PDA

View Full Version : High School Reunions- Yay or Nay?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

emason
04-28-2010, 04:25 PM
My opinion, for what it is worth: I went to high school to get an education. It WAS NOT a country club that I joined with a lifetime membership. My association with the school ended the day I graduated and went out to make my way in the world. I haven't been to one reunion in 46 years and don't plan to start now. Can you tell I didn't enjoy high school much?

SoNaoWat?
04-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Ok, I'll concede. I can see how if HS was total torture for you and you hated it, a reunion would hold no interest whatsoever. But if you were like me, generally well-liked, but not popular, friendly but shy, one of the brainiac group but not the valedictorian or anything, it might be kind of fun.

I can't remember what else we did last time, program-wise, but I read a poem I wrote that made everybody cry, :D and at the 10 we had a video, I think.

skatesindreams
04-28-2010, 05:02 PM
I went to my 10th (HS); saw only one person that I hoped would be there, (in a class of over 500), and said "Never Again"!

orbitz
04-28-2010, 05:07 PM
It really depends on what kind of memories you have of your high school experiences, how fond you are of them, and how many people from those days you would truly be delighted in seeing again. If you are only so-so or meh on any of those then I don't see the point of going....unless of course you've become a superstar and want to go back to say "Neh, neh, neh. LOOK AT ME" :lol:

Cyn
04-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Ok, I'll concede. I can see how if HS was total torture for you and you hated it, a reunion would hold no interest whatsoever. But if you were like me, generally well-liked, but not popular, friendly but shy, one of the brainiac group but not the valedictorian or anything, it might be kind of fun.

That's kind of how I was in HS - I had a core group of friends who came from different cliques, but somehow the five of us got along famously. The five years I was there (our HS was 8th-12th - there was no Jr. High or Middle School until the year after I graduated), I never fully associated with any one group.

My friends came from all groups - the brainiac/academic crowd, the burners :smokin: (it still cracks me up that our HS actually had a designated smoking section for students :rofl: ), athletes, the uber-:drama: arteests, band geeks, cheerleaders, etc. I was a majorette for 4 years and a cheerleader my Senior year, but I was also editor of our Literary "magazine" (one big issue done every year), in Chorale/Women's chorus, Interact (youth division of the Rotary Club), and so on and so forth. I blended fairly well until midway through Senior year when I decided I was pissed at the world and went punk (the attempted Annabella Lwin shaved head/hairstyle went over *real* well with the cheerleading squad :rofl: ).

Matter of fact, some of the gals I've reconnected with on FB are planning a get-together for the females from our class for later this summer - sort of a mini-reunion, only without any of the guys. For the first time, I'm really looking forward to seeing a lot of the people I lost touch with following graduation.

My mother was president of her Senior class, and as such, she's usually in charge of planning their reunions (with help from the other class officers and a few volunteers. Last year was their 50th :wideeyes: , and they had an absolute blast. I actually went to Mom's 40th reunion with her as my Dad always felt like a fish out of water at those kinds of events (he was 13 years older than Mom, plus he had no interest in his own reunions), and that started a trend of many of her classmates bringing their daughters (having graduated in 1959, most of them did what they were "supposed" to do and got married and started breeding around the same time, so all of their kids are roughly the same age :lol: . I've made some good friends that way, and our parents think it's a hoot that they've passed "their" friendships down to the next generation.

danceronice
04-28-2010, 05:25 PM
I really can't imagine bothering unless someone REALLY pestered me about it. (Someone where I actually felt something beyond indifference about them in a positive direction.)

It may also be a family thing. My mother went to the same high school as me and has never done reunions (unless you count inadvertently as one of our English teachers is one of her classmates) and I doubt my dad's ever even though about going to his. I think he went to two different high schools, both in Detroit, and I can't imagine why he'd bother.

I might consider at some point heading to my UNIVERSITY homecoming (we're very small and close-knit even when we don't actually know each other. W&L tends to create rather pathological devotion among alumni.)

Debbie S
04-28-2010, 05:33 PM
My 20th (how did that happen? :eek:) h.s. reunion is this weekend. I'm not going. I haven't been to any. I liked my h.s., but I just don't feel attached to my class, so I have no desire to see any of them again. It's not personal - I started in 10th grade (school is a K-12 private school) so I was always kind of on the outside. I got a great education, and I give each year to the annual fund, but I'm just not into my classmates. If I'd gone there since 1st grade, I'd probably be real gung-ho on reunion, but it's just kind of meh to me.

I went to my 5th college reunion but not to the next 2. I had a good time at my 5th and it was good to see everyone, but I got kind of cynical about it approaching the 10th - why do I need to spend money for flight, hotel, meals, reg fee just to see people that I only see at reunion? At my 5th, I did reconnect with someone I hadn't been in touch with - she lives about an hour away - and we did get together a few times after that, but we lost touch again. Eh, whatever. In 3 years, if I feel I've accomplished enough in my life that I won't look like a tree stump in front of my classmates, I might go to the 20th, or I might not bother either way.

