four years avoiding that cafeteria) so that most of the money the diners paid went to the scholarship fund. After the scholarship winners were presented, the MC asked people if they would like to donate for a scholarship for next year and sent the seniors around with buckets to collect money. As a recipient of three scholarships when I graduated, I was happy to contribute because I know how much it helps.

NeilJLeonard
05-26-2010, 01:47 PM
NJL, my school ties their annual dinner in with their scholarship drive. The students who received scholarships from alumni funds came to the dinner and were introduced to the attendees. Some of the classes fund a scholarship and others donate scholarship money in memory of a teacher or student. I'm thinking about establishing one in memory of my brother.

They hold the alumni dinner in the school cafeteria to keep the costs down (I spent four years avoiding that cafeteria) so that most of the money the diners paid went to the scholarship fund. After the scholarship winners were presented, the MC asked people if they would like to donate for a scholarship for next year and sent the seniors around with buckets to collect money. As a recipient of three scholarships when I graduated, I was happy to contribute because I know how much it helps.
Great idea!

I'm still in contact with the people that are running things. I'll present this to them. Maybe something will come of it. Maybe not.

NJL (..either way, thanks...:)...)