PDA

View Full Version : Classic Examples: TV show stars upstaged by supporting characters

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

AxelAnnie
04-27-2010, 08:02 PM
"The Good Wife" - stars Julianne Margolis (who is wonderful) but Kalinda (Archie Panjabi) is REALLY GREAT. Love her!

genevieve
04-27-2010, 08:08 PM
I would agree that Kalinda is definitely a breakout character. The rest of the cast is strong enough that she doesn't exactly upstage the stars or the main focus, but she is definitely one of the reasons this show is so much more than a typical CBS procedural.

skatingfan5
04-27-2010, 08:18 PM
From the classic Britcom, Are You Being Served, John Inman and Molly Sugden (Mr. Humphries and Mrs. Slocombe) both stole the show from Trevor Bannister (Mr. Lucas), for whom the show was originally designed to spotlight (or so I once read -- not sure how his character could ever have been thought to hold a candle to those other two).

rfisher
04-27-2010, 08:34 PM
fishy, I dunno re: DHP/Nile upstaging Kelsey/Frasier on 'Frasier'. Both characters shone [shined?] most during scenes with each other, or the two of them with their Dad. Many episodes they were pretty much co-leads, thanks to Grammer, who was famously generous in letting his costars steal scenes during the run of the series. (Anyway, those gazillions of dollars probably also help ease KG's prospective discomfort of being upstaged go down easy.)

I call it a draw.

Now, Eddie ... he upstaged the other actors constantly! Literally chewed the scenery. :P

:lol: ITA re Eddie. That was a great dog! I actually feel sorry for Grammer. His two attempts at comedy since have bombed big time. His latest didn't even last 5 episodes.

Ares
04-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Wasn't there tension between SJP and Kim Cattrall when Samantha started becoming a popular character on Sex and the City? I didn't like either character that much anyway.

I agree about Karen and Jack, although Grace (and sometimes Will) were really funny in the earlier seasons as well.

Jackie Sparrow
04-27-2010, 08:50 PM
ER---George Clooney:swoon:

Betty in Ugly Betty by Wilhelmina Slater, Marc & Amanda, Justin & Hilda, etc. :P
Couldn't agree more!

kwanette
04-27-2010, 09:01 PM
The character was called WhitLey, not Whitney. I don't know why I know that, I rarely watched the show, but the oddness of the name must have stuck with me :lol:

I loved the show Valerie, too bad it didn't work out with Valerie Harper but Jason Bateman made it work and I stayed with it through its incarnations as Valerie's Family and then The Hogan Family (didn't Cloris Leachman come in at that point?).

I remember that Sandy Duncan came on the show..as the aunt, right?

genevieve
04-27-2010, 09:14 PM
You're right, it was Sandy Duncan, not Cloris Leachman. And I'd forgotten that the show switched from ABC to CBS in its last season.

PRlady
04-27-2010, 09:49 PM
OK, time for oldies:

Mr. Spock was a breakout character in the original Star Trek. He became far more popular than Kirk, which given Shatner's ego must have been interesting.

Man from UNCLE -- Ilya Kuryokin (actor's name?) became the sex symbol, not the lead, whose name I forget because I really was young when this was on.

Certain characters might only have been on for a story arc but they really dominated. For some reason I'm remembering Miles Drentell, the evil ad agency boss in thirtysomething. He just ate the whole show when he was on.

skatingfan5
04-27-2010, 09:55 PM
OK, time for oldies:

Mr. Spock was a breakout character in the original Star Trek. He became far more popular than Kirk, which given Shatner's ego must have been interesting. Spock! :respec: Kirk squicked me out. :scream:
Man from UNCLE -- Ilya Kuryokin (actor's name?) became the sex symbol, not the lead, whose name I forget because I really was young when this was on.I think the lead character's name was Napoleon Solo -- and was played by Robert Vaughn. Ilya Kuryakin (sp.?) was played by David McCallum -- my sister had a big crush on him, I recall. How do I remember these names?!? Must be from reruns. :shuffle: :lol: I know that I preferred The Avengers and The Prisoner -- I don't think they ran concurrently, though.

Cyn
04-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Man from UNCLE -- Ilya Kuryokin (actor's name?) became the sex symbol, not the lead, whose name I forget because I really was young when this was on.

David McCallum, who now portrays Dr. Mallard (Duckie), the Forensics/M.E. guru on NCIS - he was quite the :swoon: :grope: when he was on Man from U.N.C.L.E. - for a guy in his 60's he's still looking pretty good :D .

(I have no idea who the actual star on MFU was :lol: - I only remember - from reruns - Ilya as he was um, a rather nice piece of eye candy.

MOIJTO
04-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Going back a ways, Danny Bonaduce upstaged David Cassidy on the Partridge Family quite often.

NO NO he didn't, he didn't have the recording career and the groopie girls like David he had the sloppy seconds!

rjblue
04-27-2010, 11:05 PM
When I read the title, I thought maybe it had been inspired by my post yesterday, after I finished watching Dollhouse. Since it wasn't watched by a huge audience, a lot of people missed his performance, but it is clear from reading what fans of the show have to say. The whole cast was good, or great, but Enver Gjokaj (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2222175/) is probably one of the best young actors I've ever seen.

Family Ties and Michael J. Fox is what came to my mind too.

Wyliefan
04-27-2010, 11:55 PM
When I read the title, I thought maybe it had been inspired by my post yesterday, after I finished watching Dollhouse. Since it wasn't watched by a huge audience, a lot of people missed his performance, but it is clear from reading what fans of the show have to say. The whole cast was good, or great, but Enver Gjokaj (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2222175/) is probably one of the best young actors I've ever seen.

I'm partial to Fran Whatshisname myself -- the guy who played Topher -- though they were all good. I just recently saw the episode where Victor was imprinted as Topher, and oh man, I was nearly in hysterics every time the two of them did a scene together. :rofl:

Cheylana
04-28-2010, 12:21 AM
Has J.J. from "Good Times" been mentioned yet? I think his "Dyno-MITE!" schtick took on a life of its own (although in a rather :rolleyes: way), and the actors playing the parents weren't happy about it.

Also, the TV show "Webster" was originally supposed to focus on the parents (and it wasn't supposed to be called Webster either), but Emmanuel Lewis stole the show, and his "parents" weren't happy about that either!