Jayar
04-28-2010, 05:46 PM
While I can't say that I have lived every one of your experiences in high school, I can say that my experience was a mixed bag. I had those who loved me and those who wanted to beat me up... no in between. But I am going to my 20th reunion because I spent so much time with these people, and I want to physically see them again. There were only 102 graduates in my class, and I believe that there are only 92 of left. Of that, I believe that 50% are coming to the reunion. We are having a potluck at a park. It costs nothing to attend (I grew up in an economically depressed area), and our little facebook group is growing in excitement. Most of us know what we are all up to thanks to facebook, so we'll just focus on having a good time. WHEEE!

bobalina77
04-28-2010, 05:50 PM
I can't believe some schools have a 5 year reunion.. I don't think enough changes in 10 years! Like I said.. I didn't go to my 10th but I did go to my best friend's 10th because that was who I hung out with in highschool. You'd be surprised how many people thought I had actually graduated with them. I had actually graduated the year before haha. The interesting thing was how everyone kinda mingled at the beginning but sure enough an hour in everyone was in their own little cliques again.

Civic
04-28-2010, 05:53 PM
I attended my high school class 10 year reunion and had a good time. I attended college half way across the country and hadn't really kept in touch with most of my classmates so it was nice seeing people again and catching up with one another. I started grad school shortly afterwards then moved to another state and lost touch with people again.:(

OTOH, I've attended 4 of my college class' reunions and will probably attend our 30-year reunion next summer. The difference is that my college does a better job of keeping in touch with its alumni than my old high school and I've kept in better touch with my college classmates than I did with the folks from high school.

Veronika
04-28-2010, 06:26 PM
My class had a 5-year reunion, but it was very poorly attended (about 25 people out of 400.) I didn't go to that one, I thought it was pointless since not much happens in 5 years.

I did go to my 10-year reunion, and I had fun. But the odd thing was that people still stuck with their old groups/cliques when they were chatting...old habits die hard? When we sat down to have dinner, most people sat with their old HS groups. (My HS had a reputation of being very clique-y, and I guess that's still true.)

I did end up talking to some people who I hadn't talked to since elementary school, which was interesting.

If we do have a 15-year reunion, I will proably go. But we'll see.

Aimless
04-28-2010, 06:31 PM
I went to a prep school and the reunions are held every five years over a weekend in the old dormitories. They are well organized and comfortable for spouses and kids if you want to bring them along. The experiences are close to magical. There's an intimacy and a knowledge and acceptance between us, even with people I did not know at all, that I never experience at any other time. These people can journey back with me to the dawning of adult consciousness. I've been reminded of things I did, said, or created that I'd completely forgotten. I know of instances where unhappy misunderstandings that plagued us into adulthood were cleared up in a minute or two. You are free to talk to anybody, even those super popular girls or football types who you couldn't approach when you were in high school. You can rewrite your own personal history. People will tell you, often generously and kindly, how they perceived you back then and that can be a real eye opener in a good way.

Furthermore there are countless stories of romantic reconnections or connections at these events. It happened to me and was a really profound experience.

Clearly, reading these responses and having talked to people about this before, the reunion experience is different and not fun for a lot of people. But I always come away from these reunions feeling connected and knowing myself better.

Aceon6
04-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Haven't been to any, although I have been curious and was hoping to attend the 40th. I was a loner in HS with only a few, close friends. Most of the reunion folks are people I'd categorize as acquaintances.

Unfortunately, most of the committee folks now live about an hour south of the school and pick restaurants in their communities, so what could be a 90 minute drive is closer to 2 1/2 hours, making it a tough decision. Our family doesn't live there anymore, so I'd have no place to stay. If they'd do something closer, I'll go to the 50th.

PDilemma
04-28-2010, 06:45 PM
My class had a 5-year reunion, but it was very poorly attended (about 25 people out of 400.) I didn't go to that one, I thought it was pointless since not much happens in 5 years.

I did go to my 10-year reunion, and I had fun. But the odd thing was that people still stuck with their old groups/cliques when they were chatting...old habits die hard? When we sat down to have dinner, most people sat with their old HS groups. (My HS had a reputation of being very clique-y, and I guess that's still true.)

I think all high schools are very clique-y. It's the nature of teenagers. Heck, I think it's the nature of being human. And I increasingly find it strange that we get bent out of shape when the kids in band hang out together and the kids in sports hang out together, etc...In all actuality, it is perfectly normal for people to seek out the company of others that they share common interests and abilities with. Somehow, though, when high school kids do it, we find it upsetting. As long as they are all being nice to each other outside those groups, we should relax about that.

But...on topic--what you say about people staying in their groups is the exact thing my aunt says changes dramatically at reunions of 30+ years, making them a heck of a lot more fun, according to her.

CynicElle
04-28-2010, 07:05 PM
I went to my five-year reunion, and it was a complete waste of time; I hung out with my roommate (who had been my best friend in HS) for most of the evening, and nobody I was genuinely curious about showed up.

I've reconnected with a lot of my old classmates via Facebook and it's been interesting to see where everyone's ended up, but I'm not sure that's going to be enough to get me to go to my 25th (:yikes::scream:) next year. I'm still the same old wallflower I was back in high school.