PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Derby 2010

Pages : 1 2 [3]

skipaway
05-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Some quotes from the principals:

"'Lucky,' I quit watching him after the first bump. He was done. I wish (Garrett Gomez) would have pulled him up. That's horse racing. You have good luck and bad luck and I've been lucky to win this race and other guys have had bad luck."

—Baffert couldn't bring himself to watch after 'Lucky was slammed

I'm very surprised at this comment from Bob Baffert. You just don't "pull up" a horse b/c you got bumped. If LAL was injured, absolutely pull him up, but just b/c you feel you lost all chances of winning...that's not a reason. There are patrons who placed wagers on your horse and you'd certainly cheat them. Kent Desormeaux pulled up Big Brown when he wasn't injured in the Belmont...same thing.

"I got stopped cold at the quarter-pole. If I got through, I would have won. He stumbled real bad here at the sixteenth-pole. He must have stepped in a hole. My horse, he ran his heart out. He just didn't have the luck."

—jockey Kent Desormeaux his ride aboard Derby third-placer PADDY O'PRADO (El Prado [Ire])

I think KD didn't see Ice Box coming...and SS was quite a few lengths ahead of him at the end.

"I have never ridden a good horse like him. He's so fast. I just let him do whatever he wanted to. He took the lead easily but I don't know what happened. He ran a good race but he was facing the best horses in the country."

—jockey Martin Garcia, who was aboard early Derby pacesetter and 15th-place finisher CONVEYANCE (Indian Charlie)

I know what happened, Willie. Suicide fractions for the first 1/2 mile.

More Derby Quotes at:

Derby Coverage (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/full_edition.cgi)