PDA

View Full Version : Classic Examples: TV show stars upstaged by supporting characters

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Seerek
04-27-2010, 03:15 AM
What would be the best example of a TV show originally designed to showcase a main star/protagonist but that person ended up being upstaged eventually By
a more popular supporting character?

cygnus
04-27-2010, 03:17 AM
Happy Days? (Fonzie)

soxxy
04-27-2010, 03:21 AM
Mary Tyler Moore by Rhoda, Lou, Ted, Georgia (?) and Betty White's pre-Martha Stewart creation.....but that was part of Mary's character, usually being the sensible one. (Although one of my favorite episodes was her cracking up at Chuckles the Clown's wake).

Bill Cosby by little Rudi on the Cosby show.

Jubak
04-27-2010, 03:22 AM
Will & Grace. Upstaged by Jack & Megan Mulalley's character (can't remember her name)

caseyedwards
04-27-2010, 03:24 AM
Christine Baransksi stole Cybill Shepherd vehicle Cybill.

Garden Kitty
04-27-2010, 03:28 AM
Happy Days? (Fonzie)

That's the one I was going to say.

Wyliefan
04-27-2010, 03:39 AM
Urkel on Family Matters . . . though I don't know if you could call that the "best" example of anything. :) I liked the show when I was little, but it was really pretty bad. And just kept getting worse.

ilovesalchows
04-27-2010, 03:44 AM
Jason Batemen on Silver Spoons was hotter than Ricky Schroeder. Of course, I was like 7 or 8 at the time and they were some serious studs. consuming my world.

caseyedwards
04-27-2010, 03:49 AM
If you look at Dynasty and Dallas neither started as the Alexis and J.R. shows.

Matryeshka
04-27-2010, 03:51 AM
Spike on Buffy. He was supposed to die in Season 2 when the church crashed in on him and Drusilla, but Joss just couldn't bear to see him die.

Grannyfan
04-27-2010, 03:54 AM
Don Knotts' Barney on the old Andy Griffith Show. It wasn't the same show after he left.

LuckyCharm
04-27-2010, 03:55 AM
Urkel on Family Matters . . . though I don't know if you could call that the "best" example of anything. :) I liked the show when I was little, but it was really pretty bad. And just kept getting worse.

That's an iconic example. That was actually a source of much controversy at the time. The quality of the show was actually pretty strong when it started, at least on par with the other family oriented sitcoms of the day. When Urkel became popular, the writers/producers allowed it to deteriorate into bad slapstick to the dismay of many of the other cast members and some of the original fan base.

I might be in the minority, but I have to add Seinfeld. As far as I was concerned, Jerry could have been written out of the show. George, Elaine, and even Kramer were much more interesting.

Aussie Willy
04-27-2010, 04:37 AM
Will & Grace. Upstaged by Jack & Megan Mulalley's character (can't remember her name)
Karen. Loved her.

Christine Baransksi stole Cybill Shepherd vehicle Cybill.

I love Christine Baranski for her role in that show. She was in a episode of Big Bang Theory as Leonard's mother. Hilarious.

Salem the cat in Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

genevieve
04-27-2010, 06:49 AM
Spike on Buffy. He was supposed to die in Season 2 when the church crashed in on him and Drusilla, but Joss just couldn't bear to see him die.
I think that's a bit different - Spike (and Drusilla :cheer2: ) definitely became fan favorites and Spike ended up being a major player on the show, but I don't think he ever upstaged the main crew - he just joined them. I think the strongest recent example is Jack/Karen on Will & grace, as they were far more interesting than either of the stars.

I would say ALL of the supporting characters upstaged Meredith/Derek when Grey's Anatomy started. She was whiny and annoying and he was nothing but eye candy; the only reason to watch the show was to see Bailey and the other residents. The show has become more of an ensemble over the years, but the Meh/Der storyline to me has always been the weakest thing about it.

MOIJTO
04-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Welcome Back Kotter---Vinnie Barbarino (John Travolta)

Moonlighting----Bruce Willis

Family Ties---Alex P Keaton (Michael J. Fox)

ER---George Clooney